?Major General Dennis M. Kenneally's field jacket?

gooseandspoons

gooseandspoons

I picked this up at my local thrift store for $7.

I felt like I was pretty sure I could find out who this field jacket belonged to, even without the name tape. After I did a little searching on the net I found a match.

I believe that this field jacket belonged to Major General Dennis Kenneally former Commanding General of the California Army National Guard.

My question is: How did this end up at a thrift store in NC?

his wife is from Morehead City, NC so maybe one of her family members had donated it to the rescue mission thrift store.

Any ideas?

post-17469-0-08804700-1371440466.jpg

My question is: How did this end up at a thrift store in NC?

his wife is from Morehead City, NC so maybe one of her family members had donated it to the rescue mission thrift store.

Any ideas?

It is amazing how much stiff can travel nowadays. Most likely as you said family was the cause, mostly because the name tape is missing. At the rate people move around the country, it is not hard to imagine how stuff gets around. The jacket could have also been bought online by a collector and then donated by family when say the collector passed. You just never know how it got there, but the good thing is you found it. Nice Find!

gooseandspoons

thanks for the comments guys. I'm proud to add it to my collection. In a small way it has a link to NC and that makes it all the more valuable.

firefighter

Very cool find.I like the German badge of Marksmanship on the jacket.I wonder if black is the silver version?

firefighter

according to Wikipedia the badge is a little bit more than just a marksmanship award. a friend of mine was going to go for it but was soon deployed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Armed_Forces_Badge_for_Military_Proficiency

Oh ya.I know.I forgot what the official title was and when I googled it thats what came up.We have a friends soon that graduated West Point and he qualified for it durn training.Very physical and tough to earn.