Summer Service Mexican Punitive Expedition Uniform and Equipment

The reference to the setup as representing a machine gun unit trooper is a mistake on my part. At the time of the original posting i was not aware of the fact that machine gun units did not exist in 1916. The equipment pictured is correct for the period.

Best, George.

• 2 months later...

George,

Excellent display from one of my favorite periods of collecting! Most folks don't think of something as utilitarian as web gear to be attractive, but the eagle snap stuff certainly qualifies as "attractive" in my book, due to the quality and workmanship of the different pieces. Certainly the best quality as far as American web gear from any period goes...of course, they could afford to make quality when the Army only had 100,000 men. That M1910 belt is awesome and those suspenders are nice too. Thanks for posting.

Alan

teufelhunde.ret

George,

Excellent display from one of my favorite periods of collecting! Most folks don't think of something as utilitarian as web gear to be attractive, but the eagle snap stuff certainly qualifies as "attractive" in my book, due to the quality and workmanship of the different pieces. Certainly the best quality as far as American web gear from any period goes...of course, they could afford to make quality when the Army only had 100,000 men. That M1910 belt is awesome and those suspenders are nice too. Thanks for posting.

Alan

Sure hope you do figure out the photo posting procedure, look forward to seeing those pics!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so I'm just jumping around looking at the different groups and getting acquainted with your whole system.

I opened your post because I remember I had a picture of my three uncles down on the Mexican border chasing Poncho Villa in 1916.

The photo shows, front row left to right, my mother's brother Heinrich (" Henny", his uncle, Sgt. Jack Ledner, Jack's brother (and my godfather) John Ledner.

Inscription along the bottom reads < 2nd Squad - Co. H - 12 Inf. - N.G. U.S. - McAllen, Texas - Dec. 7th '16 >. Having done the same sort of photography, I have to assume that the name on the lower right is that of the photographer.

I don't know if this means anything to anybody… I just thought somebody might be interested.

Marty R

post-152022-0-19389600-1394761748.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so I'm just jumping around looking at the different groups and getting acquainted with your whole system.

I opened your post because I remember I had a picture of my three uncles down on the Mexican border chasing Poncho Villa in 1916.

The photo shows, front row left to right, my mother's brother Heinrich (" Henny", his uncle, Sgt. Jack Ledner, Jack's brother (and my godfather) John Ledner.

Inscription along the bottom reads < 2nd Squad - Co. H - 12 Inf. - N.G. U.S. - McAllen, Texas - Dec. 7th '16 >. Having done the same sort of photography, I have to assume that the name on the lower right is that of the photographer.

I don't know if this means anything to anybody… I just thought somebody might be interested.

Marty R

Marty---this may be helpful---I've done a lot of research in this area...I believe your picture is from the 12th New York Infantry---they were the only 12th infantry in the McAllen area during that time period. The Guard units weren't permitted to cross the border so they ended up spending a lot of time patrolling the border and swallowing dust...Most of the soldiers in the 12th were not happy that their NY NG commander--General O'Ryan, volunteered the NY Guard to stay on the border "for as long as it takes." while many of the other state's units were already going home...

Al

• 3 weeks later...

The reference to the setup as representing a machine gun unit trooper is a mistake on my part. At the time of the original posting i was not aware of the fact that machine gun units did not exist in 1916. The equipment pictured is correct for the period.

Best, George.

At least some of the regular cavalry regiments had MG platoons as early as 1914 (for instance, 1st Cavalry at Calexico, and 7th Cavalry in the Philippines (by a provisional TOE)). At least one became an MG company that year, too. Others were called MG Troops. Even some National Guard units had MG platoons or companies.

Maybe you are strict on whether or not any cavalry took machine-guns into Mexico. I don't know if they did or not. But there were definitely machine guns in the army in 1916, in dedicated platoons/troops/companies.

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

nice setup, my greatgrandad spent some time down there in "16" but he was infantry so his outfit had some differences, lol

mars&thunder

Wonderful. I love the job forum members do in pulling together representative displays. Not something I do, but I appreciate the context it gives for the things I do.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
Salvage Sailor
On 4/1/2008 at 12:35 PM, cavsaddle said:

post-2782-1207089297.jpg

Bolo in wear 1914, Medical Unit, 4th US Cavalry

004g.jpg.5c46189bfc59e8febf950079f86ed609.jpg