WWII POW Stalag ID CARDS issued to Americans - Collection

KASTAUFFER

Here is my newest one. Barracks card from Stalag Luft 1 to a Navigator from the 2nd Bomb Group, 15th AAF , captured 1/24/44.

scar.JPG

• 1 month later...

This is late war set of cards to a Pilot from the 305th Bomb Group. He was captured January 1, 1945 and held in Stalag Luft 1 in Barth.

At this point in the war the Germans didn't even affix photos to the cards.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here are 2 cards that are part of a group I just bought at the SOS.

He flew with the 94th BG , 8th AAF , and was shot down 10/7/44

webb1.jpg

webb2.jpg

• 1 year later...
KASTAUFFER

Here is a personnel card I just acquired to a 34th Division POW captured in Feb 1943 in North Africa. It's the only one from an American in Stalag IIB I have ever seen.

UPDATE: I just got it in the mail from the Auction house. It was a color photocopy!!! It will be going back. I am a bit bummed because I needed one from this camp for my collection. The search continues.

IMG_8915.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

My latest acquisition from a member of the 45th/157th who was captured at Anzio and held at VIIB.

The overlayed patch also came with the lot.

Thanks again for your guidance on this one Kurt.

post-8987-0-16712800-1495816544_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've been meaning to share this Stalag ID card I picked up a few months ago and finally got around to scanning it today. The card is named to a bombardier with the 92nd Bomb Group, who's B-17 was shot down on March 16, 1944 by German fighters. His estate was sold piecemeal on E-Bay and I was fortunate enough to pick up a few items of his, to include this card.

One interesting aspect of this piece is that the vet produced a two disc DVD in which he spoke of his WWII and POW experiences. I was able to get the set with the card. In the DVD, he talked specifically about this card and how he swiped it when they were liberated. He also told a story about when he was filling out card initially. Apparently the German Sgt. who was watching him fill it out, saw that he started to write down that he was Jewish. The Sgt. stopped him, shook his head "no", and told him to write down Protestant instead. You can kinda see on the card where he stated to write the "J".

post-330-0-65412800-1501352330_thumb.jpg

post-330-0-37387700-1501352338_thumb.jpg

This 95th Bomb Group B-17 pilot went down at Brunswick, Germany on his 24th mission. The date was 10 Feb 1944. He was wounded and captured immediately and ended up at Stalag Luft 1. Following wars end he remained in the USAF retiring as a LtColonel. These docs are among his many military papers in the collection. The Kriegie photo from his barracks card was used on the recommendation letter for promotion. interesting. Bobgee

IMG_20170113_0007.jpg

IMG_20170113_0009 b.jpg

IMG_20170113_0011 a.jpg

WOW all 3 of the new cards are great examples! I especially like the fact you have that DVD Nic. It makes the history come alive. I have a group with a 2 hour interview on VHS with it. I quickly put it on a CD.

Kurt

• 1 month later...

Well worn personnel card from Dulag Luft to a Stalag Luft 6 POW who was shot down flying with the 95th Bomb group on 2/10/44.

IMG_0072.PNG

This 95th Bomb Group B-17 pilot went down at Brunswick, Germany on his 24th mission. The date was 10 Feb 1944. He was wounded and captured immediately and ended up at Stalag Luft 1. Following wars end he remained in the USAF retiring as a LtColonel. These docs are among his many military papers in the collection. The Kriegie photo from his barracks card was used on the recommendation letter for promotion. interesting. Bobgee

Hey Bob! I just noticed that the cards you posted and the one I just posted today are both from 95th BG POWs captured on the same day! Not the same plane unfortunately.

Kurt

Captainofthe7th

Hi Kurt, thanks for sharing all of these. I think this is my first time viewing this topic and I'm glad I found it. I did not know of these documents but I feel like now I will be hoping that one appears in every box of ephemera I rummage through. These are really really cool pieces!

Rob

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

Part of a group I recently acquired . He was a gunner from the 385th BG captured 2/24/44 and held in Stalag Luft 6, 4, and 1.

IMG_1945.PNG

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Obtained this group recently. He was a B-17 pilot from Dallas, Texas flying his 2nd mission with the 306th Bomb Group to Munster when he was shot down on 22 June, 1943. He was wounded and spent the rest of the war in StalagLuft 3.

Johson LUFT 3 POW FILE CARD.jpgJohson LUFT 3 POW I.D. TAG.jpg

Obtained this group recently. He was a B-17 pilot from Dallas, Texas flying his 2nd mission to Munster when he was shot down on 22 June, 1943. He was wounded and spent the rest of the war in StalagLuft 3.

attachicon.gifJohson LUFT 3 POW FILE CARD.jpgattachicon.gifJohson LUFT 3 POW I.D. TAG.jpg

Nice group Bob! Love his capture photo. You have quite a nice pile of POW groups collection.

Kurt

This "Lucky Bastard Club" came with his group. Have not seen this form before and believe it to be a reunion piece, Clearly he was not a "Lucky Bastard" having been shot down on his 2nd mission - though he was a survivor!

IMG_20181226_0002.jpg

• 5 months later...

Its been a while since one got added so here we go!

This is the first card I have found from Stalag IVB. He was captured during the Battle of the Bulge with the 422nd Inf, 106th Division.

01766446354450e66118572cf0160875fb768bb474.jpg

01e87a2b9a0d445cb46d1c243b58ed78a9c3d980e9.jpg