WWII POW Stalag ID CARDS issued to Americans - Collection

KASTAUFFER

ive loved seeing them Kurt fantastic pieces of history !! i have been commenting on them as you have been posting them !! :)

Glad you enjoyed them!

Kurt

Thanks for sharing, very interesting to read. In the last image where it says "Chicago Luft Gangster" at the bottom...is that on the mounting that you added or original?

The card is stuck in his POW diary and he wrote the comment below. He must have added the card into his diary after liberation.

Kurt

Fantastic Kurt, thanks for posting these.

No problem, I am guessing you like the Stalag VIIB and Oflag 64 ones the best !

Kurt

WOW! You're right Kurt, these are rare! I've read of a few POWs finding their card and taking them, but I would think most were gathered by the Army along with other documents from the camp.

Very cool Kurt. You're POW related items are second to none. These cards are very tough to find and much rarer than I think most people are aware. Thanks for sharing them!

JD

This ID card was issued to Ike's personal Aide who was captured in North Africa in 1943. I even have a signed photo of Ike he gave to this man in 1945 after he was liberated.

attachicon.gifStauffer 011.jpg

I wish we could know the circumpstances of his capture

Because Lt. Campbell had never had any campaign experience, he and Ike felt it would be good for him to get some experience with a reserve division for about 3 weeks. During an advance he was separated from the rest of the battalion and was captured. He spent 22 months in Oflag 64. He was able to keep his close relationship with Ike secret for the first 18 months. More can be found here: http://books.google.com/books?id=l99-wRwIiugC&pg=PA79&lpg=PA79&dq=1st+Lt.+Craig+D.+Campbell&source=bl&ots=Pcw2P-nRii&sig=rKFLtaveaj4B4B-8UZ3ET08SvZA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=SBrCUfviM6rJygHHqoGwCQ&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=1st%20Lt.%20Craig%20D.%20Campbell&f=false

Great thread Kurt!

He was captured near El Guettar while with the 9th Division . This is from an auction catalog that featured the letter Ike sent home to his Aide's parents. I won the majority of the lots, but not this letter:

campbell.JPG

Here are a few of Campbell's souvenirs:

Here is an autographed photo of Ike to Campbell and 2 souvenirs Campbell kept. They are receipts for Ike's boots and Ribbon bars from shops in England. Looks like Ike had a bunion.

post-105-1294527400.jpg

post-105-1294527410.jpg

post-105-1294527418.jpg

Here are a few of Campbell's souvenirs:

Here is an autographed photo of Ike to Campbell and 2 souvenirs Campbell kept. They are receipts for Ike's boots and Ribbon bars from shops in England. Looks like Ike had a bunion.

attachicon.gifpost-105-1294527400.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-105-1294527410.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-105-1294527418.jpg

Wow! Great items! It was great to hear the rest of his story.

JD

The Golden Eagle spoke to me :)

Kurt

Did the eagle also remind you that my birthday is coming up and those will fit nicely into a birthday card, doesn't even have to be a Hallmark. :D

• 1 month later...

Here is one that I have to a Lt. who was Co-Pilot of a 390th Bomb Group B-17 shot down on a mission to Emden on December 11, 1943. The entire crew was able to bail out and all became POW's.

post-4651-0-47984800-1376858547.jpg

• 2 months later...

Kurt,

I have a copy of a POW card to a member of E Company 141st Infantry, 36th Infantry Division. He was captured in January 1944 at the Rapido River crossing in Italy. It was the Soldiers 21st birthday. I also have a copy of the Red Cross statement that he gave on his treatment after he was liberated by the Russians and returned to US hands. He gave the statement at Camp Lucky Strike before being sent home.

You have an incredible collection of POW memorabilia. Thank you very much for educating us on this topic

Leigh

• 3 months later...

Here is set to a 306th BG POW who evaded for 3 months from April 1943 until July 1943 when the Gestapo picked him up in Paris.

He was also Jewish and had changed his name from Solomon to Sanders before he went into the Army.

Notice his POW ID has his religion listed as " Agnostic "

MVC-033L.JPG

MVC-036L.JPG

MVC-037L.JPG

MVC-038L.JPG

• 4 months later...

This is a Stalag Luft 3 barracks card to an AAF pilot who earned his RCAF wings first. He was transferred to the AAF, but continued to fly as the pilot of a Lancaster Bomber with 622 Squadron until he was shot down and captured.

b3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Example of a Stalag Luft 3 PersonalKarte I just picked up as part of a larger group to a North Carolina lad who was a Bombardier with the 390th BG shot down on the 8/17/43 Schweinfurt/Regensburg mission.

IMG_1391.JPG