WWII POW Stalag ID CARDS issued to Americans - Collection

KASTAUFFER

I did a thread devoted to POW dogtags a while ago, and thought I should do a sister thread devoted to the POW ID cards created by the Germans for Americans. The survival rate of these cards is much less than the metal dogtags.

There are 2 types of cards:

1. Personnel Card ( Personalkarte or Kriegsgefangenkartei ) - This card was the record card kept by the Germans with personal information, How he was captured , and a record of camp transfers . These are the largest in size .

2. Barracks Cards - These cards were used by the Germans during appel ( formation ) or during ID tag checks to make sure POWs hadn't escaped or switched tags with another POW to hide the identity of an escapee. These are smaller in size.

These cards are very scarce and do not turn up regularly. This thread represents 30 years of searching for these.

In my experience the cards from ground camps are scarcer than those from airmen's camps, but the "Luft" variety sell for more.

The POWs took these from the camp offices at the end of the war in most cases. That is the reason some camp cards are more common than others. Stalag Luft I never moved, and a lot of those cards seem to have survived as compared to Stalag Luft III, Luft 4, and 17B.

AIRMAN CAMPS

Stalag Luft I .

Personnel Card to a Jewish American who served with the 379th BG , 8th AAF . Notice the Germans wrote JUDE on the face of the card. The card was created at DULAG LUFT , which was the processing center for captured airmen.

Stauffer 019.jpg

His barracks card. It is in his POW diary and he wrote the caption " Chicago Luft Gangster" below .

Stauffer 021.jpg

This is the Personnel Card for a Ploesti veteran who was captured a month after the raid. He was initially held in OFLAG VA , and was later transferred to Stalag Luft I .

Stauffer 014.jpg

This is a barracks card from a 303rd BG, 8th AAF vet held in Stalag Luft I .

Stauffer 010.jpg

STALAG LUFT III

Personnel Card from a 493rd BG , 8th AAF veteran

Stauffer 007.jpg

barracks card from a fighter pilot with the 27th Fighter Bomber Group

Stauffer 023.jpg

barracks card from a 455th Bomb Group vet.

001.jpg

STALAG LUFT 4

Personnel Card a Jewish American who served with the 453rd Bomb Group .

Stauffer 005.jpg

STALAG 17B

barracks card from a 306th Bomb Group vet in Stalag 17B . This is the only intact example I have ever seen from this camp. This guy looks a little too happy. Maybe he was just glad to have survived.

Stauffer 009.jpg

GROUND CAMPS

OFLAG 64

Personnel Card from a 179th Infantry , 45th Division officer

Stauffer 001.jpg

This ID card was issued to Ike's personal Aide who was captured in North Africa in 1943. I even have a signed photo of Ike he gave to this man in 1945 after he was liberated.

Stauffer 011.jpg

STALAG XIIA

Personnel Card issued at Stalag XIIA to a 821st Tank Destroyer Bn vet .

Stauffer 003.jpg

STALAG VIIB

Personnel Card issued to a 45th Division veteran captured at Anzio

Stauffer 012.jpg

Well folks, this wraps it up. I hope you enjoy seeing these examples. If you have any, feel free to add them to this thread!

Kurt

littlebuddy

ive loved seeing them Kurt fantastic pieces of history !! i have been commenting on them as you have been posting them !! :)