WWII and the music of the 40's

trav NC

I am interested in gaining some info on what records or musicians a soldier may have listened to in camp while playing cards or hanging out with fellow comrades i.e., Bing Crosby? Ella Fitzgerald? Nat King Cole? Others?

Thanks!

-trav NC

littlebuddy

there are loads of artists that one would have listened to , is there anything in particular you are after ?

the music scene of the 1940's and 1950's is somthing im very heavily into Trav

drop me a pm if you want maybe i can help further

Carl

littlebuddy

Arty Shaw Benny Goodman Count Basie Fats Waller the list is endless even Petula Clark sang for the troops

I must admit im more into the "lindy hop" tempo !!

bunkerhillburning

Trav, are you familiar with Pandora online radio? Its a free web site on which you can listen to whatever type of music you like. There are ads every so often but what a great site. You type in a musicians name or style of music. Pandora plays a piece of music and you can click a thumbs up or thumbs down logo. By doing this Pandora begins to fine tune what you are listening to and you create your own radio channel.

I have a WWII radio station set up on Pandora but unfortunately not all the music is from that time period. Most of it is but Pandora will still play similar musicians from after the war and sometimes from the 1930s. So far its the best I have yet to find for online stations.

I have fine tuned a couple stations with one for Motown, one for Sam Cooke, others for more modern music. Its a great web site - hope it is of help.

OR you can search ebay for ' WWII Radio ' and more than likely come up with a ton of CDs featuring the music from the time period. I have a few of these CDs ( now in storage sad to say) but there are some very good compilations of music from the time period out there.

bunkerhillburning

Al Bowlly ' Midnight, The Stars and You ' A fantastic piece of music from the time period. Bowlly was killed during the London Blitz.

littlebuddy

Al Bowlly ' Midnight, The Stars and You ' A fantastic piece of music from the time period. Bowlly was killed during the London Blitz.

sweet !

bunkerhillburning

Billie Holiday ' God Bless the Child ' from 1943. Holiday is one of a kind. This woman was introduced to me by a wonderful man who was training to fly PBYs in 1945. This guy introduced me to many great jazz musicians and music from the war years.

He was mad for Holiday and now I am. Her voice is unlike any I have ever heard.

bunkerhillburning

Heres a real staple from the time period ' Chattanooga Choo Choo ' performed by Glenn Miller. But it was done by so many different artists. Still, a real classic and one of the most famous WWII pieces I can think of.

bunkerhillburning

wow - just found this guys youtube channel. Did a cursory check on his WWII radio playlist and he really knows his stuff. Here is a link with 37 classic songs from the period. Its a playlist so they should play back to back. Brother, there are some serious classics in there.

Make note of the groups or artists and then search them out on youtube for even more music!

( How the heck did I forget Vera Lynn's " We'll Meet Again "? ) thats the first one in this guy's playlist.

Al Bowlly ' Midnight, The Stars and You ' A fantastic piece of music from the time period.

Bowlly was killed during the London Blitz.

As used in the closing credits of The Shinning.

I'm a big Harry James fan, my favorite of the era.

LF

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
Sgt. BARney

Google KCEA (Memories (89 One) and stream their broadcast. All 30's and 40's music - except some Friday nights when they do live broadcast of their high school team :). Also, google "The 1920's Radio Network" and stream it - lots of 20's, 30's and 40's. Both free of charge!!! Good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

A really excellent book that gives you a complete feel for the era is "The Big Bands" by George Simon. Not sure if it is still in print but there are several versions of it and is usually not too difficult to find.