THOMPSON TA-5 Pistol - AKA "TOMMY GUN"

ChuckyD

Trooper B.A.R

One thing I found, when ammo started climbing, was reloading, and bullet molding. I cast my own, for the M1 carbine with gas checks. The Thompson, and when I owned it, my MP40 with gas checks. I cast 200 gr, round nose. They work excellent, even in full auto.

If I ever sell my Thompson, or didn't own one and wanted one, I would not hesitate to purchase Khars SBR model. I know many that own the semi version, and see them fired at the ranges around here all the time. Those that own them, and worked out the kinks, mostly by firing rounds through them, are very happy.

Just remember if you do get the pistol, don't marry a stock on it, otherwise it becomes a "short barrel" rifle, and need ATF stamp, and approval for modification.

Sgt Saunders

You guys do know that you could have just trimmed the top of the magazine catch and you could use regular GI mags without ruining them.

+1 on that! I just bought another mag catch and modified it and mine takes USGI mags now. Why ruin a good GI mag when there are aftermarket mag catches you can modify? I tried a reduced spring kit and it didn't work so well. The pull was reduced but it would fire out of battery. I put the stock spring back in and it shoots great. I shoot reloads in mine and get a clunker or two once and awhile, but never with factory loads. I've a feeling the chamber is a tad tight. I don't shoot steel cases ammo as I was advised it eats up the extractor. Anyone have a problem with this type of ammo?

Mine is a blast to shoot. I'm one of those guys that can't afford a full auto too, so this is the next best thing. It weighs the same. Everyone that shoots it gets a big smile on there face afterwords. If you look around they can still be had used at a reasonable price. They didn't go sky high like everything else did. There cheap to shoot if you reload too. They may not have the range like the M1 Garand but I wouldn't want to get "stitched up" by one at close range.

Garandomatic

Unless a GI part swaps in, I don't think they had aftermarket parts in 2007, unless you dealt with the factory. It took a solid week of calling from 2:30 PM to 5 PM when I was having problems with mine concerning the bolt that they made .030" too shallow in the bolt face just to get a hold of someone. Even when they finally sent a bolt after having the gun at the factory for 8 weeks, I wasn't about to spend another week on the phone for that crap. People demil mags for display all the time to conform to idiotic laws, I made $20 mags from gun shows work in my gun to actually shoot. If the part is readily available now (and can be ordered with less than 13 hours of telephone time), well, change the mag catch, sure.