THOMPSON TA-5 Pistol - AKA "TOMMY GUN"

ChuckyD

After searching for over 5+ years, I finally found a Kahr Arms Auto Ordnance version of this pistol. This Thompson TA-5 BEAUTY was made from the original blue prints and meets all specifications according to the rich history of this weapon. I have not put rounds down range yet with it but will report when I do so.

SF
Chuck

post-110409-0-59840200-1371396387.jpg

A gunshop here has both this one and the Kahr M1A1 (I think that's the right nomenclature) for sale. I've played with the idea of buying one of them, but haven't yet "pulled the trigger" (sorry for the pun!) as they aren't cheap (the ones here are both ~$1500 each) and I've read conflicting reviews of them. Apparently, the more recently made ones are better than the original reproduction models, but that's just from what I've read. I'd be interested in hearing how you like this one!

Dave

Garandomatic

i hope they killed the bolt face deep enough to extract the spent casings. Mine, which was built in December 2006 was nothing but trouble. i was glad to get rid of mine after i repaired it when the awb panic was high. Didn't lose much on the deal. All that being said, i really do hope it works great for you. I remember how i felt when i picked mine up. I was so excited i couldn't count my money right to pay. Keep your eye on the extractor slot on the bolt, too. the replacement bolt they sent developed cracks there back in about 2008.

Don't believe the hype, they were not made from "the original blue prints and meets all specifications...". They are a poor imitation at best.

Trooper B.A.R

I know several that have bought these, and call them their "Funguns". They say its a family outing and most the wives enjoy shooting them also, and haven't had a problem.

My brother bought their SB model, (each made as order comes through, so not many made. Almost custom made). Said he's never had a hic-cup, and enjoys shooting it since he cannot afford a real Thompson. Its also proved to be an investment for him. He paid 1250.00, prices have gone up, and been offered 1800.00 just last week.

bigkahunasix

Have had a couple of these, stay with FMJ or cast equivalent and you should be fine. They, as a general rule do not like SWC or HP ammo at all. My current on is very accurate, shooting under 2in. at approx. 35yds. if I do my part.

Cobrahistorian

I've got the M1A1 version too. Just took it out to the range for the first time a few months ago. Other than some magazine issues, it shot very well at 25 yards. Been debating the SBR issue, but I think I'm gonna leave it as is for now. I've got the short barrel and maybe someday I'll switch em out (legally of course)

I know of 8K for an nice one. My point is if you just want a replica, but a non firing example, if you want a firing Model, get the real thing.

I don't collect firearms, but what I do collect is not replicas of real thing. I realize automatic weapons are illegal, but why purchase half way pieces.

I'm not trying to be a smart@$$, I just don't agree that it is a good investment.

I know of 8K for an nice one. My point is if you just want a replica, but a non firing example, if you want a firing Model, get the real thing.

I don't collect firearms, but what I do collect is not replicas of real thing. I realize automatic weapons are illegal, but why purchase half way pieces.

I'm not trying to be a smart@$$, I just don't agree that it is a good investment.

In the world of firearms, buying one of these isn't like buying a repro tanker jacket (or whatever...) in the case of this gun, it's still a very nice example of an aesthetically pleasing firearm, copied off an older model or not. I was looking at buying something along the genre of an AR 15...but then saw one of these and was attracted to it. Not only does it look nice, but if they fire well, it would be a nice plinker as well. Putting out $1500 or $1800 for one of these is like putting out the same amount of money on any other firearm...copy or not...

My opinion...

Dave

Garandomatic

In a world where people put an easy $50,000 in a fiberglass street rod because the real steel is harder to find, these Tommy Guns make sense for people that DO collect guns. I would wager I could find a decent real steel '32 Ford PROJECT a lot quicker than I could a LEGAL (machine guns aren't illegal if they were registered legally, just tightly regulated) Thompson available for purchase.

When mine worked well, it was a hoot. Freaking bullet hose, I'd dump a mag and a steady stream of casings would pour out of it, and accurate enough that I think I could take a groundhog at 100 yards with the peep sight. I blasted two of them out of my bedroom window when I lived at home with my folks at 30 and 40 yards, easy as pie. I was unfortunate enough to have one with a basket full of problems from the factory, and had a very, very bad experience with their customer service people, so I'm soured on the brand indefinitely, but if you guys' Thompsons work, that's great, and a bunch of fun.

Trooper B.A.R

Just a few words on semi firearms. For some reason collectors and shooters will flock for M1A, AR15s, etc. Copies of auto military weapons, without hesitation. But there seems to be an enigma about a Thompson semi buying. From my view, when they first offered the SBR version, (it is a short barrel and one must go through proper paperwork), they sold for 1250.00, and only made one at a time as they are ordered. Since then the price has risen, and are sought after for recreators, collectors that can't afford the real thing. Getting one from order, verification of serial number when they are ready to make one, getting the number to then put on application, and finally receiving approval can be as much as 6 months or more,

As to fully-auto, there are some 5, to under 10,000.00 ones out there, but these maybe between dealers and Law enforcements only. Those that can be sold between collectors, are 20,000.00 upward. I have one, and just sold an MP40 for 27,000.00. The dealer that handled the sale, asked if my Thompson was coming up for sale, he offered me, 27,000.00 to buy outright. So go figure!

Yes, they have been an investment. As to the SBR, word is out that sometimes in the future they may no longer offer it, if any at present because of the gun laws, and restrictions being talked about and proposed.

If I didn't have a fully-auto, durn right I would purchase one for the fun factor, and collectable it will hold.

Gentlemen, I am guilty of one of the basic rules of life and collecting......collect what YOU want and what makes YOU happy.

I get carried away at time and forget that there each of us have reasons for what we like, and what we do.....my APOLOGIES!

Trooper B.A.R

Gentlemen, I am guilty of one of the basic rules of life and collecting......collect what YOU want and what makes YOU happy.

I get carried away at time and forget that there each of us have reasons for what we like, and what we do.....my APOLOGIES!

Your opinion isn't alone. I/we hear it all the time about the semi-Thompsons. Especially at ranges when someone is shooting one, you'll hear negative comments. Yet, those of us that do have Fully-Autos, and do fire them in the semi setting position many times,(3-4 hours of re-loading, can be eaten up in 10 minutes), are a little more lenient in our comments.

The semi's with a little work, and also time, make great shooters, and very accurate.

But this is a very good conversation here, also there are some great buys on used out there on these replica semi autos.

I had one and the magazines are cut different than actual Thompson magazines, so the only way to make a actual Thompson mag work is to oval out the hole of the real ones, and if you get it wrong, it is ruined. Mine was very finicky even with ball ammo and I spent more time clearing jams and firing it, so I sold it. I took the money and bought a parts kit with a dummy receiver. Besides, .45 ammo is getting real expensive to shoot anymore.

.........(3-4 hours of re-loading, can be eaten up in 10 minutes)

I have heard this from shooters. They tell me there is a special tool that is used to push the rounds into the magazine, because the spring is so tight. They also say you can't do it by hand. :o

Garandomatic

No tool for the Thompson, they loaded real nice. The factory mags are just GI pieces with the hole hogged it about 1/8" upward. I used a dremel tool and made a dozen GI mags work. They actually worked better than the factory units because they parkerize them and are kind of rough. GI mags are nicely blued. a steady hand gets you all the mags you can afford at a third of the factory's price.

Trooper B.A.R

Most of the problems with these semi's is the stiff springs, a lot stiffer then the originals. Leave the bolt open when storing, or fire 500 to 1000 rounds through them.(I've replaced springs in fully-auto, and till worn in, do also cause an occassional hicup in feeding.) This will help a lot of the stovepipe jammings. As to filling magazines by hand, never had problems with the GI issued.

As to my favorite magazines, I like the 20 round more then the 30 round magazines. Not as front heavy, and seems that as springs age, sometimes the last 2-3 rounds jam in the magazine, spring weakens.

Sorry to be the beare of bad news Robin, but unfortunately most of us are not independently wealthy. 8K to me might as well be 100K

thats 4 months wages,,,it sucks to be an average American. I'm glad that you can live in your ivory tower in sunny California.

I had one and the magazines are cut different than actual Thompson magazines, so the only way to make a actual Thompson mag work is to oval out the hole of the real ones, and if you get it wrong, it is ruined.

The factory mags are just GI pieces with the hole hogged it about 1/8" upward. I used a dremel tool and made a dozen GI mags work.

You guys do know that you could have just trimmed the top of the magazine catch and you could use regular GI mags without ruining them.

You guys do know that you could have just trimmed the top of the magazine catch and you could use regular GI mags without ruining them.

Oh THANKS! Where were you when I was ruining 15 odd magazines ;)

Garandomatic

To me it was a lot less of a big deal to alter the mags. Marked with a pencil, couple minutes of grinding, and they worked perfect. I don't have it anymore, but I think the possibility of screwing up that catch might be higher for me! The AO factory does the same thing, as common as they are (even still), I didn't feel too bad about gaining a dozen mags on the cheap.