Shoulder Board EGAs-recently acquired!

ChuckyD

To say that collecting has become ADDICTING is an understatement. Had no desire to collect anything while on active duty for 23+ year nor almost 10 years after my retirement. Just got bit by the buy this year!! Very happy to get this in my collection!!

post-110409-0-21859200-1371396048.jpg

Hello

Nice looking shoulder board.

I've never seen this live.

It can be seen at the bottom of the node, it is a pair.

The EGA's looks to be identical. That would mean that an eagle looking forward and the other backward if worn on uniform.

At this time I don't have a regulation at hand to check this.

HAVE A NICE DAY

Michael

Greetings, very nice clean boards! EGAs should have anchors facing inboard to be a left/right matching set but these display beautifully as is. Congrats!

Semper Fi

teufelhunde.ret

Greetings, very nice clean boards! EGAs should have anchors facing inboard to be a left/right matching set but these display beautifully as is. Congrats!

Semper Fi

Or as the reg's from the era said "facing front"

Darrell - Enlisted epaulets 0002.jpg

Or as the reg's from the era said "facing front" attachicon.gif

These shoulder boards are identical for one site but with the EGA's for the left and right side.

The shoulder boards from ChuckyD have on the bottom two loops, one from left over the other, the other shoulder board two loops from right over the other. This should be a real pair but with one wrong EGA.

Michael

teufelhunde.ret

These shoulder boards are identical for one site but with the EGA's for the left and right side.

The shoulder boards from ChuckyD have on the bottom two loops, one from left over the other, the other shoulder board two loops from right over the other. This should be a real pair but with one wrong EGA.

Michael

HUH? :huh:

HUH? :huh:

Let me preface by saying, I know nothing about these shoulder boards, but wanted to explain what Roadrunner is saying.

On the shoulder board to the left, there are two loops in the braid at the bottom, near the EGA. This one has the braid going left to right, over the other loop.

The opposite is occuring on the shoulder board on the right.

I think what he is trying to say is the shoulder boards themselves are a correct set, just the EGA's are not.

Again, not knowing anything about these shoulder boards, the only issue I see with this, is on the boards posted by teufelhunde, both braids go in the same direction, so I don't know how much of an indicator this really is in determining a correct set.

post-29885-0-68838200-1371573539.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

I think what he is trying to say is the shoulder boards themselves are a correct set, just the EGA's are not.

Now that makes sense...

@ MasonK

Thanks for the explanation. For me it was very difficult to describe it in english.

That's it, what I tried to say.

I tried to find a solution in a uniform regulation but can't find a picture.

Michael

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
usmcaviator

I am not sure if the 1892 regulations addresses this, but these epaulettes "should" have left and right facing EGA's, just like collar devices. However, I commonly see photos of Marines on ship and in the field wearing these epaulettes with the same facing EGA on each board (example photo below). So, having a pair with the same facing EGA, is not "wrong" by any stretch.

Also worth noting.....a lot of these epaulettes and EGAs hit the surplus market post 1904 (Bannermann's being the most prolific). I surmise that many epaulettes were probably pulled from a bin and slapped together without much thought. This also explains why the maker's marks differ quite often. These "surplus" epaulettes are generally distinguished by the EGA having two single prongs for the attachment method (leftmost in photo below). The ones with the two double prongs (rightmost in photo below), seem to be what I find in "original" lots, or that I would say was Marine issue and pre-Bannerman surplus. The ones with double prongs are outwardly identical to the surplus ones and are a little thicker and "whiter" gauge of metal as well (pictures below).

Mike

post-1315-0-26012600-1428684293.jpg

post-1315-0-88387700-1428684315.jpg

at Chuck

Do you have any references about the hallmark ?

The producer is Horstmann with "H" and the marking is "L". That was the reason I think it's for LEFT

at Mike

Thank you for the informations and the pictures.

Do you have the compleate picture ?

Thanks

Michael

For some reason, the left shoulder emblem is FAR more common that the right. Of the 8 or so emblems/boards I've owned with dual prongs, they've ALL been left. Still hunting a right

That image is fantastic, as it validates the fact that we often see pairs, often mismatched, with left emblems on both. And the guy has a pretty epic 'stache, so it's a win-win

Great image and sound remarks, Mike. Confirms that many opinions folks have are erroneous. S/F......Bob

usmcaviator

at Chuck

Do you have any references about the hallmark ?

The producer is Horstmann with "H" and the marking is "L". That was the reason I think it's for LEFT

at Mike

Thank you for the informations and the pictures.

Do you have the compleate picture ?

Thanks

Michael

Complete photo. One of the best shots of the era showing a great display of helmets and uniform, both officer, enlisted and even a drummer boy.

Mike

post-1315-0-09636100-1428766375.jpg

Any idea of the date?

Based on the sgt wearing a Sampson Medal but no West Indies Campaign Medal, probably between 1901 and 1908.