1892 Eagle Globe & Anchor!

ChuckyD

If anyone has the brother or sister of this emblem (Enlisted or Officer) laying around that they would like to dispose of, please NOTIFY said jarhead (me) immediately to discuss terms for it's repatriation!!

Leatherneck72

When you say "brother" or "sister" what are you referring to? Another of the same pattern emblem?

Leatherneck72

Nice emblem. The nice thing is that it is REAL! Most all of these offered on Ebay are fakes that are aged to look real. This beauty was meant for use on the P1892 enlisted dress helmet (the one with the Prussian style spike).

The "brother" or "sister" of the emblem. Either another enlisted EGA such as this or the officer's model that you have but won't give up :)

SF
Chuck

• 3 years later...

Looks like a good one. Is the wing tip gone? Sometimes these just get bent a little bit.

If you use "brother" or "sister" in terms of another enlisted version of this insignia, there was really only one. The gold version. These insignia pre-dated "service" insignia.

There is a known brown metal insignia that Fred Briuer covers in his book, however he attributes it to a possible use on the USMC saddlecloth. There is a rare officer version, cut from silver and gold plated. I also have an all silver version (have seen one or two others). The all silver ones could also have been used by the band, on officer saddlecloths or are simply unfinished or non-plated officer versions.

The only other "versions" of this insignia include the embossed leather left and right insignia prescribed for the general purpose USMC saddlecloth. There is one example (also in Dr Briuer's book) of a theater made 1892 officer helmet device, that was made in China.

Mike

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Mike,

Which book is that? Ran a quick google search and didn't get any hits.
(Also did you get my PM on ebay?)

Maddox

Maddox,

Dr Briuer's book has been discussed on multiple threads. It is hitting mailboxes as we speak. I provided a review here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/271188-new-ega-reference-review-united-states-marine-corps-emblems-1804-to-world-war-one-by-frederick-briuer-phd/

It is the only reference to date that analyzes emblems through long and thorough research and provides conclusions as to maker, construction and what time period a device was used.

Mike

post-1315-0-03647400-1472577693.jpg

post-1315-0-03975000-1472577709_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

If you have not yet grabbed a copy of this book and you like, collect, or sometimes come across EGAs and early Marine inisgnia, I highly recommend picking this book up. The fakes are getting worse and hard to stay on top of. The book is worth every penny to help you determine real from fake/fantasy.

Mike