OLD COLT .45 BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE

ChuckyD

I found this Colt back in November at the Nation's Gun Show near DC. An elderly couple had the pistol and they needed to sell it ASAP. They were walking around the gun show trying to get rid of it with no takers. With the front sight post missing and the gun rattling like a box of cracker jack, the reason no one would buy it came as no surprise to me.

As the four hundred dollar bills parted my hand to the couple, I wondered if the pistol would ever be brought back to life. As i held the pistol after the purchase, I fantasized about the low serial number on the gun and wondered what worldly conquest/war it had been involved in and it's previous owners (I didn't have an opportunity to discuss the pistol with the elderly couple-they just wanted to sell it and LEAVE). Or had it been a gift to someone on a special occassion. I have donated $100 to Colt and they are working on doing their research and providing me with the ownership and other archival information.

Well, I have to admit that when I acquired this pistol, I wondered if it could be salvaged/saved, restored to its original glory days. The picture speaks for itself. The armorers state that it shoots a 2 inch group at 25 yards. I have NOT had the opportunity to put some rounds downrange yet, but will do so ASAP!!

Highest Regards all-thanks for listening!!!

Semper Fidelis

Chuck

post-110409-0-59272600-1371379173.jpg

Is it a USGI frame and slide? Hard to tell from the picture.

Outstanding work on the pistol. That one will definetly be a fun shooter !!

Garandomatic

Pretty darned neat. I had those grips on my 1991A1, but replaced them with factory wood panels with the medallion in either walnut or rosewood.

Post your serial, or if you don't want to post it, pm me. I can tell you more from the serial number than what Colt can. If it is USGI. I have all the SRS data.

Semper Fi.

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I have waited my whole life to be able to get a "hand made" pistol! It's now my pride and joy out of over 25+ 1911's that I own (I own enough weapons & ammo) to take over small country :) *But, that's what happens after 23+ years of service)! SF

Don't know if it's USGI. I will post the serial number here ASAP. THANKS FOR THE HELP!

I just started to see those come down range when I got out, and I always wanted one. In fact I might even have a couple loose USGI frames laying around here. I can't remember.

Looking at your picture it does appear your serial number style is more likely a commercial colt, but if it is USGI, I can tell you anything you want to know on it.

Yeah I'm jealous. I would love to own one of those. And depending on how much they want to do a conversion. I might flip out the money. :)

I have about $1500 in the gun. It's a LONG story. :)

On the Remington 700, I will check on what the conversion costs would be (if you are serious).

If you do have some USGI frames, hook a brother up!! HA-honestly, let me know if you are interested in selling one or two or more!

Administration: PLEASE DELETE THIS POST AND THREADS-THANKS-SF CDS

ChuckyD & bk6 - I have deleted the 'controversial' parts of this thread. Beautiful weapon and restoration. Semper Fi......Bobgee

bigkahunasix

Bobgee- Thank you.

ChuckyD- Sorry if I came off harsh, my thoughts were of the men who could be impacted by the misreading/misinterpretation of your post by the wrong person. BTDT

Also, excellent workmanship on the 1911.

BK6