Victory Revolver, US Maritime Commission

digi-shots

I mentioned before that I like Victory models... here's one I've had for awhile. You don't see very many US Maritime Commission examples.

post-4361-0-12132400-1371340449.jpg

post-4361-0-85953500-1371340529.jpg

Another great looking Victory Linda !!!

You always seem to have an endless supply of nice Victory's.

Great photo !!

Chris

A very nice example of the USMC revolvers. These are often mistaken, or sold, for US Marine Corps revolvers.

Very nice. So maybe a dumb question, but how did you get that letter stating the origins of the pistol? Do you just write them and ask??

Very nice. So maybe a dumb question, but how did you get that letter stating the origins of the pistol? Do you just write them and ask??

You contact smith and Wesson and pay the fee and they will do it for you. Just like Colt.

I had one once that came back issued to Willies Overland Motor's Company in Toledo Ohio. It was a plant gun.

Also under serial number 100,000 I believe, they never marked them United States Property. Almost all the early ones went to areas other than military that was vital to the war effort. As was in the case of min that was a security guard gun at the Jeep plant.

Charlie Flick

Also under serial number 100,000 I believe, they never marked them United States Property. Almost all the early ones went to areas other than military that was vital to the war effort.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Well, that's not really the case. Many, many thousands of the pre-Victory guns below serial V1 and the Victory guns from there on up to V100000 were marked on the left top strap "UNITED STATES PROPERTY". These were principally the .38 S&W (.38-200) caliber guns destined for the British and Commonwealth countries.

As for the first 100,000 guns after serial V1 the majority of them went to the US Navy and for the Lend Lease program. Some others did get shipped to authorized civilian users under the auspices of the Defense Supplies Corporation and those guns are often referred to as "guard guns" or "defense plant guns", but it is not correct that almost all went to users other than the military.

Regards,

Charlie

You contact smith and Wesson and pay the fee and they will do it for you. Just like Colt.

Here are links to the order forms:

Colt

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Portals/0/misc/Archive%20Properties%202011%20Price%20List.pdf

S&W

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757825_-1_757814_757812_image

• 7 months later...

post-151641-0-24618000-1392671543.jpgpost-151641-0-95648000-1392671608.jpgHello! I saw your post on the Victory Revolver, US Maritime Commission. I also have a Maritime Commission S&W .38 victory pistol, with the S&W Letter. Since you have one already, do you know the rarity of these compared to other Victory's and its relative monetary value? I understand it is dependent upon condition etc. Mine is in excellent condition, with all the numbers matching. Mine was shipping from S&W the same day yours was, but mine was shipped to the U.S, Maritime Commission, Reading, PA. Thanks for any information! Allen

• 1 month later...

Allen, sorry its taken me so long to get back to your posting!

I really don't have a feel for the price range... you're right, condition means a lot. You might check some of the closed auction prices (gunbroker, etc.) to see what the going price is. They're certainly not as easy to find as some of the others. Getting them lettered is the absolute way to determine where they were shipped.

Hope this helps!

Linda

Linda

very nice victory revolver. I recently purchased a victory that was one of the revolvers that appears to have been a defense pistol. Will try to post it in a new topic.

Linda

very nice victory revolver. I recently purchased a victory that was one of the revolvers that appears to have been a defense pistol. Will try to post it in a new topic.

Yes, please do! Some of the unmarked "defense" revolvers can be very interesting!

Thanks for sharing. I don't have any revolvers, but I have a pile of Chelsea clocks with US Maritime Commission dials. Great to see some other Maritime commission items.

attachicon.gifS&W sized.jpgattachicon.gifSW Letter1.jpgattachicon.gifS&W sized.jpgHello! I saw your post on the Victory Revolver, US Maritime Commission. I also have a Maritime Commission S&W .38 victory pistol, with the S&W Letter. Since you have one already, do you know the rarity of these compared to other Victory's and its relative monetary value? I understand it is dependent upon condition etc. Mine is in excellent condition, with all the numbers matching. Mine was shipping from S&W the same day yours was, but mine was shipped to the U.S, Maritime Commission, Reading, PA. Thanks for any information! Allen

I would estimate around the $600 range in Pennsylvania. The factory letter will add a few dollars to the value. S&W made quite a few of these revolvers and they have not caught fire with collectors yet (like the 1911A1), but that is slowly changing!

"U.S. Navy" marked Victorys will typically bring a $100-$200 premium.

Very nice pistol by the way. Hold onto it!

My Victory Model is in the 45,000 range with no US Property stamp. .38 special, 4" barrel, smooth walnut grips. Numbers match, even the grips.

My first handgun, she'll stay with me til the end.

• 5 weeks later...

Josh - are your clocks posted somewhere? I'd love to see them.

Thanks,

Kevin Williams

Hi Kevin,

Sorry- Just saw your post. There are a couple kicking around here, and more tucked away in storage. I'll try to post under a different thread when I find the right box.

Josh