Repro Naval Officer's blue Mills web belt

CAPTMac

I work with the living history group on the OLYMPIA in Philadelphia. Because there are so few original blue navy Mills belts, I decided to create my own for use with the early woven .38 holster. I found a supplier of 3 inch wide webbing that would sell me short lengths. I made my own brass belt keepers and belt buckle/catch. I am now working on making the four pocket ammo pouches.

post-121778-0-92682300-1371335331.jpg

Because the original Mills weaving machinery is no longer in use, I had to make the pockets for my pistol belt individually. I made copies of the small navy buttons and will bond them to snaps which will be placed on each pocket flap. Everything is made from heavy canvas which I sew and then dye.

post-121778-0-07925600-1371335405.jpg

Now that's real unique! It's nice to see something other than the usual airborne and Rangers. Can you show us some pictures of your group? The Olympia is a beautiful ship and I have fond memories of visiting her many years ago. I with I could have seen your group in action, but pictures will have to do!

You and everyone are welcome to stop by or join our Facebook page. We have plenty of photos in our albums. Search for us as "Cruiser Olympia living history crew" and if you want more detailed information you can find us at Wordpress.com as "Flagship Olympia". I will provide links when I log on with my my computer.

I am a career naval officer, so service white uniform coat, trouser, shoulder boards, shoes are the same since 1903. My caps are modigied bell crown bought from a fire department uniform shop. Cap device and buttons are originals from ebay.

Service blue coat was tailor made by an historic tailor for me. Embroidered collar insignia were made to order in London, gold stripes by my uniform shop in Annapolis. Shoes are new leather high top cap toes.

My eyeglasses are period gold American Optical from ebay. I wear my current navy trousers with new braces. Shirts are either original or new with detachable standing collars and studs.

Enlisted crew often buy new repros, or modify WW II blues and whites to suit. Mills belts and web gear are repro bought or made by ourselves. Leggings, holsters, peacoats, shoes are accurate repros. If you want specifics for items, just ask. We are happy to share our sources.

• 1 year later...
NorwichCadet

CAPTMac, here's my original rig with the belt you are making a version of. Post picture of how it comes out.

post-5639-0-15921100-1430235788.jpg

post-5639-0-74846100-1430235838.jpg