Ghillie suit

fallout

I was wondering what year did the us military start using the ghillie suit. Thanks, and also sorry for all of the questions.

Snipers make their own suits and they have been used for some time in various ways. You need to be a little more specific in your question as to what type of ghillie suit you are referencing.

firefighter

I remember watching a show on snipers on the military channel.I think they started using the ghillie suit durn WW1.

No, they are not issued. Snipers build their own, they learn the craft in sniper school and they build them based on the terrain and environment that they are operating in. Ghillie suits are not issued.

I guess my first post will be here. I know a special guy who made his own gillie for when he was doing his thing. He taught me how to make one, and I made my own for my collection. He helped me out, and it is very much like his was. He instructed me to use woodland BDUs, netting and jute fiber cord. So what Hawkdriver says is completely true: each man makes his own his own way. %30 of your camo in the field is your gillie. the rest is local camo threaded in and added. So the common thought process among airsofters of: gillie=instant invisibility is false. you add as much natural local camo as possible. Hope this helps...

• 3 weeks later...
foxcompany1944

What I am saying is regularly snipers weren't issued them and made them according to the camouflage of their surroundings but I have seen modern day issued ones.

Daniel

We made our own in the 1980's. Old uniforms, "Shoe Goo", old salvaged netting, and burlap. SKIP

hawkdriver

What I am saying is regularly snipers weren't issued them and made them according to the camouflage of their surroundings but I have seen modern day issued ones.

Daniel

Got any documentation to show that? A NSN or picture of a issued suit? Which service issues them?

firefighter

Safety considerations[edit]

Although highly effective, ghillie suits are impractical for many situations where camouflage is useful. They tend to be very heavy and hot. Even in moderate climates, the temperature inside of the ghillie suit can reach over 50 °C (120 °F). The burlap is also flammable, unless treated with fire retardant, so the wearer may be at increased risk from ignition sources such assmoke grenades or white phosphorus.

To enhance safety, the US Army Soldier Systems Center has developed an inherently fire resistant ghillie suit fabric to replace the jute or burlap. This new material does not need to be treated with any additional flame retardant, as the fire resistance is inherent in the product and the fabric will self extinguish. This material was field tested in late 2007 at the Sniper School at Fort Benning and has been standard issue since June 2008.

hawkdriver
To enhance safety, the US Army Soldier Systems Center has developed an inherently fire resistant ghillie suit fabric to replace the jute or burlap. This new material does not need to be treated with any additional flame retardant, as the fire resistance is inherent in the product and the fabric will self extinguish. This material was field tested in late 2007 at the Sniper School at Fort Benning and has been standard issue since June 2008.

Good info, but now the question lies with whether the camoflage material that is tied on is issued or if the entire suit is issued. I still don't believe that the entire suit is issued. I don't doubt that some units buy commercial suits for their unit marksmen; however, true snipers are taught field craft, suits are tailor made to fit the individual and their needs, no one type is going to make it for everyone.

• 5 weeks later...

I think the "issued" suit that was mention is NSN 8415-01-518-8221 "D-2 Tracker Concealment System" Not a true ghillie suit, but a pre-made coverall with 3D camouflage that's seen some use overseas recently. I think another thread here had photos a while back. I believe it is pictured here:

23409_620257054657901_852578861_n.jpg

I made mine while I was in. I remember taking about 50 hours just stranding burlap to fibers to tie it to the netting. I had probably a 100 hours just in the initial making of it and it changed every week. You were always changing it. We used a digital style desert parkas in the 90's and then sewed netting to the back, arms, and hood.

The sad thing is when I got out, I left it at my mom's house when I moved to another town. My brother burned it because he thought it was trash. :(