Seal 2 Jacket

MACSSOG

Not my area of expertise, but this looks plausible. The fading of the uniform and the name/ team tapes looks consistent.

I agree with Gil

The tapes look like the typical woven cotton ones of the period.What does the back side of the jacket look like where the tapes are sewn??

Hi, i am new here, but may I share my 2 cents?

Well, My experience with the Vietnam seal teams is this: Seals had very specific modified gear. We all know the scarce flotation vests made out of ERDLs. I personally do not like this coat because it seems too much like a fake fantasy piece. Why SEAL 2? why not team 2? more often than not there were no name tapes. This just smells bad to me. Is there picture of historical evidence of seals wearing this kind of insignia? I am surprised there are no other patches. Why have this coat in the first place? They would not have worn it in the field. They had float coats, or clandestine coats. Sorry gents, i dont like it... But thats what I think. The aging does look good however. A picture or story confirming its originality would sway me here...

What I mean by my first sentence, is why have a standard coat like this if you have your combat kit of special seal gear, and you dont wear fatigues when you are not in combat?

I have seen jackets very similar to this, nothing flashy about them. The "SEAL 2" tape can be seen in period photographs and in collections today. Doesn't make this one real or fake, just that the tapes are plausible. My biggest question is why no wings, and if the name Wilson will show up in the roster from this time frame.

kriegsmodell

There is nothing wrong with the Team 2 tape. As Tanner stated that style of tape is well documented as period and original. Both embroidered and printed examples exist.