1980s gear questions

knd643

Rakkasan187

This is a photo of me carrying the 60 taken at Benning in 1986. We are wearing MILES, so it was during a tactical exercise, but I don't appear to be carrying much ammo. I assume my A-gunner was carrying the remainder.

attachicon.gifME & THE PIG web.JPG

Great shot. The MILES gear was such a pain. Especially the Harness with the strap across the center of your chest. I never attached the MILES to my web gear, but rather just draped it over and wore it that way. The Halo harness was also a pain, we had to make sure it was tied to our helmets so we wouldn't lose it. I think that piece of MILES was on that fell off most often.

Leigh

Scott, Was each Infantryman issued one of these?

I know that in my unit each soldier had one, we also had a snake bite kit which I also have around here somewhere... Scott.

Rakkasan187

I wonder if the issuing of those individual first aid kits was based on an installation command decision. In my 22 years time, I never saw those first aid kits. It may have been the units I was assigned to, or maybe it was not available at the installation Central Issue Facility, or maybe it was a special issue type of situation.

It is rather interesting to see other individual's equipment and hear there stories. As Beast has mentioned about Scott G's First Aid kit. Funny how some of us served at the same time period in the same job (such and Infantry) and at different installations both in Conus and Oconus, but we had different equipment. I guess this throws the uniformity issue amongst all Army units out the window...

I wonder how some units received these items and others did not?? Was it an issue of supply and demand, or perhaps a request from a Commander or what??

Leigh

Not to say that this is certain, but perhaps because of the nature of training at Ft. Polk? You have varied terrain which can quickly change from pine forest to near jungle, and then there are swamps, lakes and rivers as well as regular grassland. Certainly a haven for all types of wildlife as well as snakes and other nasty's. Not to say that the training is harder but there is certainly a valid reason why the Army chose Ft. Polk for Tigerland and later JRTC. Oh yeah, I forgot about the lovely rains and humidity... Scott

Rakkasan187

Scott,

You bring up a very valid point about the environment there at Ft Polk. Swamps, Forests, Hills, Valleys, ect. Although, I have limited experience with Ft Polk, almost my entire time spent at Ft Polk was in the "box", AND while I was in the box, I was a Prisoner of War. It was decided that the senior leadership of my unit was going to sit this one out and observe the actions of the Junior NCOs and new platoon leaders. They didn't do that bad.

Leigh

Scott,when were you at Polk. I was in 3/10 inf 81-83 and never saw a first aid kit like that. We had the first aid pouch with 1 bandage if you were lucky. But I do remember Horse Head ,Peason Ridge and North/South Fort. It rained all the time and the winter months were the worst.

If you have the -10 (dash 10) operators manual for the mask, that also goes in the pouch on the inside.

If you go back to post #79 you will see the contents of the mask carrier to include the operators manual.

Leigh

Fender Rhodes

Caveat - Marine imput: I don't ever remember being issued a buttpack. I had three and all were private purchase. M1956, OD nylon version of the M1956 and lastly, the woodland buttpack that went with the 2nd GEN LBV (not MOLLE).

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

This is an overall picture of all the gear carried within the rucksack. The weight of the ruck to include contents was approximately 79 pounds. It didn't seem that heavy 20 years ago....

attachicon.gifSA401503.JPG

Wow!

I forgot how heavy that stuff was too!

I'm sure you remember the 50K Raid we did annually? When I first got to Berlin our Scout Section were typically the aggressors, riding around in jeeps while the Grunts walked the 50k's doing their missions. They used to call us Cowboys and softies. We actually did the 50k raid when I got there and our S-Section, a Ranger Qual'd Captain who had be B. Co. 5/502nd's CO and was now at Battalion decided he would be our evaluator because he had been there in previous years when the Scouts were aggressors. His preemptive opinions was that we weren't going to do so well.

That year the 50k raid was held inside of Berlin whereas in years past it was in West Germany. What he hadn't anticipated was that our Platoon Leader (Michael Steele of Blackhawk Down Fame) was pretty hard charging most of our NCO's had been in Airborne Divisions. Not only did we do the raid but we accomplished every single mission put forth to us with flying colors. At the Raid Debriefing he apologized for his having the hidden opinion that we weren't good in the field. He even stated that our little Platoon had outshined all the other units in the Battalion. We had no idea that he held us in low regard but that didn't last.

We had some very good NCO's and Steele was a good and qualified leader. We all knew the Ranger Handbook inside and out and knew how to apply it practically. In short, the 50k Raid was a series of continuous smaller unit missions with little sleep and lots of tactical movement. It was a great exercise and very varied, with some surprises. I'm sure Rakkassan can tell you guys about it.

Why I bring up this old memory is because there were multiple inspections to MAKE SURE that we all carried the required gear down to the right amount of socks, weapons, ammo, NBC Gear and extra uniforms. If you were missing an item then your unit was docked for it. So some Forum Members look at all that gear and are surprised that it's all carried in the field. I served in a few units while in the Army and our Scout Section in Berlin was as good as any conventional unit and some Ranger Regiment guys stated that our PT, Technical and Tactical ability rivaled their old Ranger Batt's.

I credit Mike Steele for giving us the lattitude to train our guys, and for his hard, hard, hard, charging and old school development of our Platoon. He was hard headed but many good leaders are. I'm sure many of you know the story of Blackhawk Down as he was the Ranger Company Commander in that action in Somalia. He was a unique guy but did think outside the box.

Rock

Rock,

Good to hear from you Brother and your contribution to the forum and this topic is greatly appreciated. I remember Lt Steele, saw him a few times, even though I was in 6th Batt.

Folks, Rock is right about the 50K raid. An extreme test of endurance and stamina. The Scouts in each Battalion were tasked with trying to locate your squad during the movement. there were very few squads who completed the raid without being seen. My squad was about 2 kilometers from our PZ (Pick up zone) and we were waiting for the chinook to pick us up. We were waiting in the woodline for the chopper and from the far side of the woods the scouts appeared. We were "caught" at the 48 kilometer mark and just missed a successful raid by 2 klicks. We were the only squad to get that close to the end without being seen. The Bn Cdr awarded my squad Berlin Brigade Coins.

The whole story will be included in the book I am currently writing about my 20 + year Army career.

Rock, Thanks again for your input..

Leigh

4/6 was second brigade, 4th MSB which became 705th Main was DISCOM. Scott.

So you were either in the old 3/10 or 3/11 inf.

Hello, I was on a British military forum and someone said they traded rations with us troops and some even traded there gear(not like uniforms or full web sets but pieces of web gear and rain gear) was this common? Did we trade stuff with West German troops, I think there was something about it in this thread I will have to look.

Fender Rhodes

Yes. In Norway back in 1999, I traded MREs for Brit Cold Weather 24hr rations. Didn't trade any gear with the Brits but did so with the (West) German FJs. Got a gravity knife for a woodland boonie hat and Leatherman. Traded a lot with the Spaniards in 2002 during Dynamic Mix as well...

My first trade with NATO troops was in Italy. I traded my field jacket for a complete Italian Alpine Infantry uniform when we did cold weather training with them.

I also traded with a British SAS trooper his map case (see post # 184, bottom center.) for a BDU top. I used the map case for the rest of my military career.

When we trained with the British and French troops in Berlin on joint combat operations we frequently traded our MRE's for French and British Rations. Our Command had to put a stop to it though, because both the British and French rations had alcohol, which for their armed forces was permitted to consume during their meals in the field. For the US Soldiers it was not allowed.

Leigh

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

The West German Army loved our MRE's for some reason. We were at an MG Range shooting our M60's and the Germans their MG's (awesome sound). We all ate lunch together and I got Schnitzel with bread, jam and butter while they ate our MRE's. We traded the Grenadians C Rations for fruit but we got sick of fruit and they got mad at us when we wouldn't give up our C Rats to them. They started throwing the fruit at us.

Hanging out with the Brit Para's and West German British Garrison, their web gear kit was sooooo much more comfortable than ours. While at Fort Bragg we used to leave our web belt unbuckled because the ammo pouches didn't give much when you landed on them during fire/maneuver. The Brits carried all their stuff on the side and back so that their bellies were fairly clear, for that reason. For some reason their straps and harnesses were much more comfortable than ours. Not much trading, just Jump Wings.

Rock

The only foreign ration that I ate was during my time in Germany. 1/48 inf 3rd AD did a reforger exercise with the Belgian army (Roaring lion 1984 ?) in the North Central part of the country. We were fed for the most part by the Belgians and while the meal was edible it left a lot to be desired,this was my 1 and only time eating canned cow tongue.The daily meal came in 1 box and it was loaded with crackers,condenced milk and 2 cans of food,the best part was the fresh bread and butter they gave us. Any former members of the Belgian Army remember this exercise?

In Berlin we had the chance to eat both the British and French rations. The British rations had canned spam like meats and crackers and instant tea and bisquits. They also had chocolate and bread pudding. There was also a small bottle of rum, which had to be trurned in since the US Soldiers could not drink the alcohol in the field. The rations I remember were alright, certainly not used to eating the canned meats that they had.

The French rations were also very interesting. They included goose liver patte and other exotic meats as well as crackers, and a vegetable type hash. They had a grape flavored wine which again had to be turned in and coffee, chocolates and other sundries to include fresh bread that was brought out to the field by their mess unit.

Leigh

Had some French rations in Desert Storm and of course everyone loved the wine! The rations weren't bad either and sure beat the same old mre's... I had one around here at one time but not sure whatever happened to it. I still have an AWOL box of my Desert Storm gear which may hold the ration as well. Scott

I have a question for those that served stateside and overseas. Did you ever wear your field jacket in the field. The only place I ever did was Germany. Ft Polk and Ft Richardson were a no go,it was parkas only. I remember that they took away our field pants,wool shirts and overwhites while in Germany.