1980s gear questions

knd643

Cavalry_Scout

I stumbled across this group searching for something else, LOL. This thread really jumped out at me and brought back a lot of memories. I was a Navy Hospital Corpsman from 1979-84 and served with G 2/9 and H&S 2/5. I reenlisted in the Army in 1985 served in E 2/11 ACR, Scout Platoon, 4/37 AR, USAREC and C 2/162 INF until I retired in 2001. So I spent pretty much all of the 80s wearing deuce gear and TA-50.

@Rakkasan187, that dog tag cover was for guys who wore glasses. I had one, but I never used it. You were supposed to write your prescription on the cover with a skillcraft. I never actually saw anybody wearing one of these on there dog tags and I went through countless personal inspections. The black stretchy silencers were sold in clothing sales and I definitely remember wearing them in the army.

A few general observations/memories:

In the Corps, (and I don't mean to imply that I was a Marine, but that's who I served with/in) our 782 gear was just the basic stuff, nothing fancy. In the early 80s, we were still wearing steel pots and the old hard plate flak jackets. Most guys wore their cartridge belts low on the hips to clear the bottom of the flak jacket. Flak jackets and wet weather gear were kept in battalion supply and drawn out as needed to specific missions. In garrison, we did a battalion hike every Friday and part of the routine was lining up to get your flak jacket.

We had ponchos with liners and that's how we slept in the field during the summer. You froze your rump off at night. It seems like in September we drew sleeping bags and had them in the winter, but turned them in every spring for cleaning. We were still using the old chicken feather mummy bags then and rubber bitches. We didn't have actual wet weather gear. Your poncho was it, although once in awhile, we drew these old wet weather jackets from supply when the weather was miserable. I remember when the woolly pully first came out, everybody ran right to the PX and bought one. Partly, it was because of the 'cool" factor, but mostly because it finally meant we had something warm to sleep in under a poncho liner.

Everybody's gear was exactly the same, at least in the two units I was in with the First and Third Marine Divisions. We did a MCCRESS test every year, which was a big deal back then. One part of it was a complete deuce gear layout of one of the rifle companies. Everything in our alice packs was stowed exactly the same for the inspection, and for the 25 mile hump.

We got issued c-rations when we went to the field. Guys that were brown baggers had to buy their meals, which caused endless bitching. We never carried c-rat cans in socks. Everybody would break them down and stow what they wanted, and either trade or throw away the rest. My favorite was the canned peaches. I would always jam a can way down in my pack so it stayed cool. Then when it really got hot in the afternoon, I'd pull it out and sip the juice, which tasted great.

In the army, we got a lot more stuff. I was in a heavy armored cavalry regiment in Germany from 85-89. We got two sets of summer coveralls and two sets of winter coveralls and they all had nametapes and unit patches sewn on. We also had the old pickle suits rain gear. The cool thing back then was to get a Graf jacket made at the tailor shop. You bought a WW jacket and a poncho liner at clothing sales and took them to the tailor shop. About a week later, you'd pick up your Graf jacket. They were awesome! I wish I still had mine.

The banana suits absolutely sucked. You washed the jacket and pants one time and they shrank like crazy. Plus the zippers were horrible and the ones on the ankles always broke. But the t-shirts were the worst. They were double thickness, black on one side and yellow on the other.

I think it was in late 87 that we started getting nomex CVC gear. You got two sets of coveralls, a jacket, a balaclava, and a body armor vest that went under the coveralls. Plus there were gloves, but I never got any because they didn't have my size ever.

@Fallout, that avatar on your profile of US soldiers with the Bavarian Border Police - that was my unit's main mission in Germany. We had Mercedes Benz G-wagons for the border mission that were painted gloss OD and had big while stars on the hood. They were very cool but they got replaced by turtle top HMMWVs in 88. On the border, you got issued a magazine of either .45 cal or 5.56mm ammo, depending on which weapon you were assigned. We carried heavy fuze boxes in the G-wagons on patrol, and also in the OPs. They had linked ammo for the M60, star clusters and hand grenades, plus more 5.56 and .45 ammo. They were sealed with a railroad seal and the patrol leader signed for the contents and then sealed it with the armorer before leaving the border camp. You carried you ammo magazine in the pouch on patrol, and were only allowed to put in in your weapon in accordance with rules for the use of deadly force.

Mark

I stumbled across this group searching for something else, LOL. This thread really jumped out at me and brought back a lot of memories. I was a Navy Hospital Corpsman from 1979-84 and served with G 2/9 and H&S 2/5. I reenlisted in the Army in 1985 served in E 2/11 ACR, Scout Platoon, 4/37 AR, USAREC and C 2/162 INF until I retired in 2001. So I spent pretty much all of the 80s wearing deuce gear and TA-50.

@Rakkasan187, that dog tag cover was for guys who wore glasses. I had one, but I never used it. You were supposed to write your prescription on the cover with a skillcraft. I never actually saw anybody wearing one of these on there dog tags and I went through countless personal inspections. The black stretchy silencers were sold in clothing sales and I definitely remember wearing them in the army.

In the Corps, (and I don't mean to imply that I was a Marine, but that's who I served with/in) our 782 gear was just the basic stuff, nothing fancy. In the early 80s, we were still wearing steel pots and the old hard plate flak jackets. Most guys wore their cartridge belts low on the hips to clear the bottom of the flak jacket. Flak jackets and wet weather gear were kept in battalion supply and drawn out as needed to specific missions. In garrison, we did a battalion hike every Friday and part of the routine was lining up to get your flak jacket.

We had ponchos with liners and that's how we slept in the field during the summer. You froze your rump off at night. It seems like in September we drew sleeping bags and had them in the winter, but turned them in every spring for cleaning. We were still using the old chicken feather mummy bags then and rubber bitches. We didn't have actual wet weather gear. Your poncho was it, although once in awhile, we drew these old wet weather jackets from supply when the weather was miserable. I remember when the woolly pully first came out, everybody ran right to the PX and bought one. Partly, it was because of the 'cool" factor, but mostly because it finally meant we had something warm to sleep in under a poncho liner.

Everybody's gear was exactly the same, at least in the two units I was in with the First and Third Marine Divisions. We did a MCCRESS test every year, which was a big deal back then. One part of it was a complete deuce gear layout of one of the rifle companies. Everything in our alice packs was stowed exactly the same for the inspection, and for the 25 mile hump.

We got issued c-rations when we went to the field. Guys that were brown baggers had to buy their meals, which caused endless bitching. We never carried c-rat cans in socks. Everybody would break them down and stow what they wanted, and either trade or throw away the rest. My favorite was the canned peaches. I would always jam a can way down in my pack so it stayed cool. Then when it really got hot in the afternoon, I'd pull it out and sip the juice, which tasted great.

In the army, we got a lot more stuff. I was in a heavy armored cavalry regiment in Germany from 85-89. We got two sets of summer coveralls and two sets of winter coveralls and they all had nametapes and unit patches sewn on. We also had the old pickle suits rain gear. The cool thing back then was to get a Graf jacket made at the tailor shop. You bought a WW jacket and a poncho liner at clothing sales and took them to the tailor shop. About a week later, you'd pick up your Graf jacket. They were awesome! I wish I still had mine.

The banana suits absolutely sucked. You washed the jacket and pants one time and they shrank like crazy. Plus the zippers were horrible and the ones on the ankles always broke. But the t-shirts were the worst. They were double thickness, black on one side and yellow on the other.

I think it was in late 87 that we started getting nomex CVC gear. You got two sets of coveralls, a jacket, a balaclava, and a body armor vest that went under the coveralls. Plus there were gloves, but I never got any because they didn't have my size ever.

@Fallout, that avatar on your profile of US soldiers with the Bavarian Border Police - that was my unit's main mission in Germany. We had Mercedes Benz G-wagons for the border mission that were painted gloss OD and had big while stars on the hood. They were very cool but they got replaced by turtle top HMMWVs in 88. On the border, you got issued a magazine of either .45 cal or 5.56mm ammo, depending on which weapon you were assigned. We carried heavy fuze boxes in the G-wagons on patrol, and also in the OPs. They had linked ammo for the M60, star clusters and hand grenades, plus more 5.56 and .45 ammo. They were sealed with a railroad seal and the patrol leader signed for the contents and then sealed it with the armorer before leaving the border camp. You carried you ammo magazine in the pouch on patrol, and were only allowed to put in in your weapon in accordance with rules for the use of deadly force.

Mark

Hey mark,

Welcome to the forum, Thanks for the Dog Tag cover clarification. I wore a similar one, but it was not for guys who wore glasses. I should have looked more closely at the picture of the one shown.

Thanks for your Service and for your input and your trip down memory lane..

Leigh

Mark

Hi Mark,

Which kasserne were you in during your border tour? We used to replace the Cav units during Christmas at Camp Lee and Camp Hoff.

Did your parka look something like this? I still have mine but it has seen better days.

post-203-0-56346100-1378424885.jpg

Hey Beast ... that's it! One of the best pieces of kit Joe ever invented - the Graf parka. That and a wool sweater could keep you warm thru everything but the worst of winter weather. The nice thing about the wet weather parka was that it wasn't breathable so the heat from your body stayed inside the parka - unlike goretex. So by adding the smoking jacket (field jacket liner), your body heat was trapped inside the jacket and you wouldn't get that clammy feeling. And it was wind proof as well unlike the field jacket. Of course when it got warm outside, you would get just as wet inside the parka as outside. I can remember sitting on the wash rack wearing my rain parka and realizing I would be more comfortable with the thing off as I would have to change my uniform anyways. BTW ... sometimes the WW Parka would start smelling like doggie doo as it started to decompose :)

Hey Beast ... that's it! One of the best pieces of kit Joe ever invented - the Graf parka. That and a wool sweater could keep you warm thru everything but the worst of winter weather. The nice thing about the wet weather parka was that it wasn't breathable so the heat from your body stayed inside the parka - unlike goretex. So by adding the smoking jacket (field jacket liner), your body heat was trapped inside the jacket and you wouldn't get that clammy feeling. And it was wind proof as well unlike the field jacket. Of course when it got warm outside, you would get just as wet inside the parka as outside. I can remember sitting on the wash rack wearing my rain parka and realizing I would be more comfortable with the thing off as I would have to change my uniform anyways. BTW ... sometimes the WW Parka would start smelling like doggie doo as it started to decompose :)

I noticed that awful smell with mine and until recently left it out in the garage. However, it seems that after several years, the smell goes away and I finally brought it back in the house.

I had the same thing happen with my jacket. Terrible smell of decomposing rubber. I aired it out and now I keep it as an emergency jacket under the back seat in my truck.. No more smell to it, and it is available for the blizzards of snow that we get in El Paso, Texas (hey I can dream right...)

Leigh

Cavalry_Scout

Hey Beast, I was in 2/11 ACR and our border camp was between Wollbach and Heustreu. It was named Camp Lee. Our home kaserne was Daley Barracks in Bad Kissingen. To our north was 1/11 ACR out of Fulda and they border camp was at OP Alpha, which was right on the trace. I've been back twice in the past several years and it's amazing how much has changed since the Cold War ended.

Yeah, that's a Graf jacket for sure. Seeing that brings to mind how the old pickle suits would get cracked and flaking on the plastic stuff so the nylon showed through. Plus, they didn't breath so you got wet in the summer whether you had a jacket on or not. I had a duffle bag go missing on a PCS move with a lot of my gear in it. Most of it I could never replace.

We went to Todendorf once for some gunnery testing. It was a British base up on the Baltic coast and the only place in Europe where you could shoot service sabot. I traded a British soldier a field jacket liner for one of their Norwegian shirts and I wore that thing for years until it finally plain wore out. It was the absolute best for winter, especially in comparison to the polypro we got in the 90s. Todendorf was also where I ate curry for the first time.

We had M1s and Bradleys in the cav and there was always an M1 running on the wash rack in the winter. We'd unzip our WW jackets and stand facing the exhaust louvers to dry the inside out. Maybe that's why they fell apart so fast?

Mark

Hey Beast, I was in 2/11 ACR and our border camp was between Wollbach and Heustreu. It was named Camp Lee. Our home kaserne was Daley Barracks in Bad Kissingen. To our north was 1/11 ACR out of Fulda and they border camp was at OP Alpha, which was right on the trace. I've been back twice in the past several years and it's amazing how much has changed since the Cold War ended.

Yeah, that's a Graf jacket for sure. Seeing that brings to mind how the old pickle suits would get cracked and flaking on the plastic stuff so the nylon showed through. Plus, they didn't breath so you got wet in the summer whether you had a jacket on or not. I had a duffle bag go missing on a PCS move with a lot of my gear in it. Most of it I could never replace.

We went to Todendorf once for some gunnery testing. It was a British base up on the Baltic coast and the only place in Europe where you could shoot service sabot. I traded a British soldier a field jacket liner for one of their Norwegian shirts and I wore that thing for years until it finally plain wore out. It was the absolute best for winter, especially in comparison to the polypro we got in the 90s. Todendorf was also where I ate curry for the first time.

We had M1s and Bradleys in the cav and there was always an M1 running on the wash rack in the winter. We'd unzip our WW jackets and stand facing the exhaust louvers to dry the inside out. Maybe that's why they fell apart so fast?

Mark

Mark,

BK? No kidding?! I took my European out and lived in BK for a few months in 1989. Remember the schwimmbad? I was at Ledward and Conn Barracks in Schweinfurt. My Company pulled a tour at Lee in December 1988 Would love to have been there when the wall came down!

attachicon.gifSA401541.JPG

attachicon.gifSA401542.JPG

Extreme cold weather boots (Mickey Mouse Boots) on the left and my Matterhorn's with Gortex lining. Depending on the season, I would either wear my Matterhorn's or my Green jungle boots. OD Green field pants worn over BDU's in cold weather, suspenders, and to the left, white cotton long underwear. This was way before the polypro long underwear that is issued today.

Leigh,

Do you remember the date when the green jungle boot was no longer authorized in FRG? I was thinking that by the late 1980s we couldn't wear them anymore. If Fallout does an early 80's impression he should be good-to-go with these however.

Leigh,

Do you remember the date when the green jungle boot was no longer authorized in FRG? I was thinking that by the late 1980s we couldn't wear them anymore. If Fallout does an early 80's impression he should be good-to-go with these however.

Beast,

I don't recall when they were no longer authorized in Germany, but I did wear them during a deployment to Wildflicken in the summer of 1988. I also recall wearing them in the summer of 1987, as part of the cadre for the Expert Infantry Badge testing. The US Army Europe Command Sergeant Major, CSM Horvath came to visit us. This was back when he wanted all NCOs to memorize the NCO creed.

If I also recall, units that deployed from Germany for Desert Shield and Storm were wearing the green jungle boots. I want to say it was in early 2000 when they had their wear out date...

I think it took a while for the order to finally trickle down through the units, and if I remember correctly, we could still wear them in the field, but for any formations in garrison, we could not wear them, they had to be the black leather combat boots or Corcoran jump boots or other black boots such as the Matterhorn's and German boots.

When I came back to the states, I was wearing the green jungle boots up until the late 90's. I was in a Joint Command unit, my boss was a Marine Gunnery Sergeant and my rater was a Marine Colonel. We had all types of mixed uniforms and boots, and our Commander, an Army 1 Star General and an Army Command Sergeant Major was relaxed on dress policy..

Fallout will be fine with the green jungle boots for his impression.

Leigh

Thanks Leigh! I had a pair that I wore at Benning, but I don't remember wearing them in Germany. Maybe it was a unit policy. Even in the field, we were pretty strict on uniforms.

Ok so about injectors, I know real ones are dangerous and I will not be getting these, I will try and get some training ones as those are safe I think. I was wondering how many injectors were given and where they were kept?

We were issued a set of 3 injectors in the 80's.

The picture in the link on the lower left is what we used to carry. Normally we carried these in the inner pouch of the pro mask carrier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoinjector

When units were deploying to Iraq, they were also issued a set of three of these and a bottle of pills called doxycycline.

The Atropine injectors were also carried in the Combat Lifesaver Bags.

The HAZMAT team and all Fire units in my City carry the atropine injectors as well. They are the same injectors used by the military. Since the city is co-located with Fort Bliss, Texas the city and military wanted to be prepared in the event of any type of attack on Ft Bliss. We conducted a lot of joint training with their fire department on post. I was responsible for all the auto injectors that were issued to my Fire Battalion in El Paso when I was with them. We had the m locked up in a lock box on all of our units.

Leigh

@Beast: I sure do remember the Schwimmbad. They called that area "the Amiwiese" because the first swimming pool in BK was built in the early 50s by the US Army. The pool and the surrounding belonged to the Army for a long time until they gave it to the local community in the 60s. There was also a Hallenbad in BK where I used to swim for PT.

Echo Troop (my troop) was on the border in December of 88 at Camp Lee. My crew was on OP Tennessee on Christmas day and we got a visit from Col White. the regimental CO, and the RCSM. All of us got regimental coins that day and I still have the card with the menu for the day. We also got a visit from the local community leaders from Eussenhausen at the OP. My troop was on the border every Thanksgiving and in 88, we swapped with Gold Troop. The took Thanksgiving that year and we took Christmas. We got relieved on the border during Level I & II gunnery every year. Other than that, we rotated in and out every month. I was in the Blackhorse for four years, and I spent thirteen months on the trace.

~Mark~

The green MOPP suits were training and doubled as snivel gear in the winter. The only bad thing was those stupid black boots with the 10 foot laces. We used to do MOPP 4 training in garrison once a month (in addition to all the other times). The only times you were supposed to take your pro mask off was to eat.

I don't recall ever having the actual NAAK kits in Germany. We used the training ones in CTT stakes and stuff like that. When I was in the Big Red One in Desert Storm, we had to take pyrodostigmine pills for several weeks. I never heard of taking doxycycline there. We got the botulism shots, the first test version of the anthrax shots, and who knows what all.

Jungle boots and green jungle fatigues were not authorized in USAREUR. From time to time, a new guy would report in from stateside and show up in one, the other, or both. They always got sent right to the barracks to change into BDUs and leather boots.

So I was thinking about the sleeping mat and then I remembered about the inflatable ones, I have seen the foam ones from 1986 on up(btw mine is 1987 dated) and have seen the inflatable ones dated up to 1985 so I am going to get a inflatable one for my early 80s impression(yes I know they usually don't take them to the field so this is more or less just for my collection). Also on the under shirts I have the tan ones but found so OD ones, what was more common? Lastly, thanks to everyone who has helped with the pictures and information, 16 pages and pinned in just 4 months.

Rakkasan187,

I just joined the site-- glad to see another Rakkasan here.

When were you with the 187th? I had three tours with the Rakkasans: 84- 85 (3-187), 90- 93 (3-187), 2002- 2004 (2- 187)

Scott

Rakkasan187,

I just joined the site-- glad to see another Rakkasan here.

When were you with the 187th? I had three tours with the Rakkasans: 84- 85 (3-187), 90- 93 (3-187), 2002- 2004 (2- 187)

Scott

Hi Scott,

Welcome aboard. I was with the Rakkasans from November 1984 to December 1986, Co C. 3-187 "Choppin Charlie"..

Leigh

Hi Scott,

Welcome aboard. I was with the Rakkasans from November 1984 to December 1986, Co C. 3-187 "Choppin Charlie"..

Leigh

We were in the SAME Company! "Charlie get your yo- yo!"

CPT Fix was the CO-- I was in LT Lash's platoon. I don't remember my first PSG, but SSG Hutto was the second PSG.

Guess you remember that freezing field problem in JAN?

Scott

We were in the SAME Company! "Charlie get your yo- yo!"

CPT Fix was the CO-- I was in LT Lash's platoon. I don't remember my first PSG, but SSG Hutto was the second PSG.

Guess you remember that freezing field problem in JAN?

Scott

Scott,

I was in 2nd Platoon as well. I also remember SSG Hutton. Lt Donald Lash was our Platoon Leader. My team leader was Corporal Rivera. I was first assigned as a Dragon Gunner in weapons squad. The weapons squad leader was SSG McCormick. I later became an M-60 gunner for second platoon. Other members of the platoon that I remember were: Specialist Kevin Stone, Specialist Brett Frazze, Corporal Rivera, Private Mark Ogassian. Sgt Wayne Stiveleta, Specialist Aaron Mills.

LTC James Hallums was our Battalion Commander at the time and our Brigade Commander was Colonel David Brammlett. (I met up with General Bramlett at Fort Bliss. He became the FORSCOM Commander and he came for a change of command for Joint Task Force 6. I was on the Color Guard and he remembered me from Ft Campbell..

When I arrived at the unit in early December 1984, the unit (the whole battalion) was at Fort Stewart, Ga. doing a rapid deployment exercise. The new replacements that came in during that time had to guard the parking lot at the end of the street. The parking lot was cordoned off with concertina wire. Evereyone stored their POVs there for the deployment. That was where we kept our POV's. Remember the lot?? We were right across the street from the Air Assault School and our Battalion Headquarters..

After Captain Fix left, I remember his was was a JAG lawyer, we had Captain Thomas. Do you remember him? He was from Massachusetts. I was from New Hampshire, and we got along great..

I will try to look for my pictures and name some other members of the company..

Thanks for remembering Scott,,

Leigh Smith (Smitty)

SSG McCormick was a line squad leader (mine) when I first got there. LTC Frankiwitz (spelling??) was the BN CDR-- Hallums was much better!

I was in AASLT School when the BN did the Stewart RDF deployment.

Some of my better friends from the platoon-- Juan Pinero and Mark Caudillo. And also from other platoons Wilfong and Rose.

Did you go on the 10th MTN Reactivation Ceremony?

How about the RDF Deployment to Utah in the spring? All I remember was a really long flight and then one mission to attack a hill.

I left the unit in late JUN 85, soon after our return from Panama.

Scott

SSG McCormick was a line squad leader (mine) when I first got there. LTC Frankiwitz (spelling??) was the BN CDR-- Hallums was much better!

I was in AASLT School when the BN did the Stewart RDF deployment.

Some of my better friends from the platoon-- Juan Pinero and Mark Caudillo. And also from other platoons Wilfong and Rose.

Did you go on the 10th MTN Reactivation Ceremony?

How about the RDF Deployment to Utah in the spring? All I remember was a really long flight and then one mission to attack a hill.

I left the unit in late JUN 85, soon after our return from Panama.

Scott

I remember Wilfong and Rose.. They went to Panama with us. I think it was Rose that got scared one night while on radio watch because of the Rock apes... I carried a Radio on one of the OPFOR missions. Remember the Jungle School at Ft Sherman?? We went through some of the training and we did lanes training with the booby traps and BB guns?? Also the jungle obstacle course.. One of our days off a bunch of us went to the beach down the road aways. I got a real bad sun burn.. We were the agressor force for TF 4-187.

Did not go to Drum for the ceremony, but did hear that it snowed quite a bit.

I did go to Utah. Did not go on the attack. When the guys came back they said it was a hill full of goats and goat poop. I think some guys called it the battle of goat poop hill.. Stayed at the barracks and guarded the equipment with Mark Ogassion. I also remember Juan. got busted a little later on for cocaine. He was a 60 gunner too when I got there.

I went to Air Assault school in February 85, then to Panama, then that summer we went to West Point...

You were right it was Colonel Frankiwietz first, and then Colonel Hallums took over command.

One other guy I remember was Specialist Brent Macintosh. He was in HQ plt, I think he was an RTO for the Cdr..

Good times

Leigh