curious if these wings are WWII

R Michael

Hello all I just got a CBI cut down with these wings on it. I am curious if these are WWII. I have a feeling they are not. No real reason other than they are a bit different than the few other period wings I have. Well anyway any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

post-1387-0-64036200-1371082085.jpg

post-1387-0-19618200-1371082095.jpg

Hi Mike,

The I21 marking indicates VN period but even unmarked, the distinctive feathering "cuts" are from a purely post-WW2 USAF design.

Regards

Mike

militarymodels

Hello Mike,

Based on the pattern, the construction, and the marking on the back, I would say no, they're not WW2 wings.

Regards,

Lonnie

Lonnie and Mike, Many thanks! You confirmed my feelings about them. The good thing is the uniform did have wings on it for a very long time so I am sure someone added these to an already imprinted uniform.

Thanks again, Mike

Post 1965 by International Insignia Corp of provenance, RI. They are still in business and currently are a subcontractor to Vanguard. They make all kinds of US insignia. Here is a link to their website. I suggest you look at the Process section. The last few pictures are very telling who they make their insignia for.

http://www.internationalinsignia.com/index.asp

Just for reference: the single digit hallmarks started around 1960 the double digit around 1965. Of course there will be exception to every rule, but that will give you a general idea when something with a number hallmark was made.

A nice pair of wings and perhaps even the Vet himself replaced a pair he had lost or gave away.

The exception to the rule is easy to figure out.

14C - is where the two digits are before the letter which is the same as a single digit and one letter 1954-1965.

I21 is where the letter is first, followed by a two digit number and that would mean after 1965.