Helmet Restoration before and after.

jbassmaster18

jbassmaster18

I always wanted a "Captain Miller" helmet ever since I saw saving private ryan as a kid. I also reenact the 2nd rangers, so this was on my "to do list" I found a cheap fixed bail shell and MINT liner for $40, ande sat on it for years. It looked like this:

IMG_1374_zps38b85f82.jpg

I then decided on a rainy day, to start restoring it. After stripping the layers of paint, I discovered it a Schluter shell with NO cracks!! Repainted it, re corked it and hand applied the markings:

523513_632808103411890_955815931_n_zps71

20825_632808106745223_1318543267_n_zpsfb

I also dug around in my box and found one khaki chinstrap and M1helmetdepot.com had the side I was missing. I had my buddy bar tack them on like an original (though I made sure to tell him to make it so it wont pass for real) then had him weather it. I LOVE it.

jbassmaster18

and the after:

IMG_1842_zps4ee7659c.jpg

IMG_1843_zpsae51b606.jpg

IMG_1844_zpsf417624f.jpg

IMG_1845_zpsb91b8558.jpg

IMG_1847_zps2878dae0.jpg

Here it is on display:

IMG_1848_zps1329e3ea.jpg

So the ONLY repro part is the leather chinstrap, (wich if someone has a beat up original I'd be interested) Im glad I invested the time and money in this instead of one from At the front. This was not made to fool anyone as being real, just fulfilling a childhood "dream" What do you all think??

Screamingeagles101

Very nice ! However, because it was a schlueter fixed bail, I think I would have left it, they are pretty rare.

jbassmaster18

Well I didn't realize that untill it was stripped. Even if it wasn't it was all rusted and crappy. Don't think I hurt the value

P-40Warhawk

You did a nice job.

Not to take away from the effort or anything, but I wouldn't call that a "restoration" since it has lost everything original save the metal shell. And it looks like it was a pretty decent example, It doesn't appear to have been rusted out or anything.

SergeantMajorGray

Not hating on your helmet here but why couldn't you just buy one of these off ebay since there is a ton on there. You destroyed all the value this helmet had which was at least $200.

jbassmaster18

As i already said, I didn't realize it was a rare shell untill the 5 layers of reprints and surface rust were removed from the inside of the shell. And I made this because that's what I wanted to do. If you think I ruined it that's just your .02.

$200 for a fixed loop Schlueter with multiple repaints missing one strap? I think that's a bit of a stretch. Maybe $50 to $75

You destroyed all the value this helmet had which was at least $200.

I like it, and you if you like it, thats all the matters, this hobby is about what makes you happy.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Nice job!!

Nicely done...makes a good display piece. No harm in re-cycling an old shell like that. You've given it a new lease of life.

SergeantMajorGray

$200 for a fixed loop Schlueter with multiple repaints missing one strap? I think that's a bit of a stretch. Maybe $50 to $75

I didn't see it was missing a strap and I thought it had a light repaint.

Nice job! Tell me please how did you age the shell? Especially the white markings on the back of the helmet. Looking good to me :)

jbassmaster18

I wish I could tell you!! I had a buddy do it. He charged me $75 and spent about a week on it. I asked him how he did it and he wouldn't tell me!! It is sexy though isn't it???