Finally completed my WWII HBT uniform collection! Found my Holy Grail.

rambob

I really couldn't believe that the QM tag would have survived intact even after only one washing. I am less disappointed thinking that the color printing on the HBTcloth of the jacket was just done more lightly, rather than the jacket was faded due to washing.

rambob,

You are correct, those linen tags would not survive a couple of washings. It would be faded to white and not legible. I have seen the HBT camouflage printed in the lighter shades like your example. It may have been at the end of a run of cloth and the dyes may have been running out during the printing process, who knows. The color of your jacket of one of the variations of HBT camouflage material that is somewhat less common, but otherwise all original.

Didn't see Flage Guy's post before I posted my response. He is absolutely correct and the examples he shows are great! There were many variations of the dye colors on the early camouflage outfits.

Everyone, Thanks so much for all of the kind words and info about my set of HBT camo jacket and trousers. I really appreciate it and members like you is what makes this forum so great.

Bob

• 9 months later...
Fred Adolphus

Rambob,

I need help identifying some HBTs in my museum collection: you appear to be the expert! I have tried uploading the images but cannot do it in this forum for some reason. If you want me to send you the images to an email address, I can. If you want to contact me, please do so at the Fort Polk Army Museum. I can use your help. Thanks, Fred

[email protected]

• 1 month later...
rlyoun3910

US Army soldiers in M2 Halftrack, Pont Brocard, France, 28 July 1944. The soldiers from 41st Armored Infantry Regiment, 2d Armored Division, are wearing camouflage uniforms (Jacket, HBT, Camouflage, Army) that were quickly abandoned due to similarity to German uniforms.

post-115509-0-80430800-1400551965.jpg

While no mention has been made on this thread, dont forget that these camo HBT uniforms (both the overalls and two piece) where still to be seen in the Pacific well into 1945.

I have seen several photos over the years showing a bizaar mixture of camo coat and plain trousers, or vice versa, being worn during the liberation of the Philippines.

CB

'Flage Guy

CB, you are right. Among others, I have a photo of Army forces debarking in the Philippines, and at least 3 One-Piece Jungle Suits can be seen.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this back up to the top, but beautiful jacket. I just restarted my unissued collection- again, and decided to start it off with a mint HBT I found. I've been going through all these threads re-educating myself and I have learned a good bit from your collection. A camouflage HBT jacket is what I have wanted to find for the longest time. I always have dreams where I get them for $20 in bulk at surplus stores!!!

Sam