Finally completed my WWII HBT uniform collection! Found my Holy Grail.

rambob

Well I am absolutely elated that after many years I have finally completed the WWII HBT part of my WWII clothing collection. The holy grail for me was a mint, unissued jacket, HBT, camouflaged to go with my mint trousers, with QM and cutters tags. It was the only item, that had consistently eluded me throughout the years and I just won this jacket off of EPay. It just arrived and I went over every square inch it and it appears to be mint, unissued with absolutely NO defects and a perfect QM tag in the pocket. It doesn’t even look like any of the button holes on the jacket have ever had the buttons put through them. I would be amazed if this jacket had ever been worn.

Two things I would like the forum to weigh in on are. The overall camouflage, print, color of the jacket is a lot lighter than other WWII camo items that I own. The color is 100% uniform over the entire jacket and if the QM tag wasn’t absolutely perfect, I might say it had been laundered once. BTW. The OD thread used on all of the sewing is as dark as you would expect for an unissued item. Has any other forum member’s ever seen fabric, used for these jackets, that was as lightly printed as on this jacket?? Secondly, I got this jacket for the reserve price of $500, with no other bidding competition on the auction. Did I do alright on the price?? It’s more than I have spent on anything, non-firearm wise on my collection, ever. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Here is the jacket Front.

post-299-0-96398100-1371063041.jpg

Here is the QM tag. In this image you can really see best how light the fabric printing is and how dark the green thread is.

post-299-0-31445900-1371063186.jpg

Johan Willaert

I see no problems with originality although I do think it was washed once or twice

Here's a picture of my darker jacket (different tones have been observed) with a mint unwashed label...

post-92-0-98554300-1371063362.jpg

post-92-0-73217700-1371063369.jpg

TheGrayGhost

That is a nice looking jacket, I don't know much about them so I can't way in on that matter. Don't ruin the joy of getting your most sought after item worrying about the price. Put it in your collection and enjoy it!

Congrats, feels good don't it? :)

I also would not worry about the price. If this was your Holy Grail, then price should not factor in, right? But 5 bills sounds about right

Thanks for your quick replies!! Here are my camo trousers that I am gauging the fabric color to for reference.

post-299-0-85739800-1371063736.jpg

post-299-0-23545900-1371063761.jpg

post-299-0-95648100-1371063770.jpg

Johan Willaert

Just FYI I paid much more for the jacket above and whenever I feel it might have been too much I look at this Captain and the mood changes again.. :lol:

post-92-0-67599700-1371064381.jpg

post-92-0-54996100-1371064511.jpg

craig_pickrall

Congratulations Bob. It is always nice to complete a set. Great looking example.

I'm not sure if this will answer your question but for what it is worth... Back in the good old days (late 70's or early 80's) George Petersen had the pants that match this jacket. He had a stack of them and they were all the same pattern but different maker. Out of about 50 pair there were three distinct shades of camo. The pattern was basically the same but the colors varied greatly. These were all new trousers with cutter tags. Because of the high price ($50) I could only afford one pair so I picked the same color that matches your jacket. One of the colors was much lighter than yours and the other pair was slightly darker. As luck would have it a friend found a jacket that matched my trousers. It had been used but was in excellent condition but not near as nice as yours. He sold off his collection about 15 years ago and I got the jacket then.

Nice score.I found two in a shop a few years ago.THe guy had found them at a salvation army store around the corner from his store and then hung them on the rack as a hunting shirt.He sold military surplus and I told him they were WW2 and he said they were not as they were not marked.So I gave him his $2.50 per shirt and walked out the door.Both unissued and I sold one.wish I wouldnt have sold it.

I think you did fine on the price.You see all kinds of Marine camo but these dont turn up often and in this condition.I recently saw one of the ETO/Brit made camo shirts and was surprised it didnt sell.

Craig, Thanks so much for weighing in here. So in your opinion, do you think these were washed or were they manufactured that way. BTW. In your experience, how many washing's would it take to adversely effect the QM tag. The tag is so delicate, that I imagine any washing would tend to wash out the text and eventually bleach it white.

Thanks,

Bob

craig_pickrall

Craig, Thanks so much for weighing in here. So in your opinion, do you think these were washed or were they manufactured that way. BTW. In your experience, how many washing's would it take to adversely effect the QM tag. The tag is so delicate, that I imagine any washing would tend to wash out the text and eventually bleach it white.

Thanks,

Bob

It is all a best guess but my guess is they have not been washed. I think one washing in a modern washing machine would do major damage to the tag.

Hey Craig, Thanks for your opinions on my HBT Jacket. Being an Engineer, I really couldn't believe that the QM tag would have survived intact even after only one washing. I am less disappointed thinking that the color printing on the HBTcloth of the jacket was just done more lightly, rather than the jacket was faded due to washing. I was a bit nervous and surprised that no one else on this forum got into a bidding war with me on the jacket, so I thought they knew better than me and maybe I had made a boo boo paying $500 for it. I will always be looking for a mint, stronger colored jacket to more closely match the color of my trousers and if I happen to be successful, you can always have first dibs on this jacket since it matches your trousers, if you are interested.

BTW. Could you post photos of your camo set for my reference. Lastly, as an Administrator can you help me get access to the reference sections of the forum. I keep getting an error message when I try to read posts there.

Regards,

Bob

RustyCanteen

BTW. Could you post photos of your camo set for my reference. Lastly, as an Administrator can you help me get access to the reference sections of the forum. I keep getting an error message when I try to read posts there.

Hi,

Which sections do you need access to? If it is Uniforms Reference, I will get those back up soon.

RC

Hey RC, My favorite sections are uniforms, personal gear and firearms. The reference sections in all of these are barfing when I try to view them.

Bob

Rambob, you really done it on that one!!

Let me assure you right here that your Jacket has never seen a washing machine; as Craig pointed out, the spec tag would not be in that condition. There was a vast array of dye variations in the early-run 'flage HBT, and you snagged one of the more unusual ones. I've seen mint Trousers made from this "pale" variation as well.

Here is a photo which was sent to me by a fellow collector years ago of a mint Army set...note the difference!

post-3226-0-18558100-1371147809.jpeg

A small sample of dye variants- One-Piece Jungle Suits: the one on the left has been washed once (tag still readable- "H.D. Lang Co. 1943"), but the others are mint.

post-3226-0-01643500-1371148019.jpg

Flage Guy, I was really hoping you would weigh in on this jacket!! I really respect your expertise and believe you have forgotten more about WWII camouflage clothing, than most of us could hope to learn in a lifetime. I now feel 100% confident that I have the real, unwashed deal here. Thanks for the help!! BTW. The first picture you posted is exactly the kind of color difference I have between my own camo trousers and jacket. I guess I just need time to get used to the color contrast, but I am sure the set will grow on me over time.

Bob

craig_pickrall

Hey Craig, Thanks for your opinions on my HBT Jacket. Being an Engineer, I really couldn't believe that the QM tag would have survived intact even after only one washing. I am less disappointed thinking that the color printing on the HBTcloth of the jacket was just done more lightly, rather than the jacket was faded due to washing. I was a bit nervous and surprised that no one else on this forum got into a bidding war with me on the jacket, so I thought they knew better than me and maybe I had made a boo boo paying $500 for it. I will always be looking for a mint, stronger colored jacket to more closely match the color of my trousers and if I happen to be successful, you can always have first dibs on this jacket since it matches your trousers, if you are interested.

Regards,

Bob

Bob, I have never taken photos of my camo set. I currently am recovering from a shoulder operation and can not lift the boxes necessary to get to the uniform. I will make a note and once I can do the photos I will. I will be out of therapy in mid-July and will be able to do so then (hopefully).