"Juarez" Walter Lampl Bombardier Wing Variations?

5thwingmarty

5thwingmarty

Can anyone tell me how many design variations there were for the Walter Lampl "Juarez" bombardier wings? I have seen at least three variations that are supposed to all be from this maker and am not sure which one(s) are possibly genuine and which one(s) are definitely fakes.

The fronts of the feathered parts of the wings all look the same with the small feathers that almost look like a cluster of grapes and the design for the feathers. The bombs have all looked the same as well, but the front center sections have had two styles. One style looks like an observer background with the horizontal lines, but the outer ring is rather wide compared to many other observer wings I have seen. The second style has concentric rings for the background rather than the observer's horizontal lines.

On the backs of the wings I have seen two styles. One style has a completely flat back, while the other style has the center circular section recessed.

Along with these style variations, there are also the variations as to being stamped as Sterling or Coin Silver and with or without the actual Walter Lampl hallmark.

Another question is about the bomb on the front. Was this a separately made piece that was then attached?

Attached are photos of a wing that I recently picked up. It looked good in the ebay photos but not so good in real life. It appears to be a cast copy with lots of pits and globs on the back. The photo of the top edge shows the nub from when it was cast. The bottom edge photo was an attempt to show the tip of the bomb which has a casting flaw. On the front there appears to be some kind of residue gunking up the details around the bomb, possibly residue from the mold?

If anyone can confirm which styles were genuine and if the bombs were attached sepperate pieces I would appreciate it.

Marty

post-96854-0-14769000-1371044702.jpg

post-96854-0-05187800-1371044709.jpg

post-96854-0-02362900-1371044717.jpg

post-96854-0-45948300-1371044722.jpg

I've got a pair marked "coin silver" and exact front to yours, but does not have any casting flaws, I can't post picture but did get from vet's family member and have no reason to doubt they're original to WWII period. I've got a pilots pair around here also that I'll dig out and compare the back on, but I wouldn't be too afraid of them..

5thwingmarty

Thanks guys. I know there are the Sterling and Coin Silver variants, I'm still wondering about the actual design variants for the bombardier wings. The version with the recessed circle on the back and the concentric circles on the front is now a confirmed genuine design. I would still like to know if there are any smooth back bombardier variants that are genuine and if the horizontal lined background on the front is also a genuine variant.

Marty

Can anyone tell me how many design variations there were for the Walter Lampl "Juarez" bombardier wings? I have seen at least three variations that are supposed to all be from this maker and am not sure which one(s) are possibly genuine and which one(s) are definitely fakes.

The fronts of the feathered parts of the wings all look the same with the small feathers that almost look like a cluster of grapes and the design for the feathers. The bombs have all looked the same as well, but the front center sections have had two styles. One style looks like an observer background with the horizontal lines, but the outer ring is rather wide compared to many other observer wings I have seen. The second style has concentric rings for the background rather than the observer's horizontal lines.

On the backs of the wings I have seen two styles. One style has a completely flat back, while the other style has the center circular section recessed.

Along with these style variations, there are also the variations as to being stamped as Sterling or Coin Silver and with or without the actual Walter Lampl hallmark.

Another question is about the bomb on the front. Was this a separately made piece that was then attached?

Attached are photos of a wing that I recently picked up. It looked good in the ebay photos but not so good in real life. It appears to be a cast copy with lots of pits and globs on the back. The photo of the top edge shows the nub from when it was cast. The bottom edge photo was an attempt to show the tip of the bomb which has a casting flaw. On the front there appears to be some kind of residue gunking up the details around the bomb, possibly residue from the mold?

If anyone can confirm which styles were genuine and if the bombs were attached sepperate pieces I would appreciate it.

Marty

I fear that this is a cast copy. It almost looks like one of JoeW's wings

Best I can recall, ALL the bombardier wings were made with an applied bomb over an observer base wing. Also, the "alphabet" wings (glider, liaison, service pilot) were made with the appropriate letter applied over a base pilot wing. I have seen a few other very rare ratings (ie. flight surgeon and gunner wings) that I also believe to have been made with an applied device over the base observer wing. The aircrew wing was made as a one piece version.

Also, the Juarez wings have a very distinctive catch, pin and hinge. Your wing doesn't have that hardware, best I can see. Also, the back is wrong. There should be a circular indentation, like the one shown by John.

I would think about sending this one back.

Sorry.

Patrick

Better pictures would clarify, but I fear it isn't correct.

militarymodels

I fear that this is a cast copy. It almost looks like one of JoeW's wings

Also, the Juarez wings have a very distinctive catch, pin and hinge. Your wing doesn't have that hardware, best I can see. Also, the back is wrong. There should be a circular indentation, like the one shown by John.

I would think about sending this one back.

Sorry.

Patrick

Better pictures would clarify, but I fear it isn't correct.

I agree! The back doesn't look right, especially the catch. I don't think Juarez wings have that type of catch. I have a few Juarez wings, let me check tonight to see if I have a Coin Silver Bombardier wings. It's a good fake IMO.

Lonnie

5thwingmarty

It is already headed back for a full refund.

I picked this one up because I have so many bombardier class books with the supposed Juarez wing on the cover. Turned out that the wing was a copy, and actually the wings on the covered of the books are not distinctly Juarez style wings either. The wings on the covers have the observer type center behind the bomb (horizontal lines not concentric rings) and the feathers on the wings are very detailed, more like a Luxemburg wing.

Marty

post-96854-0-61084100-1371066408.jpg

5thwingmarty

Thanks again. Your collection confirms that they did have two types of front designs (observer and concentric circles).

Marty

• 3 years later...
5thwingmarty

I think I may be getting too old and forgetful to keep collecting wings. I looked on the forum to research a wing on ebay I was thinking about bidding on it, only to find a thread I started about the exact same style of wing that was shown to be a copy three years ago.