Hooked on War Films?

TasmanianDevil

TasmanianDevil

Growing up in Tassie, I'd say the three main movies that got me hooked on war films would be,

Gallipoli - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082432/?ref_=sr_1

Platoon - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091763/?ref_=sr_1

and

The Lighthorsemen - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093416/?ref_=sr_4

Which films did the same for you? I would love to know, I promise I will watch every one that is posted, if it is available. Kane

TasmanianDevil

Definitely some variety in those two films, Thanks lads. Will watch them both.

Not a war film, but seeing Tank with James Garner when I was 4 had a distinct impact.

Tanks for the memories? ;)

Most of the war movies that I saw when I was young were B&W and off the television as I was not allowed to go to movies. Most were about the Korean war and WW2.

Newer ones I remember would include Tora, Tora, Tora, Platoon, When Trumpets Fade, The Beast, Glory, etc... I can't list the many great movies I have seen.

• My brother is 5 years older than me and he saw several war movies a long time ahead of me. In a pre-home video era, I used to hear him talking about how good, "Kelly's Heroes" was but never saw it until i was a teen. Loved it ever since.

I remember seeing ads for "A bridge too far" when it first came out and my parents saying I was too young to see a movie like that (didn't stop me from buying the magazine they put out about the movie, which I have to this day, and years later I walked up the same steps of 'Arnhem' bridge from the movie - actually in Deventer - that the Brit flamethrower team did).

On TV, I clearly recall seeing 'Guns of Navarone' and being bored to the very end.

"Force Ten from Navarone," I did see in the theater, even though I didn't understand a lot of it (or know what a bad movie it really was, I still have a soft spot for that move to this day).

A few classics (I'm 33, so these may not be classics to you!) that I must watch whenever they are on (even though I have most of them on disc) would be have to be:

Kelly's Heroes

Where Eagles Dare

The Big Red One

Hell in the Pacific

The Dirty Dozen

The Great Escape

Stalag 17

Bridge on the River Kwai

A few classics (I'm 33, so these may not be classics to you!) that I must watch whenever they are on (even though I have most of them on disc) would be have to be:

Kelly's Heroes

Where Eagles Dare

The Big Red One

Hell in the Pacific

The Dirty Dozen

The Great Escape

Stalag 17

Bridge on the River Kwai

Eric...all of those were made before you were born!! ;)

Indeed, Ian! With the exception of The Big Red One, which was released 4 months after I was born (although techinically it would have been made before I was born...)

I can, however, remember watching most of these when I was younger on two UHF channels in my area (17 and 57), obviously heavily edited.

bunkerhillburning

" A midnight clear " the original story was written by a US WWII combat vet. It can be viewed on Youtube.

Several years ago, a company in the UK published a part work called "Great War Movies". Each month for about two years they issued two classic war movies on DVD and each one was accompanied by magazine full of facts about the movie in question. I subscribed to it and, as a consequence, have almost every war movie of note on DVD...all of the famous ones, plus some not quite as famous, but not half bad either! It was a worthwhile investment.

By way of a PS...I watched "The Battle of Britain" (again!) yesterday. One of my all time faves and, being British, it means a lot to me. The aerial sequences have never been bettered. Forget the GCI of "Red Tails"...this was the real McCoy!

Farewell to the King

The Pacific ( I know its a series)

Cross of Iron

We Were Soldiers

Objective Burma

Patton

and just about any other war movie ever made! Scott.

History Man

My dad introduced me to war movies when I was quite younger about 8 years ago, here are some that I will make sure to watch every so often.

Patton

Midway
Kelly's Heroes

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Bridge Over the River Kwai

A Bridge Too Far

Devil's Brigade

Dirty Dozen

The Great Escape

Memphis Belle

Battle of Britain

Where Eagles Dare

PT-109

The Bridge At Remagen

The Big Red One

Just to name a few... ;)

Philip

When I was younger I didnt watch many war movies, so now I am playing catch up. 2 That I watched recently and realy enjoyed is Kelly's Hero's and the original Inglorious Bastards. I originally watched the Tarentino version and had no idea it was a remake, till I seen the orginal on my cable guide.

I do have to point out tho that collecting militaria has ruined watching war films for me. I find myself paying more attention to the the uniforms and equipment, then the actual movie. LOL

A few others I really liked

Black Hawk Down

We Were Soldiers

Full Metal Jacket

Flags of our Fathers

Hart's War

Amen to the Battle of Britain Ian-one of my favorites. Pretty accident free too as I recall. Made when they actually had vet advisers for the movie. Galland was one.

Also

In Harms Way

They Were Expendable

Saving Private Ryan

Letters From Iwo Jima

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
USA.mil.history

I guess I am more than a little late to this forum but as a kid I was very influenced by a 1943 movie called "The Purple Heart", a fictionalized account of those Doolittle Raiders that were captured and tried by the Imperial Japanese as war criminals. While it was blatant pro US and anti Japanese propaganda (they didn't even really know the true fate of the captured Raiders at that point in the war) it is still very moving. Dana Andrews, Richard Conti and all the others give outstanding performances. All the prisoners have to do is admit they flew from a carrier.... but the won't. The message is one of honor and self sacrifice over self preservation. Ironically it turns out the fictional story was pretty close to the real historical facts. The lessons I learned from that movie are with me to this day. I wish kids today had positive stories like that to inspire them to greater things.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I am more than a little late to this forum but as a kid I was very influenced by a 1943 movie called "The Purple Heart", a fictionalized account of those Doolittle Raiders that were captured and tried by the Imperial Japanese as war criminals. While it was blatant pro US and anti Japanese propaganda (they didn't even really know the true fate of the captured Raiders at that point in the war) it is still very moving. Dana Andrews, Richard Conti and all the others give outstanding performances. All the prisoners have to do is admit they flew from a carrier.... but the won't. The message is one of honor and self sacrifice over self preservation. Ironically it turns out the fictional story was pretty close to the real historical facts. The lessons I learned from that movie are with me to this day. I wish kids today had positive stories like that to inspire them to greater things.

I remember that flick. in real life one of the captured Raiders remained in Japan after the war. he became a Christian and preached the word there for many years

When I was younger I didnt watch many war movies, so now I am playing catch up. 2 That I watched recently and realy enjoyed is Kelly's Hero's and the original Inglorious Bastards. I originally watched the Tarentino version and had no idea it was a remake, till I seen the orginal on my cable guide.

I do have to point out tho that collecting militaria has ruined watching war films for me. I find myself paying more attention to the the uniforms and equipment, then the actual movie. LOL

A few others I really liked

Black Hawk Down

We Were Soldiers

Full Metal Jacket

Flags of our Fathers

Hart's War

I remember in the movie The Green Berets, they didnt show much use of the M1 helmet until the very end of the movie when troops are shown arriving in Vietnam wearing Mitchell camo covers on their M1

they looked like real soldiers that were from Fort Benning , GA where most of the movie was filmed in the summer of 1967

Favorites (Not by order of best to worst)

------------------------------------

1.) Red Dawn (1984)

2.) Apocalypse Now

3.) Full Metal Jacket

4.) Jarhead

5.) Zero Dark Thirty

6.) Pork Chop Hill

7.) Hamburger Hill

8.) Act of Valor

9.) The Hurt Locker

10.) Jet Pilot

11.) Sands of Iwo Jima