WWII USMC Knpasack. Normal to see this?

knd643

Hi. I saw this WWII USMC knapsack on ebay for sale and one of the buckles looks to be brass and the other looks to be the normal color. Is this normal to see or is that just paint that the company put on it? Here are some pictures.

post-104203-0-01178700-1371008819.png

post-104203-0-03489100-1371008858.png

It's not too unusual to see WWII equipment with different metal parts on the same piece. The earlier brass type metal parts were replaced with black painted steel parts around 1943. I had a helmet that had a brass hook but a blackened steel buckle and adjustment on the long chin strap. The parts were placed in bins and they used what was available. I also have a 1943 OD jungle pack that has a mix of blackened steel and cast pot metal adjustment buckles.

For what it's worth. I have been sorting through a huge barn find of pack etc. I have seen do several just like the one you have pictured. The Marine Corp held onto gear until it was useless. They wouldn't have any issues with changing a buckle.

Catfishcraig

The pack in question is one that I'm selling. Funny thing is that this is one of the first items in my personal collection and knd643 brought out something that I've never noticed. I pulled it out this morning and sure as heck one of the buckles is brass and the other is black painted steel (at least I think its steel). However the buckles are identical in shape and form. The strap tips for the cover seem to be steel too but the buckle and strap tip on the side to mount the lower pack to the upper pack is brass. I'm going to guess it was made like this as it doesn't appear from the stitching that the buckle was ever replaced.

Thanks for the comments! made my morning interesting

Craig

Thanks for the info on the buckle. Did not know it was yours Craig. Hopefully I can get a hold of it. Have been looking for a Boyt 42 or 43 dated knapsack.