Squadron Insignia Information

philliephanatic

philliephanatic

Hello,

I am interested in finding good publications that depict WWII Squadron Insignia in both color and or black and white. I am interested in seeing them in photographs and as drawings. I have Maurer and Maurer's book "Combat Squadrons of WWII", but some of the drawings they show are Post WWII designs. I also have over 40 years of ASMIC's Trading Post, so I am sure to find tons of images and drawings if I ever have the time to go through them all. I also have a book about Marine Corps Squadrons lying around somewhere, but I don't remember the author and title.

Can anyone recommend any other really good sources?

Yes...the 1944 "National Geographic" insignia issue. Hundreds of them in colour. A member was selling a copy on here very cheaply quite recently. I can't recall who it was...it was part of a lot of several items he'd listed. If you check out the appropriate "For Sale" forum, you might find the thread it's listed in?

Johnny Signor

I have been collecting images of WW2 era USAAF/USN/USMC flying units for about 30 years , I have a lot of them that are "UNofficial" and rarely seen types , if you need help with ID's I'll be very happy to lend a hand/eye in this case on them if you want to shoot scans to my PM etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One good source is Robert Watkins volume series WW 2 Battlecolors , Schiffer Books puts them out, I had a hand in helping him with emblems in a few of the volumes , they're great as he puts colored renderings in them and they're chock full of the details of what/where/when etc of each of the various Groups !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

You may also want to see HHBooker's posting on this site of the patches he has posted , contact him and I'm sure he'll tell you where it is on the site, I sent him a couple discs he loaded onto the forum that has many US Navy flying unit emblems of WW2 that are rarely seen too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

philliephanatic

I have that issue of National Geographic. Thanks for reminding me about it. I will dig that out tonight and take a look at it. I was looking at Watkins' books but had not seen any reviews of them. It sounds like they are good sources.

I will look for HH Booker's posting.

Thank you both for your help.

Steindaddie

"Air Heraldry" by Carl Mann is another good source. Published in 1944, it usually sells for about $50 and up.

WorldWarPatches

I agree with Steindaddy I wouldn't sell my Air Heraldy for 500.00 But my squadron bible is " World War II Combat Squadrons of the United States Air Force" by USAF Historical Division Air University Department of The Air Force

ISNB # is 0-8317-1801-4

contains histories and emblems of 1,226 combat squadrons that saw action in WW 2

Another good series is by Robert A Watkins "Battle Colors" Volume 1 to 4. He is also doing a CBI book that should be out in August or September.