Yellow Rose Jacket on eBay

Sparty On

I didn't see where this has been discussed yet so I though I would start. I was watching and looking at this item the last few days now trying to determine the authenticity based on the photos and information provided (of course nothing beats hands on inspection IMO and you buy the item not the story). I'm anxious to add a painted bomber jacket to my aviation collection but I'm very hesistant about pulling the trigger on one for fear of getting burned. I've read where it has been suggested that provenence is key with these painted jackets but that also you can't necessarily determine the authenticity alone on whether or not the painted images are in excellent or poor condition. My guess is that this is a reproduction. The redflags I suspected are the condition of the cloth ends of the sleeves and waist appear too good of condition for a jacket that is supposed to be 65+ years old. I guess I would expect to see more tears or snags. Secondly, the removal of the manufacturer tag is alarming, although it appears to be an ANJ-3. Not to mention it only sold for just over $500.00 (I know these usually fetch a decent price tag). Does anyone else agree with this or am I wrong and someone got a great deal on a sleeper?

post-104736-0-81308400-1370816434.jpg

Im not crazy about the paint.Almost looks like an acrylic modern paint.Looks pretty fresh compared to the jacket.Art work varies but Im thinking this isnt from the 40s.

The missing tag is a red flag for me. Perhaps an original later done piece and the tag was removed to erase the date of manufacture.

If I were going to add an expensive piece to my collection, it would be one there was no doubt as to the authenticity.

Missing tag doesnt bother me.I have had several original A2s with them removed.The paint and lack of wear through it speak more to me

Johnny Signor

This is a jacket art from the CAF's B-25 of the same name , not a WW2 piece , check out the name and CAF and you should find some photos of he bird with this art

Johnny

The CAF B-25 has in the last few years, had a bikini overpainted on the girl. I understand this was done because of "political correctness". I do agree with the others here, that this is a made up jacket. Looks cool, but not something for a collection of "real", period items.

It's just like a G-1 but without the usual mouton collar. It's probably a commercial copy of an ANJ-3 jacket I believe, by virtue of the snap at the base of the zipper and, if I'm not mistaken, didn't originals have deep reddish-brown rayon lining?!

It's just like a G-1 but without the usual mouton collar. It's probably a commercial copy of an ANJ-3 jacket I believe, by virtue of the snap at the base of the zipper and, if I'm not mistaken, didn't originals have deep reddish-brown rayon lining?!

You nailed it Ian. This is a commercial produced ANJ-3. The artwork is no good. Commercial/Private Purchase jackets did make it into service, but I don't think this is one of them.

Missing spec labels aren't a problem on original A-2 jackets when you know what you are looking for. Contracts can still be determined by unique characteristics.

I also agree with the sentiment that when buying painted A-2 jackets or any high end flight jacket for that matter, provenance is key. There are pieces that you can tell are right as can be without it though. My best advice is to ask.

Good luck on the search.

JD

I did some searching as suggested and the Yellow Rose is definitely a modern work of fictitious nose art on the CAF B-25. So that eliminates any chance of it being a period jacket. Patience, I guess...

There is a name in the jacket.Just hard to say when it was worn.The lining is definately old as well as the leather.Not something I have seen on the repro Avirex jackets.Very possible a vintage MC or other commerical jacket.I agree with Ian on the snap on the bottom.Saw that right off.Most often see a snap on motocycle jackets.It doeas have the bi-directional waist band and the band and cuffs dont appear to be made of modern materials.