Personal Purchase Coat. Liberty Loan Patch 7th Div.

Chukpike

This is what is left of my Grandfathers 7th Division uniform jacket. I believe it was tailored upon his return from France. It is moth eaten. I would like to know the best coarse to save I what I can. It does have all it's buttons and the 7th division patch appears to be silk or satin? and in fine shape. I will make up some sort of display with what is recommended to save. Collar discs are in good condition. I have one pair of pants which are in bad shape and some of the buttons have deteriorated.(this is trash I think).

I have his helmet(not moth eaten). He wrote on strap Pvt. C.S. Pritchard 2nd Bat. 1lb cannon crew 55th Inf. (He was the gunner) He was gassed and wounded in France. I am working on trying to get his purple heart, as he died in a oil field accident in 1929 and never received. I think I have enough info (documents) to get it issued but I expect it to take a long time.

post-2228-1206935813.jpgpost-2228-1206936407.jpg

I wouldn't throw it out ,it's a part of your families history which can be saved

as is.

You could have it incased in a frame so no further damage can be done as

far as moths.

But by all means don't start taking it apart .

CNY Militaria

A dry cleaning would make it look more presentable and even with moth holes, it's still part of family history. I had a 100 year old uniform that was moth eaten and water damaged and overall looked awful. I had it dry cleaned and it looked near new after and very much displayable, even with the moth holes.

That sure looks like a Liberty Loan 7th patch. I would try to clean this and keep it as you found it.

What is a Liberty Loan patch? What is it made of? This uniform has a label inside that shows the jacket was either tailored for my grandfather or it was made for him. Label says De Luxe with a shield that has letters CG in center, then New York. Expect he bought it to go home in style. Also is the overseas chevron bullion type normally?

post-2228-1207191569.jpgpost-2228-1207191599.jpg

Thanks for all your input. The wool is really bad. You know how things can look better or worse in a photo, this looks worse in person. Not sure a dry cleaner would want to touch it. Plus I would be embarrassed to take it to them. This stripe seems to be metal or "bullion". What do I clean this with? Disregard the blue below stripe, it must be a shadow.

post-2228-1207192077.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another suggestion about mothing, the larvae can still be in the fabric, freeze it for a few days, take it out and let it warm up, and then freeze again for a few days to kill the larvae....or at least that is what I've been told. Chris...

My heavens!

Don't be embarrassed to take a piece of your family heritage to be cleaned!

Most cleaners are in business, and will clean just about anything for the money. You may have to sign a release, agreeing that the item was pre-damaged but that is no big deal. I have had uniforms in far worse condition cleaned.

At least take it to the cleaners first, as suggested, and then, if you still you must, make the decision to part out the uniform.

At worst you will be out $5.00 for the cleaning, and you just might just be surprised at how good it looks cleaned, and pressed.

Schottzie is correct, a good cleaning can do wonders for old cloth.

Chris

Salvage Sailor

A Question regarding dry cleaning.

If a uniform (over 100 years old) has information inscribed inside the tunic (initials, company number, etc) will this be affected by dry cleaning fluid?

A Question regarding dry cleaning.

If a uniform (over 100 years old) has information inscribed inside the tunic (initials, company number, etc) will this be affected by dry cleaning fluid?

I have never had a problem with items marked with indelible inks.

Chris