Citation needed for Silver US Lifesaving Medal

All Things Polar

All Things Polar

Dear All,

I am searching for a citation for a Silver US Lifesaving Medal that is engraved:

"TO EUGENE J. JOHNSON FOR BRAVELY RESCUING A SHIPMPATE FROM DROWNING JULY 11, 1940"

The medal was issued July 8, 1941, to Johnson as a Seaman 1st Cl. Although two others received similar medals the same day (a Lieutenant (jg), USNVR, and Private 1st Cl., USMC), it's unknown at present if all three individuals were involved in the same lifesaving action, as the wording on Johnson's medal suggests a singular act.

I have attempted to research Johnson, and he may be the same Eugene J. Johnson who enlisted in Des Moines, Iowa, on Sept. 17, 1935, and who was evidently onboard the USS Philip (DD-76) in Key West, in July 1940. This sailor was also present at the re-commissioning of the USS Calhoun (DD-85/APD-2) on Dec. 11, 1940; the Calhoun was sunk off Guadalcanal on Aug. 30, 1942, but it's unknown if Johnson was still aboard at the time.

No one named Eugene J. Johnson appears on any KIA or WIA lists for the Second World War.

If I can obtain his lifesaving award citation, it will put me on the right path to his naval service.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Glenn

I am not sure where you would look for the citation. I checked the navy muster rolls on ancestry and find a EUGENE J. JOHNSON s/n 3420809 aboard the Nevada in July of 40 and also for July 1940 as a patient on the USS Relief. He was a S2c and from Kansas City. This could be your guy and it is possible that the life saving action put him in the hospital.

All Things Polar

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, there was a Eugene J. Johnson, Seaman 2nd Cl., USS Nevada (enlisted Oct. 11, 1938, in Kansas City, Missouri), who was a patient on the hospital ship USS Relief from May 11 – July 31, 1940, who then returned to the Nevada. This man became a Seaman 1st Cl. on Dec. 1, 1941. The fact that this man was a patient during the time of the lifesaving incident, and was not a Seaman 1st Cl. until Dec. 1, 1941 works against him the lifesaving medal's recipient.

Glenn

Glenn,

Welcome to the Forum. There are ledgers in the National Archives that record the issue of the Treasury Lifesaving Medals up to 1944. They're in Record Group 26, Entry 248. Volume 3 covers 1927 to 1944. I used to have a sample of one of the entries but can't find it right now. If I come across it I'll post it here. If you write to the Archives they should be able to provide you with copies of the entries that are of interest to you.

All Things Polar

My warmest thanks to you, Adam. I'll get on this Monday.

Glenn

Finally found the entry for the medal that I used to own. The ledger may be in order by date of award or action rather than recipient's name. Probably best to include both name and date in your request.

post-10651-0-71307100-1370820332.jpg

All Things Polar

Okay Adam, thanks. Looks like I should expect a pretty full citation.

Glenn

I think the 3 awards on the same date are separate actions.

Frank R Aiello USMC received his medal for bravery on the North River, New York City, NY. The rescue took place in 1940.

I think the 3 awards on the same date are separate actions.

Frank R Aiello USMC received his medal for bravery on the North River, New York City, NY. The rescue took place in 1940.

I didn't realize that Frank Aiello was one of the three people in question. I actually knew him many years ago. He had a gun shop in Orange County and occasionally used to attend our southern California medal collector club meetings. He was a very nice guy. After he died I tried to buy his medals from the family but they went to another local collector instead. I think they're in a collection on the east coast now. Small world.

All Things Polar

I've written to the National Archives, asking for citations for Seaman Johnson, Lieutenant Thatcher and Private Aiello. Between the wording on Johnson's medal, and the fact that we now know Aiello's medal was for a different action, it appears likely that Thatcher's medal was also for a different action.

Glenn