"Fat Grip" M6 Bayonet

rifledoc1

I recently procured this Aerial manufactured M6 bayonet. The piece has a set of "Fat Grips" similar to the kind I understand were applied to early M5 bayonets. Until now I have never seen these types of grips on an M6. I know that M5 "Fat Grips" could have been applied at some point, but these grips appear to be made specifically for M6s, not M5s. Does any one know if "Fat Grips" were ever standard on any M6s?post-106423-0-35747000-1370746153.jpg

Off hand, I would say that the Fat grips would not be part of the standard issue M6, I would think that the M5 M5A1 and M6 grips would be inter-changeable. I'll have to check. What leads you to believe that the grips were made specifically for your M6 and not simply a replacement grip?

Marv

I know the 2d type M5/M5A1 grips were made slightly thinner and have checkering that rolls further up toward the upper tang. I've added a few more pictures. On the right is an Imperial manufactured M5 with 2d type grips. On the left is the M6 with the "Fat Grips". The reason I think theses "Fat Grips" were made for the M6 and not the M5/M5A1 is that they have a triangular notch cut out to interface with the angled portion of the M6's tang at the rifle stud slot.

post-106423-0-91689300-1370821546.jpg

Bottom picture of the M6 shows how the "Fat Grip" interfaces with the angle on the tang.

post-106423-0-67035300-1370821929.jpg

I can see the triangle area you're talking about. From the picture, it looks like that area was cut out or chipped out to accommodate the M6 triangle. If so, then an armorer made have simply adjusted the grips to fit the M6. Is that possible?

Marv

I was initially thinking the same thing. However, the triangle areas on both grips are a pretty clean cuts, and from my time as an armorer I know making cuts that clean in that area of a molded plastic grip would be difficult. The other thing I was thinking, if they are not OEM provided grips, is that they are 3d party parts manufacture, or reproduction.

Let's assume that a third party manufacturer replaced bad grips with their own. Why manufacture an outdated grip which would not conform to the current standard? With tens of thousands of M5s, M5A1s and M6s out there, why not just buy a dump load of surplus grips and use those? I do agree that these grips with their fiber impregnated centers would be difficult if not impossible to smooth out after cutting. As far as fat grips used on M6s go, consider the fact that yours is an Aerial which is not a huge maker. They could have ordered a few new fat grips specifically for their M6s which here-to -fore have gone unnoticed. I insist that Utica who made a few M5s used a third pattern grip on most of their bayonets. I have one of those and have specifically studied any one I have seen on Ebay and of the five I've seen, four had the third pattern grip. The difference is noticed at the bayonet slot. The third pattern does not have a border up against the slot. The fat grips and the 2nd pattern both have this border.

I think it's against the odds, but I'd have to say that you may have a unique grip for your M6.

Marv

DSC03606.jpg

Thank you for the insight. I think your comments on Aerial ordering and using a few first pattern grips for their M6s is the most plausible explanation. I think finding and researching the subtle differences in things like grips is one of the things that make collecting fun. I know from now on I'll be looking close at the grips on any M6 I see. After your post I'll be looking at M5 grips too. If I find any with the 3d pattern grips I'll be sure to post pictures on the Forum.

• 4 weeks later...