More American Legion war souvenirs

mvmhm

I've posted topics about an American Legion Post that's being disbanded, which included the WWI artifacts and trophies from Private Lawrence Powell. Today, I went through a few more boxes, one of which included their Drum and Bugle Corps trophies from the early 1930's. As I unwrapped one of the trophies, a German belt buckle fell out...I was pretty happy with that! But as I went on, a 2nd buckle was found, and then a third. A few more trophies later, and I found a German helmet plate. at the bottom of the box was a 1922 Legion Convention badger (held here in Dayton) in excellent condition. One of the other boxes has a letter opener which might have been one of Private Powells items, as it's marked "Ges. Gesch." (the German equivalent of "Patent Pending") on the reverse. Here's the plate, medal and letter opener. The plate was used on the Model 1902 Tropical Helmet, which, during World War I, was used by the German East Asiatic Forces.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-53960700-1370649886.jpg

..here's the belt buckles..one of the Prussian buckles has the remains of the leather tab...one of each type with silvered and brass rondels. The bottom buckle is from Saxony, which I believe are a little harder to find than most others...it's maker marked on the back and dated 1914. It also has a Regimental number stamped on the bottom edge. If it's the 101st Regiment, it was used by the 101st (2nd Royal Saxon) Grenadiers "Emperor William, King of Prussia. Not sure If I'll keep these are not since I have some Imperial buckles already, but definitely an unexpected surprise.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-14248900-1370650098.jpg

post-3423-0-20416500-1370650108.jpg

post-3423-0-72477400-1370650113.jpg

camelgreen44

Very nice pieces mark, The helmet plate is really cool! I like the buckles too. If you decide to part with any of it keep me in mind, Thanks Denny

• 4 months later...