More than one string to you collecting bow

dee222

I was at a show a couple of weeks ago and had a display of u s uniforms from Korean war and Vietnam war I also had British kit from 50,s and desert kit from Iraq

this was where my trouble started , a number of other,s with displays started at me for collecting American and British kit there point was that I wasn,t a true collector

only a hoarder because I like collecting both.

I would like to know if any of you guys double up on collecting like more than one branch etc

History Man

I collect items from USN + USMC but have been known to take a liking to USAAF items as well. It isnt hoarding in my book, its collecting in your focus.

Philip

Jack's Son

I collect what I like, NOT what others think I should collect. I have medals, wings and edged weapons, patches, and maybe a few other things.

Ive heard similar things about collecting WW2 allied and TR but I don't give a shinola its my collection and it will contain what I want it to

I collect whatever interests me, I collect bayonets & helmets of the world, any era, but prefer the older less common ones

and many other items like: compass, rations, field gear , canteens, inert ordnance, etc from any country

I collect modern items from Iraq/Afghanistan, militaria from the Central American wars, the African bush wars, Desert Storm, Just Cause, and Urgent Fury. I collect what I like and don't care what others think.

reddevil1311

Likewise what evryone else has said here - collect what YOU want to collect. :)

Personally, I collect US Army from the 1930s to the present day, USAF from 1947 to 1980s, British Army in WWII and the 1950s, and Swedish Army 1930s to 1950s. Lots and lots of scope to collect lots of "goodies" in that lot. perhaps this explains why i am Always broke! ;)

A

Collect what you want....ignore such comments from others. You don't have to justify it to anyone!

I had the other thing happening to me.

Since I mainly focus on Tank Destroyer related stuff and some Armor, I have been accused of being one-sided and narrow minded even.

It is not because I collect in a very set area that I have no interest in other aspects of wartime history, or even other history (I also read about Prehistoric Times, Ancient architecture, wildife, etc).

It is amazing how some "expert" people can Judge your whole character by merely a few lines on a forum or a field of collecting ...... (sarcasm intended).

Erwin

Garandomatic

I'm glad I only know a couple of other collectors. I try to narrow my focus to the US Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Marines, and AIr Force, from about WWI to now.

Like most of the other guys who have commented here, I collect what I like. Mostly insignia and soft headgear from all US services and British Commonwealth countries. Heck, I've got items from over 40 countries in the collection and don't feel the need to specialize in one time period or service.

As far as I'm concerned, I really don't care what any other collectors think about what I collect, and these collector snobs who want to judge anyones collection against their stupid opinions can take a flying leap at a rolling donut as far as I'm concerned!

Bottom line: collect what YOU like and can afford.

Lee is absolutely right. You should never feel...or be made to feel...that your collection is somehow "unworthy". There will always be those who can regularly afford to spend a few $k on medal groupings etc, and those who are hard pressed to raise $100 for a helmet etc. That's life...'twas ever thus. However, I would venture to suggest that the pleasure that can be had from a new addition to any collection is not necessarily linked to its monetary value. Do your own thing and, above all, enjoy it!!

I tried to focus my collection, but gave up. I basically collect any US items from the civil war through Vietnam and anything else that interest me. I have items from the civil war to political buttons to the Provisional IRA.

Some of the best collections I have seen are not focused.

Jack's Son

I had the other thing happening to me.

Since I mainly focus on Tank Destroyer related stuff and some Armor, I have been accused of being one-sided and narrow minded even.Erwin

Erwin.....this is because you ARE......."one-sided and narrow minded"!! :)

I collect what I want. And if hoarder is what I am labeled-we;ll I guess I am a hoarder. I have missed so many items when I "specialized" that i am sorry for the blinders. It is your money, your life and if it brings you joy, then do it. I am more the better for it. This is still a free country.

I would not pay them any mind, but would hand them a card and say anything you feel is out outside your "collection" I would gladly hoard it. :) There are snobs in every walk of life, I just don't them any favors when they act like that.

I collect anything and everything, most of the time I enjoy something for awhile and show it to people-then later sell it to get something else.

Thanks for the comments glade to hear there is a good range of items collected. What really p--d me of was one guy telling me my oef set was badged wrong

thing is it was the set I used but still had a go at me.

In the end it is all about what one has an interest in and what he or she can afford (due to financial reasons, space available, etc).

For me EVERY collection is interesting whether it ranges from 1776 till now or all types of canteens used by the US Armed Forces.

Since I joined this forum here, I have seen some really cool collections and items from all time periods.

Erwin

PS: Jack's Son ...... B):excl: