D-Day Story in UK Daily Mail

ajbUSWM

The online Daily Mail is pretty good at doing features like the one you've posted. I actually read it daily...in fact I believe it's the most read online "newspaper".

bunkerhillburning

From the article " Although Capa took 106 pictures, all but 11 of them were destroyed " Man, is that ever depressing.

Didn't Ambrose mention in his book on the subject that members of the Signal Corps came ashore with the invasion with cameras rolling? Somehow the footage was either locked away or lost? Can't recall exactly.

From the article " Although Capa took 106 pictures, all but 11 of them were destroyed " Man, is that ever depressing.

Didn't Ambrose mention in his book on the subject that members of the Signal Corps came ashore with the invasion with cameras rolling? Somehow the footage was either locked away or lost? Can't recall exactly.

Of all the times to destroy film... history lost forever.

The man who developed the films was so stressed not to mes it up, that he did just that he messed up big time. I wonder if he was scared to tell Capa...

Bob Landry landed on Utah- his film was given to a courier to bring back to the UK and it was reported dropped in the ocean when the guy was climbing back on a ship. There is still some controversy as to exactly what happened to the Capa film, There are some who say there was nothing more on them and the melting story was a way to cover it up. No one will ever know for sure.

Bob Landry landed on Utah- his film was given to a courier to bring back to the UK and it was reported dropped in the ocean when the guy was climbing back on a ship.

I heard this same thing. And wasn't the guy carrying film from more than one photographer which is why there are so few pictures of D-Day?

There is absolutely no controversy as to what happened to the Capa film. There may be misinformation out there about it, but what happened has all been documented and was a straightforward, albeit unfortunate event. The negatives got overheated in the drying process and the emulsion melted. Capa said that's what happened as did his editor. There is absolutely no evidence to the contrary. The technician's name was Dennis Banks and Capa threatened to quit if Banks got fired over the mistake. Capa himself carried his film back to London.

Yes it was a shame, yes history was lost, but I choose to be thankful for the eleven shots that survived. It's a miracle that they did considering the circumstances.