"The Longest Day"

Sabrejet

Throughout the tourist season, a mannequin of John Steele hangs from the church tower in Ste Mere Eglise, as seen in the movie. However...in reality, he actually hung up on the opposite side! For cinematic reasons the movie director had him hang on the side overlooking the square...and there he's been ever since!

How can an American not know the name John Steele? His name evokes images of an every-man's soldier. John Steele from Metropolis. Sounds like a hero straight out of a 1940s comic book.

Speaking of St. Mere Eglise, I love that they did the chapel's stained glass accordingly:

Sainte-M%C3%A8re-%C3%89glise_Window_1a.j

The late John Steele on a return visit to Ste. Mere Eglise back in the 60s. He became quite a celebrity because of that scene in the movie.

post-8022-0-80844600-1370706260.jpg

didnt Paul Anka sing the theme tune ????

Hey Littlebuddy, HHAAA, I'm always reminded of Gilligan, you know what the Captain always called him :lol:

But in answer to your question, no Paul Anka wrote it, but it was sung by Mitch Miller and the Gang, Mitch Miller was a well known musician, singer, conductor etc, and had for a few years a T.V. show called Sing Along With Mitch Miller 1961-1964.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Miller

The Mitch Miller Chorus sings the The Longest Day at End Credits.

I went with my dad to see the movie in 1962, I was six at the time. Only movie I ever remember going to that had an intermission. Still my favorite WWII movie.

I remember coming out of theater wanting to be in the 101st, finally made it in 1985. :)

I first seen it too in the theater, I seen the June 1969 re-release, re-released to commerate the 25th anniversary of D-Day, I was 7 years old, just about 8 years old, in August I would be 8. I still remember it quite vividly, in example, my Father and me got it after it started, he lingered too long at a Tavern across the street drinking a couple of beers and lost track of time :lol: I had a of course had my customary Coca Cola. By the time we got in and were seated, the Orne River Glider scene was JUUUST starting, we stayed after the movie was ended and stayed for the next showing, caught all the movie up to the Orne River scene with the Howard and his Oxs and Bucks, then we left.

Jim Wallwork, the last remaining British glider pilot from the Orne River landings passed away just last year, age 93. The landings were quite probably the most remarkable feat of aviation in WW2. There are markers in the field alongside what became "Pegasus Bridge" to show where they landed. If you stand alongside them and look over at the bridge you will get a sense of just how accurate their landings were. To use a WW2 US aviation term, "Right in the pickle barrel!" All the more remarkable when you consider it was done at night in enemy occupied territory. The movie captured it very well and those scenes were actually filmed at and around Pegasus Bridge. "Hold until relieved....hold until relieved...!"

BILL THE PATCH

i think he's the second from right, looks like him. kevin put your glasses on , then look. :P

i think he's the second from right, looks like him. kevin put your glasses on , then look. :P

Nice jab Bill, your probably right, but I think I'll wait for Ian to confirm :P BTW the theater I seen the re-release of The Longest Day was at the Ridgewood Theater, that Tavern we were in before hand was the old Mickey's Garden or Mickey's Little Garden, can't remember which one it was called, it was right across the street a few doors down from the old Mark's Place Army-Navy store, it closed sometime in the 80s.

Wallwork has a wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Wallwork

And a nice detailed artical on him.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/jim-wallwork-decorated-glider-pilot-who-took-part-in-dday-and-operation-market-garden-8471686.html

Sgt James Wallwork.

And here he is again.

post-34986-0-24583400-1370722649.jpg

So is he the second one on the left in that group photo of Glider pilot Sergeants?

Thanks for all the interest in my favorite movie ever.

How disappointing that it no longer can be seen on Netflix streaming.

By far the greatest cast ever assembled for a motion picture.

In today's $$$ the budget would be a billion bucks or better. (How's that for alliteration?)

Auggie

Here's an older Topic on The Longest Day that merits a relink, on post 29, posted by your's truely you will see a link to a site that shows in photos the majority the actors and actresses in the movie, there are a couple not with photo I think, and or a few of them with photos from other movies they were in, it's very good. I was suprised to see the late Richard Dawson's name listed, but damned if I spoted him, I recently borrowed The Longest Day a few days ago from my friend across the street to rewatch for the three hundredth time :lol: and did not see him.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/162147-longest-day-color-photos-from-press-book/

This is also my favorite war movie......without a doubt. But I really can't explain why. The uniforms were so funky.....in some cases. But regardless of that it still appeals to me and like sabre I watch it every time it comes on tv plus I have the DVD. I guess I like it because it tells the whole story or as much of it as they can in the time frame of the movie. I like the idea of the movie being made in the real locations.

One thing that struck me as being slightly "ironic" about what was an American-made movie was how they managed to get the British and German uniforms etc., so "right" and the American uniforms so "wrong"! When the movie was made, WW2 was closer to it time-wise than the VN War is to us today! Many cast members and the movie production people would have lived through it...some probably even served ( eg., Richard Todd who played Major Howard in the British "Pegasus Bridge" sequence was actually a para on D-Day!) Nevertheless, despite that, they seem to have been ill-served by their wardrobe department.

Trooper B.A.R

didnt Paul Anka sing the theme tune ????

Mitch Miller singers sang the title song. There were 2 albums that came out along with the movie. The dialog album (which is very good, and condenses the movie), and The Longest Day with Mitch Miller. Both excellent. Still have them.

You'll all no doubt recall the famous scene in the movie where the British paras on Pegasus Bridge were relieved by Lord Lovat's commandos (" Hold until relieved.") led by Piper Bill Millin? Well...he passed away just last year and last week they unveiled a statue of him in his memory, in Normandy.

R.I.P. Piper Millin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXMsp7N-YLY

One thing that struck me as being slightly "ironic" about what was an American-made movie was how they managed to get the British and German uniforms etc., so "right" and the American uniforms so "wrong"! When the movie was made, WW2 was closer to it time-wise than the VN War is to us today! Many cast members and the movie production people would have lived through it...some probably even served ( eg., Richard Todd who played Major Howard in the British "Pegasus Bridge" sequence was actually a para on D-Day!) Nevertheless, despite that, they seem to have been ill-served by their wardrobe department.

It always amazed me to think Richard Todd was at Pegasus Bridge for real. How strange it must have been to act it later. A bit like Donald Pleasance playing a POW in The Great Escape.

There were several notable movie actors who were "there" on the big day. For example, the late Charles Durning went ashore in the first wave on Omaha Beach. He won a Silver Star, Bronze Star and a Purple Heart.

post-8022-0-12959000-1371562251.jpg

Good point JS...at the very least they should have been considered "advisors". The casting of such movies is crucial. I can understand the draw of the "big names" of the period like John Wayne and Robert Mitchum...plus the "pretty boy" pop-stars of the day like Fabian and Anka to attract the kids, but some of the best performances were by the lesser known supporting actors. In terms of appearance, the actor cast as Ike was spookily like him! Just like the British actor who played "Monty" in "I was Monty's double"....a true story!

post-8022-0-92341200-1371570149.jpg

post-8022-0-21752200-1371570161.jpg