Army service forces

ReverendJake

Army Service Forces were basically logistics troops for the US Army, you know, supply, transportation, ordinance, etc. They were primarily the Service of Supply. The Army Service Forces were stateside only. Overseas, this function was taken over by the ETO Advanced Base, US Army Pacific and US Army Western Pacific units.

-Ski

Army Service Forces were basically logistics troops for the US Army, you know, supply, transportation, ordinance, etc. They were primarily the Service of Supply. The Army Service Forces were stateside only. Overseas, this function was taken over by the ETO Advanced Base, US Army Pacific and US Army Western Pacific units.

-Ski

Ski. Did see a photo once of a GI wearing the ASF patch in Germany in around April-May 1945, at least I think it was ASF, a GI in an M41 Field Jacket standing near a largish group of German POW in a Stockade, Have to think now where I saw it, and if I still have the book.

While the majority of Soldiers in units that fell under the Army Service Forces were based in the continental United States, there were some that were overseas. CBI made multi-piece leather versions of this patch even exist, reportedly worn in India by Military Railway Service personnel.

ReverendJake

The reason I ask is because I saw a ww2 enlisted shirt on EBay with the ASF patch on the left, no SSI on the right, and 5 or 6 overseas stripes. I'm not interested in buying it, but it seemed intriguing to me as I had always believed them to be a stateside unit.

There was (and still is) no requirement that any SSI be worn on the right sleeve.

G

The reason I ask is because I saw a ww2 enlisted shirt on EBay with the ASF patch on the left, no SSI on the right, and 5 or 6 overseas stripes. I'm not interested in buying it, but it seemed intriguing to me as I had always believed them to be a stateside unit.

See Vzemke's reply on overseas ASF units and the probable wear of ASF patches as organizational shoulder patches.

There are a gillizion cases where no right patch will be seen on a WWII post VE-VJ Day Officer's and or Enlistedman's uniform coat/shirt item.

Reason 1: the unit the patch is for on the left organizational side is the only unit the man ever served in, he never served in any other unit prior to his leaving the Army.

Reason 2: See Gil's reply.

Most, if not all of the Railway Operating Battalions in the CBI wore the ASF patch, as illustrated by the leather, CBI-made version posted by Siamundo. I am certain that there were other instances in WWII where the ASF patch was the left arm SSI for units outside the CONUS. Not a sexy SSI, but you wear what they tell you to wear, right?

Patch Johnson

Yep worn in the ETO, a officer of the ASF with Ike and then Major General Henry S. Aurand, Aurand was by the way a West Point Classmate of Eisenhower, both being members of the "Class The Stars Fell On" the class of 1915.

post-34986-0-15461600-1370725179.jpg

Wouldn't soldiers in the Special Services (morale troops) be under Army Service Forces? If so, they definitely served overseas.

Wouldn't soldiers in the Special Services (morale troops) be under Army Service Forces? If so, they definitely served overseas.

I would seem so, but no telling which patches they might of really worn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Services_(entertainment)

Army Service Forces were the Supply/Logistical Troops of the Army, the counterpart of Army Ground Forces, Army Air Forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Service_Forces

Uniforms of the Day

Just as a point of interest, Army Service personnel were also used on merchan shipping responsibilities. In the case of my uncle, he was on supply transport ships and brought POWs back from N. Africa, etc. The se guys did sometimes get to foreign ports, etc.and theater made insignia do exist from men in this command.

Here is another I have had for several years and always wondered if it might be theater made. Other than the pink color instead of red, there is just something odd about the embroidery that makes me think it could be made outside the US. I might be wrong though.

post-2744-0-56464800-1371010538.jpg