Dog Tags Styles and examples Part 2

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

A previous dog tag thread has gotten to be very long, so it's time to start a new one. The old one is at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7935-dog-tags-styles-and-examples-part-1/

In that thread was a link to a very helpful article on USMC dog tags. The website has been deleted, but I was able to find the pages though the Internet Archive and make copies to post here:

dt1.jpg

dt2.jpg

dt3.jpg

Bob Hudson

Here's a Navy officer's dog tags spanning the period from when he was an enlisted man in the 1930's to when he was commissioned in WWII and served through the 1950's.

2.jpg

2.jpg

2.jpg

2.jpg

Can anyone provide some information on the styles of chains used on WW2 dog tags? I know that beaded chains eventually became standard by late war, but any specs such as size of individual beads, compostion, length, etc. would be appreciated.

Bellumbill

Bob -

Always a good topic to re-establish! Here's and actual photo of a pre-WWII China Marine tag back and front - Best, Bill K.

Pre-WWIIChinaMarineDogTagback_zps4c27f5e:

Pre-WWIIChinaMarineDogTag_zps36344918.jp

bellasilva

I've posted this one before but it will always be my favorite. Paul H. Doll was a 37mm anti tank gun crewman and served with the 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division on Guadalcanal, and was later shot in the ankle (supposedly on Tarawa but I'm thinking it was Cape Gloucester). This tag's mate actually just popped up on ebay from a seller in Australia, unfortunately I didn't win it.

post-104906-0-06608000-1370491217.jpg

• 4 months later...

I don't know much about dog tags and picked this one up at a flea market yesterday. Is this a dependant dog tag with the serviceman's name below and the serviceman's son named at the top?

post-1389-0-42040200-1383590010.jpg

• 6 months later...
Lambert_BR

Hello Everyone

This is my first post ...
Would you like and start with this item that I bought a couple of years, came together with a Victory Medal with two battle clips, and Meuse-Argonne / Defensive Sector.

I always wanted to know about this soldier. Can anyone help me.

ebay146.jpg

ebay146.jpg

Regards

Lambert

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

Hi, sir i don't suppose you would be able to make a downloadable version of that chart, i have a friend's 12 yr old doughter who has gotten interested in collecting dogtags, she has her granddads tag from "Nam" but she is still learning about all the other variants out there..thanks -J.

• 5 months later...

My Great- Grandfather's USNR dog tag from WWI. He served aboard the DD-10 U.S.S. Paul Jones 1918-1919. Has the fingerprint on the back.

post-154757-0-66825200-1416006414.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have an oddball..my grandfathers..and I know it to be 100% legit..it has the first name first..seems it was done this way as well..it came from NRTC San Diego in 1952.

It says:

RUSSELL

L.

FORD

297-7I-11

O-USN-P

(notch to left, hole to right..he was another believer of the tooth notch thing, as was I...that was a pretty damn good rumor!!)

I have read some say that it HAD to be a replacement..(http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?88063-USMC-Dog-tags-1916-2002 , posts #10 and #16 have very similar format)

...but this is not the first example I have heard of like this..and seems it wasn't set in stone..as long as the info was legible..seemed good to go..

I really believe that for a few years in the early/mid '50's, and maybe from San Diego..the USN and USMC used first name, middle initial/name, last name format...

Thoughts?

I do have M1939 (yellow monel) Mr Morton T. Iler's dog tags, the Army s/n 15 048 777.

The Internet informs that he served in "29th Armored Division" during WWII, but there was no such a Division. Either he served in the 29th ID or it is a typo and he served in 20th AD.

How do you think?

• 3 years later...

I thought I would revive this interesting thread with a pair of Seabee dog tags I found. The first tag is a normal navy tag although it’s become blackened and almost impossible to read. The second tag must have been his replacement, I’ve never seen one like it before but it looks like a hand engraved tag with the thickness of a WW1 tag.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Early WW2 tags from the 244th CA (TD); a NY NG unit mobilized and stationed in the 3rd Chesapeake Sector (Ft Monroe and Ft Macon) until later 1942 when they were shipped to England and redesigned as a AAA unit.

7A9F19D3-E26B-4B89-B04E-1BD0B28FC90C.jpeg

2364D975-D740-4D5E-AD7E-856661A549D7.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I have a M-1924 round steel (sticks to magnet) disk style dog tag with two service numbers on it.  Records indicate that the service member entered the Army from the North Carolina National Guard on September 16, 1940.  He was likely issued the 8 digit service number at that point.  The 7 digit number would have been issued prior to June 30, 1940, while he was a member of the North Carolina National Guard.  From what I read, service members who already had a 7 digit serial in 1940 were allowed to keep it when the 8 digit serials were introduced in 1940.  Does anyone else have a dog tag with two service numbers on it or a theory as to why this tag has two service numbers?  Thanks.

431389361_7720060508004929_3195398390567108749_n.jpg

431608790_937159017775597_1602009264067824094_n.jpg