• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Experimental Helmet

Now for a little more show and tell. This is an early experimental nylon helmet, the crude interior, you can see the nylon strips, lead me to think it was hand made. The camo on the outside is painted and the liner is the standard removable webbing for a last model M-1 liner but the sweat band has been modified so it is not removable and dated 1966. The chin cup is standard late M-1 but the rest of the chin strap is unique. I found this at a flea market about 25 years ago, I ask the guy what it was and he looked at me like I was stupid and said an army helmet so I ask him how much and he said $2.00 so I had to give it to him.

post-55-1169005951.jpg post-55-1169006001.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

• 6 years later...

I saw a Stars and Stripes in like 77' showing troops testing the 'Fritz' helmet (Later Kevlar or Kpot) helmets which also had a painted camo, but I also saw a Soldier of Fortune magazine in like 83 with Central American troops with a helmet somewhat the same.

simon

• 1 year later...

Here's one I found here: http://gasmaskandrespirator.wikia.com/wiki/U.S._MCU_Series_Protective_Masks

post-153751-0-41901400-1415578933.png

The photo shows a man wearing an experimental model 29 gas mask and he also seems to be waring a helmet like this.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a thousand pictures!

"I read that in war bad things happen, Ain't that the ************* truth" -1st Lt Mike Scotti

Wow, this is a really old thread but, what a cool and rare painted experimental PASGT! Glad that someone brought this thread back to the top!!!

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

This has got me wondering, what was the point of painting them camouflage? They're just experimental and I think they're only testing the shape.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's a thousand pictures!

"I read that in war bad things happen, Ain't that the ************* truth" -1st Lt Mike Scotti

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.