WW2 Garrison Cap Question

XCR1961

I picked up a few Army Garrison caps this past weekend.

They appear to be WW2.

Two of the caps are top pleated and the other two are not top pleated.

The two that are top pleated are dated 1942 and 1944.

The two that are not top pleated are undated.

I was told that the unpleated top garrison caps are late WW2 or post WW2.

Is that correct?

Also, does anyone have a photo of a dated Marine Garrison Cap with label? A photo of the Label showing the spec and date?

Thanks

P-40Warhawk

The unpleated ones you mention could be M-1950 caps, but you'll get a better answer with photos.

The pleated caps were still being made post WWII.

Standard issue WW2 garrison caps have rounded/pleated crowns. However, these were supplemented by large numbers of privately purchased caps which tended to be square cut. This style was popular among the troops, especially airborne troops, because they could crush the crown into the distinctive fore and aft peaks. The issue ones were unlined apart from a khaki cotton sweatband. The private purchase ones were usually of better quality and fully lined with usually a leatherette sweatband. QM issue had dated labels but privately purchased examples just a size and lot #. By the 50s, the army adopted square cut caps as standard. These were lined with rayon and had leatherette sweatbands.

Thanks for the information. I will post pictures of the two unpleated ones later. Lined and have leather or leatherette band. So should be post war.

Here are pictures of the garrison caps.

No label on the inside.

The Infantry Garrison Cap has the name W. M. Jaeger on the inside leatherette/leather band.

post-96766-0-09003900-1370383477.jpg

post-96766-0-90546400-1370383492.jpg

post-96766-0-08041200-1370383504.jpg