ERE Room

dustin

Not one of mine! pararafts are near and dear to my heart arguably treated better than my children, they'd say.

Lol !!

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes one has to change the flavor in displays. Today I created a disply for my first generation SCR-578A Gibson Girl Radio. The SCR-578B is the much more common rectangular bag, this unit has two sepearte bags one for the radion and the other for the accessories.

post-56-0-79873700-1455484130.jpg

• 8 months later...

When you find a good deal on a mannequin and at the same time find a nice pair of USMC shoes you end up with a USMC VMSB pilot. This new representation is circa spring/summer 1944. It was not an uncommon occurance to see the use of US Army HBT coveralls being used by Navy and Marine Aviators so I went with that for clothing. He is using a commercial shoulder holster for the .38 revolver, M-592 back pad kit, comoflaged B-4 life vest w/assorted accruements. On the pistol belt is the lensatic compass, first aid pouch and 1219c knife configured from era images.

post-56-0-09214300-1476634239.jpg

• 1 month later...

And to complete the trifecta is USAAF. The added accessories may be slightly over the top for reality but is intended for display purposes.

attachicon.gifDSC_0232c.jpg

When I was doing USAAF re-enacting at airshows in the 80s and 90s, one thing everyone seemed to want to do was to complete a C1 vest. I never saw anyone actually fill one up correctly, though.

I love these displays of yours!

When I was doing USAAF re-enacting at airshows in the 80s and 90s, one thing everyone seemed to want to do was to complete a C1 vest. I never saw anyone actually fill one up correctly, though.

I love these displays of yours!

Volume-Two of my book is going to have a comprehensive developmental history on the C-1 Sustenance Vest detailing pre-production, mid production and late production models and the corresponding accessories. It will be at the end of the chapter detailing other USAAF individual emergency kits starting with the 1930's jungle kit, F-1 sustenance kit then through the B series parachute kits. So much unpublished stuff, I'm really stoked about it all!

• 1 month later...

Wow, now I know where all the stuff I dream about is! Thanks for sharing, Dustin. I've had fun getting 2/3 of the stuff to equip my C-1 vest, but scarcity and cost of the remaining items I need (first aid kit, fishing kit, flare gun/flares, 45 shells) are a challenge. So thanks for showing a hell of a museum quality collection to let us at least visually see all items together. Question: I have the orange cover Survival Manual. Was that distributed with/for the C-1 or just the white cover version?

Sorry I was late to the party Phfly, first off the C-1 vest is kind of entailed. Technically there are three generations of components, all slightly differing from each other making one giant pain in the rump to assemble correctly.

The manual you speak of is I assume the Jungle, Desert, Arctic, Ocean Emergencies? this manual was available for general distribution, but was authorized for inclusion in multi-person sustenance kits as part of revisions. Survival manual 21W (white cover version) was a condensation of the orange covered manual. upon its availability it was to be included in ALL emergency kits. 21W was technically the manual to be included in the C-1 vest, however the Emergencies manual could had made its way into one but not correct on a technical stand point.

Thanks. I see someone is selling the 21w white cover one for $80 plus something like $10 shipping, but that seems a little ridiculous. In your experience what would a realistic price be one a decent original. Thanks again for sharing your expertise and photos.