ERE Room

dustin

Jumpin Jack

Dustin, you have ventured to a place where few have dared to go. You are to be congratulated on a magnificent collection beauti-fully displayed! I have been collecting from what seems like the Civil War, but have only picked up bits and pieces of what you have gathered. Jack Angolia

Thanks for the gracious comments! I appreciate it. I wish I had more room to do more displays like this one.

Everything starts somewhere and I still have my very first piece of emergency equipment which I obtained so many years ago now. I kept it for sentimental value I suppose. What started this whole thing was one question..........What the heck goes in it?! Now I have a Yellow Room.

post-56-0-73586000-1434733248.jpg

post-56-0-89551900-1434733256.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just bought a well used M-592 Back pad. It is my first one and it looks like this one was heavily modified. It looks like they stitched a parachute harness back cushion onto the back of the M-592 kit. It also appears that some of the snaps were damaged and then repaired with blue canopy cover material.. The zipper is damaged at the bottom but it displays well.

post-2988-0-99536400-1443645472.jpg

post-2988-0-68828600-1443645473.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That is an interesting modification. Can you post some pics of the inside? I'm curious if anything in there received some mods. I have one with a similar mod with just the securing straps directly applied to the kit without actual back pad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Dustin,

Fantastic collection! Congrats!- what can you tell me about the Model A pararaft kit- when was it introduced and how does it fit the QAS setup please? AFAIK it came just before the PK-1 kit?

Thanks!

Steve

Steve, the PK-1 came first. As you might have noticed the overall design between the two are quite identical that is because the Model-A was so designed to copy the PK-1. The PK-1 was the standardized model complete with raft and accessories, the Model-A was procured just for the case. The intended purpose was to supply the Model-A to service activities until the PK-1 became available. Depots were to salvage the M-592 and AN series pararaft to supply the Model-A case. It's essentially an expedited PK-1 set up. However, neither were available until 1945. The Model-A was attached to all models of parachutes via a pararaft container, it was tied or sewn on acting like a pouch or pocket. The pararaft case was then secured in the container by a quick release connector for easy removal.

Ah, ok that makes sense. Thanks Dustin. Sorry for the questtions but USN aviator gear is still new and foreign to me. Im more familiar with USAAF kit.

So navy QAS packs were initially made up of USAAF AN-6510 trays modified with a snap-on extended rip cord and extended risers?

There are a couple of books on the subject I still need to but, in the meantime, thanks for your knowlege!

Your welcome!

I am not completely versed on the parachutes but no the AN-6510 was not involved per say. You first have to understand that the Bureau of Aeronautics had their own line of parachutes. Even though the standard Army types S-1, S-2 etc. were joint Army/Navy standardized the BuAer rarely used them. The QAS was merely a conversion of their standard seat type parachute. The basic principle behind its design is that first you have to understand that parachutes are issued to the aircraft not the individual and not all planes were universally used by the same aviators. When a standard seat type is stored in the aircraft it is adjusted to one user but if another gets assigned to the plane then it has to be adjusted again. The QAS design completely separates the chute from the harness. The Parachute itself is stored with the aircraft and the harnesses distributed and assigned to individuals. This aspect eliminated adjustment issues also the discomfort of having to pack around the complete assembly outside the aircraft. When a pilot gets in the aircraft all that is required is to make the connection from the pre adjusted harness with the parachute pack via two snap hooks to D rings. Upon issuance of the QAS in 1943 the accompanying technical orders for the packing inspection and maintenance describe in detail on how to convert the existing standard navy seat type parachute. However, this could be applied to the AN-6510 but again their actual use by navy aviation units was minimal at best. Another thing to consider is that the BuAer was a much better organization in efficiency and practicality than the USAAF. To many books make the BuAer look like they were copy cats and followed the USAAF but in reality when you look at the facts it is actually reversed. The USAAF or any of its equipment played zero in development of navy QAS parachutes to my knowledge. For more specific info I would pass that along to some of our more knowledgeable members.

WWII Parachutist

Both the Army & Navy had jointly standardized the AN-6510, beginning in February 1941, but it was generally only procured and employed by the AAF. As Dustin noted, the Navy had a very competent parachute section, which, early on, was superior to the AAF. The Navy largely ignored joint standardization when it came to parachutes and the AN system had little impact.
When the Navy switched over to the QAS, the majority were converted from the standard Navy seat type harness. This was largely the brainchild of Joshua Miller, who went on to make many contributions to parachute development.
In the same time frame, the AAF had an overstock of AN-6510s to the tune of over 100,000 assemblies. Due to the shortage of back types, many of these were converted to B-8s and QACs. Others made their way to the Navy and were converted to the QAS configuration. While never used on the scale of the navy QAS, modified AN-6510s are discussed and depicted in period documents, and seen also in period photographs and surviving examples.

Ah, thanks guys, brilliant info! OK, here's a red herring- how did the USMC fit into the USN equation? Were they primarily equipped with Navy gear or was there a more liberal mix of USN/ USAAF?

Great discussion.

BTW, is that you Josh??

The USMC was under cognizant of the USN meaning all flight gear would have been supplied by the US Navy. USN/USMC are essentially the same thing to wrap it up in a nut shell.

Hello,

when I read you, guys, I feel like I'm a kid at school, an very interesting school of course B)

I'm not a aviation guy but I learned something tonight, thanks for that !!

Regards, E