ERE Room

dustin

uniformcollector

Amazing! And that fact that it is displayed so clean and nice makes it even more interesting to look at!!! Great job!

Corpsmancollector

Dustin,

I feel that anything I write won't do your collection justice! This is one of the finest and most focused displays of collecting I have seen. Period. The attention to detail and the variety of items is mind boggling. It must have taken you many years to acquire the knowledge needed to build such a high class collection.

Absolutely fantastic, one of the best display topics on the Forum.

Will

Blood Chit collection. This a consolidated grouping of chits issued to American airmen with both theatre and US Govt. manufactured chits. The Last Hope is a fabulous reference with oodles of information. If you remove the text this what you would see. Chits fall under the catagory of Escape & Evasion which is another collecting field in its own right. Emergency Rescue Equipment and E&E over lap. E&E is evading the enemy but also the aids play a role in self preservation or "survival". Chits identify you as a friendly there by gaining an addtional aid from the locals to assure your safety, emergency kits provide sustenance and tools.

post-56-0-99189400-1370440276.jpg

These are the chits I have in the naval section. Maybe a little known fact is the naval aviators were issued a compliment of blood chits and E&E material as well when operations reached the Phillipine areas, China Sea etc.later in the war. The basis of issue was determined if the flight path was within 300 miles of the mainland china blood chits were distributed. The types of maps, chits and other aids were determined within a 300 mile radius from base of operations. A packet may inlcude maps from both the phillipines and china for example covering all directions.

The Chinese Nationalist flag chit pictured was issued to a crewmember of VPB-53 as with the CBI patch, The USN marked and serial numbered cotton flag was issued to a pilot of VF(N)-78

Distribution and the carrying of the American flag was common placeutilized under the same principle as arm bands and similiar flags used by the allies in Europe. As a side note I often see on the forum "unsung heros" being used I like to look at it as "under studied" and in this case its the CBI theater. My research in air sea rescue, escape & evasion and emergency rescue equipment has brought me deep into this theater and it is fascinating!!! I highly suggest individuals take the effort to better understand this theater of operations....it has it all !

post-56-0-02929400-1370441280.jpg

Dustin,

I feel that anything I write won't do your collection justice! This is one of the finest and most focused displays of collecting I have seen. Period. The attention to detail and the variety of items is mind boggling. It must have taken you many years to acquire the knowledge needed to build such a high class collection.

Absolutely fantastic, one of the best display topics on the Forum.

Will

To Will and others, thanks for the generous comments its greatly appreciated!!

And yes it has taken many years to acquire both the knowledge and items...many hours with my rump planted in libraries and archives. Researching is a pain but rewarding. Probably the the best two words that run through my mind at least is mother ****** this is after spending a good part of the day sifting through hundreds and hundreds of pages and turn up nothing!! but you have to follow every lead. Indiana Jones said it best " X never ever marks the spot" meaning the answers one seeks is never in one place.

This is a cool item I thought I wold share , an E-4 Sustenance Kit. It includes the Unmodified M1942 stove , these have the wheel for the burner adjustment. The lid doubles as a frying pan, a funnel pot I guess for making funnel cake while stranded......why be miserable! It is missing a non-funnel pot. A draw string bag which houses the entire unit. The stove goes in side the can acting as a shroud. Also there is the funnel for fuel, clap for moving hot pots and a clap/handle for a fuel bag that is also missing. Intended to be stored aboard the aircraft operating over rugged terrain. I was pleased to obtain this item even though it is missing a couple pieces.

post-56-0-99295200-1370476132.jpg

willysmb44

That thudding sound you heard in the distance was my jaw hitting the floor while looking through the photos...

WOW!

Well, I just saw this thread a few minutes ago and the only thing I can write is ... wouahou :blink:

I've seen some rescue items in 30 years of collecting but never so much in only one room ... thanks for sharing B)

• 2 weeks later...
American Heritage

really cool. I enjoyed looking at your amazing collection. And to think, my wife thinks that I'm crazy!! Wait till she sees THIS!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
agate hunter

I agree with everyone else, absolutely fantastic collection. I love how everyone has their own interests in this hobby, and if one pursues those interests, then eventually we all can have great focused museum quality displays such as yourself. Well done.

Thanks for all the kind comments !

You never have a enough room so now I am invading the ceiling by hanging the Gibson Girl kite and C-2 raft sail with bridge as would look applied to the raft. The kite makes for a sweet lamp shade

post-56-0-40209200-1375060518.jpg

• 1 month later...