USMC WWII "Frogskin" Covers - Rethinking The Norm

pump 150

Marc,

The pattern on all WWII US camouflage was the same repeating pattern you mentioned in your earlier post. Aside from some minor differences in the shapes of the spots due to the dying and printing process used back then, the shapes are always in the same general position and relationship to one another.

As posted above, was wondering if anyone has a frogskin USMC cover with slits in the crown but none in the flaps (WWII not 53 model). If so please post them up also. Would like to see some good photos of the center as well as edge stitching if possible. Seems to be some issues with these as well and wanted to get some good overall opinions on those if WWII produced.

Thanks

I've got one with slits in the crown and none in the flaps and to be honest it's identical to my non slit one that came from a 2nd div Guy.

Rich

As posted above, was wondering if anyone has a frogskin USMC cover with slits in the crown but none in the flaps (WWII not 53 model). If so please post them up also. Would like to see some good photos of the center as well as edge stitching if possible. Seems to be some issues with these as well and wanted to get some good overall opinions on those if WWII produced.

Thanks

Some shots of my cover with slits without buttonholes in the flaps.

post-467-0-83985000-1371998890.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The search continues for clear early use of the no slit covers. Could very well never know for sure until some documentation shows up at some point. Photos will never replace documents, but is a good hunt.

Does anyone have documentation supporting a change to a "new improved" camo pattern? I have two spec slitted covers and will say that they both are of a lighter shade than my no slit covers, matching those posted above. Is there any paperwork to be found supporting a direct change of printing the pattern or could the shades possibly just have darkened over time of production?

Thought I had a couple more, but just to show how very hard to tell for sure, here are two more high quality photos.

A dog handler on Peleliu with what sure looks like a no slit cover. Until the full size version is found.

post-98601-0-44463600-1373148382.jpg

post-98601-0-61710300-1373148409.jpg

Saipan June 1944 - very downsized. Was just getting ready to post this one as a no slit, but he has the center of the cover worn way back on the helmet and the slits almost run vertical

post-98601-0-12054400-1373150155.jpg

post-98601-0-55661700-1373150174.jpg

scottwbncfc

Well, I would think that it is not as obscure a question as say the debate over SB helmets used on D-Day or the ongoing debate over hand-painted 29th division helmet insignias vs. decals during the war. If they were a first production, there should be both photos and videos that can be located. I have a helmet that is ID'ed to an Iwo JIma vet and the camo cover is the so-called first pattern. I, for one, will be searching for evidence!

Cheers,

Mike

I tend to agree!

Also would love to have a look at the Iwo Jima lid !

Many thanks

-s

Scott, I would also agree. But every high quality photo of these in early use so far has the slits. The earliest I have found of the no slit covers to date is Peleliu. Still looking for some earlier.

Would also enjoy seeing Theorywolfs helmet.

From the Marine Corps History Division. On the way into Tarawa Nov. 1943 - all have slits

post-98601-0-57762900-1373853158.jpg

post-98601-0-86514000-1373853178.jpg

Here is another one just as a reference. Well known photo of USMC Combat Correspondent Ssgt Fredrico Claveria giving candy to a child on Tinian July-August 1944.

From the USMC History Division - at full size you can make out the closed edge stitching of the "greenside" as well as the foliage slit in the exposed flap.

post-98601-0-63675900-1373855828.jpg

post-98601-0-79969400-1373855861.jpg

Here it is! Named to a well-known Marine at Iwo Jima in the liner webbing. Family support the claim that the helmet was with their father at Iwo Jima.

Cheers,

Mike

post-576-0-15362000-1374457373.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Found a good quality photo of the one posted by Driver back on page 3 post#43. Very good picture of a no slit cover on Iwo Jima.

Also just noticed that the above photo of the dog handler on Peleliu is shown on page 77 of Mark Reynosa's M-1 book and described as a no slit.

post-98601-0-01405500-1375927461.jpg

• 1 month later...

The search continues for clear early use of the no slit covers. Could very well never know for sure until some documentation shows up at some point. Photos will never replace documents, but is a good hunt.

Does anyone have documentation supporting a change to a "new improved" camo pattern? I have two spec slitted covers and will say that they both are of a lighter shade than my no slit covers, matching those posted above. Is there any paperwork to be found supporting a direct change of printing the pattern or could the shades possibly just have darkened over time of production?

Thought I had a couple more, but just to show how very hard to tell for sure, here are two more high quality photos.

A dog handler on Peleliu with what sure looks like a no slit cover. Until the full size version is found.

This actually looks like it has slits to me:

• 1 month later...

With the vet helmets shown from Saipan, this is the best photo I have found from the Marianas Campaign of a "First Model". Found quite a few nice photos over the last couple months from earlier campaigns, but the summer of '44 is still the soonest I've seen the First Model in use to date.

Dated July 21, 1944....D-Day Guam

While the two marines standing have spec slit made covers, the marine peeking at the photographer has a "First Model" from what I can tell.

post-98601-0-29657400-1383539052.jpg

post-98601-0-99819900-1383539077.jpg

With full sun and that fold in the front I would think the front slit would "pop" if there, so I'm thinking it's a First Model unless anyone can tell different

post-98601-0-74600100-1383539851.jpg