Afghan Items

mondo_fondo

mondo_fondo

The Soviet helmet was Supposedly brought back by a guy that was in the first Cavalry in the Korengal. I don't know if that is true.

The Bulgarian one was brought back by a member of the Indiana National Guard.

The Austrian One was brought back buy an east coast Seal Team Member.

The Patches are just ones I picked up at a gun show.

post-118766-0-74600900-1370218230.jpg

post-118766-0-68286300-1370218247.jpg

post-118766-0-49076300-1370218265.jpg

post-118766-0-85638700-1370218286.jpg

mondo_fondo

Small Vet Grouping I picked up from him. He was near the Pakistan border back in 2002 with an Army Reserve Unit. That is an ANA Bayonet.

post-118766-0-58605300-1370218466.jpg

post-118766-0-31457700-1370218481.jpg

The WWI helmets were in abundance at Bagram in 2002 and they were used through the 1960s by the Royal Afghan Army. Very nice items, thanks for showing them. Scott

Great stuff

Lots of Soviet helmets left there and also many were showing up in the Paki markets and shops after Russia left Afghanistan.I use to have belts,helmets,uniforms,tankers helmets,all types of gear,Ak,AKM mags,etc a guy who flew for the state deptment would bring back from the Paki markets and bazaars

• 2 weeks later...
airborne1968

While anyone can find Russian gear for sale on most surplus sites, I made the effort to obtain all my Russian gear while in AFG. After three tours I managed to pick up the following:

Helmet (not the one pictured), suspenders, 2 types of belts and buckles, mess kit, shovel, canteen and cover, pack, mug, and spoon

post-4228-0-51530700-1371184336.jpg

• 5 months later...
Pogranichnik92

I'm not meaning to start any issues, but the helmet in your photo does not look Soviet. That sort paint scheme is pretty rarely (if ever) seen on Soviet helmets, it looks more like a Czech one. Do you have a photo of the liner?

In case you plan on displaying this set, you also need to get rid of the left-hand AK pouch (nearest the belt buckle) and replace it with a two-cell grenade pouch. Also, the canteen and e-tool needs to be switched and the bayonet needs to be the closest item to the buckle. B) .

I'm not meaning to start any issues, but the helmet in your photo does not look Soviet. That sort paint scheme is pretty rarely (if ever) seen on Soviet helmets, it looks more like a Czech one. Do you have a photo of the liner?

I bet it's the flash. But inside shots would indeed confirm.

SergeantMajorGray

In case you plan on displaying this set, you also need to get rid of the left-hand AK pouch (nearest the belt buckle) and replace it with a two-cell grenade pouch. Also, the canteen and e-tool needs to be switched and the bayonet needs to be the closest item to the buckle. B) .

He said his soviet helmet is not the one pictured.

• 3 weeks later...

While anyone can find Russian gear for sale on most surplus sites, I made the effort to obtain all my Russian gear while in AFG. After three tours I managed to pick up the following:

Helmet (not the one pictured), suspenders, 2 types of belts and buckles, mess kit, shovel, canteen and cover, pack, mug, and spoon

Hello, I am an soviet military collector, If you can get a picture of the helmet liner that would be helpful. The suspenders are of the early type(late 40s-early 60s) somewhat hard to find, the belt is also of early type. The shovel cover is also interesting and I think it too also be of the early type. The canteen and mess kit both have dates on them, do you know what the dates are? The pack is called a vesh meshok, yours is of the late 70s-80s type. The second belt(the one not on the web set) is a work belt. The bayonet on the belt is Romanian. The mug and spoon go in the mess kit and that was there mess gear(they had a spoon and for a knife they used the bayonet, they also sometimes has a rag to put in the mess kit as well). The 2 4 cell mag pouches look to be Bulgarian but I am not sure if you could get a better picture I would know for sure. The 4 cell pouch was used with the AK-74 and the 3 cell used with the AKM. They only carried one pouch on the belt, the order that everything went on the belt was:

buckle=bayonet=grenade pouch=canteen=shovel=mag pouch

The hat was called the panama. Cant tell what the medals are. That is a very nice collection.