Flight Jackets - A-2, B-10, B-15

Lignemaginot

post-384-1169003543.jpg

Here's my small collection of original WWII flight jackets, all bought to fit me, so large:

Three A-2, all size 46, Perry, Star, and contract W535-ac-27753.

The Perry (with a flying 8-balls patch) I've seen on a web site called "History Preservation Associates (or something like that) - I've had the jacket for about 5 years, so I don't know when they took the picture.

B-10: both size 44, one by Paul Reed Company, the other by H. Bernstein.

B-15A: size 44 by Superior Togs Company.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for information on the attached photo of an A2 jacket with an enema bottle with wings painted on the back. It is named "HI Enema" and the pilot's name is E.J.Becker. The front has a leatehr 14AF patch on the right breast.

post-388-1170367973.jpg

post-388-1170367986.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This A-2 is named to a waist gunner on the B-24 Ole' Irish. I have an original crew photo along with history, etc. I thought the single bomb on its side was great. Obviously indicating the Ploesti Raid.

post-133-1171500827.jpg

• 10 months later...

Here's a Stagg B-10 flight jacket I found last week in a closet full of ladies clothes at an estate sale. These have the poplin shell, alpaca lining, mouton (lamb's wool) collar and wool knit cuffs. The collar, lining and shell on this one were all in great shape, but those wool cuffs are a favorite on the moth's menu and after they take on too many bits of just the right yarn everything can unravel. This one is marked sized 42 which means it has an actual chest measurement of about 47 inches (you typically want a jacket sized 4-6 inches larger than your chest measurement). These were first produced in 1943 but not issued until early 1944 and apparently were one of the favorite flight jackets. A modern day reproduction will sell for perhaps $450 while excellent condition originals can go for $1,000 or more. History Preservation Associates has a good history of the B-10 at http://historypreservation.com/hpassociate...php?uniqnum=197

b10.jpg

b10label.jpg

b10collar.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Here is a variation of the B-15 flight jacket, the B-15A, which featured the two leather triangles on the front to clip the oxygen hose to, as well as modifications to the A-11A trousers that went with the jacket. Here is an excerpt from a book about the B-15 jacket:

".... the intermediate flying B-15 jacket and A-11 trousers were standardized on 7 April 1944 to replace their predecessors and, eventually, all shearling suits. Based on the B-11/A-10, they included a number of improvements including a more roomy cut for increased freedom of movement. Wool-backer, double-faced 1/2 in. alpaca pile now lined the garments.

The dark OD boat cloth jacket had a full-colour AAF insignia printed on the left shoulder. Its wool knit wristlets and waist band were dark OD. The dark brown mouton-faced collar was larger and secured by a mouton-lined tab. On its chest were non-flapped, angled, internal slash pockets; there was a pencil pocket on the left upper sleeve, and a large inside chest pocket.

The trousers had internal, snap-secured, flapped front thigh and shin pockets on both legs plus a bail-out bottle pocket on the left upper thigh. Full-length zippered openings installed on the outer seams. These were fitted with a quick exit feature. They were made limited standard on 4 November 1944.

Additional refinements were made on the intermediate flying B-15A jacket and A-11A trousers standardized on 4 November 1944. These included small triangular, brown leather tabs on the jackets left and right chest on which to clip an oxygen hose, radio cord retaining strap on the left lower torso, a square bellows pocket on the left thigh to contain the bail-out oxygen's bottle hose, and the bail-out bottle's leg pocket was moved up 3 in. to prevent a knee injury during parachute landing.

These suits were intended for a temperature range of 14F to 50F and were also worn over the F-3/F-3A electric suits. They were made limited standard on 21 May 1945, the same date the intermediate flying B-15B jacket and A-11B trousers were standardized. Its major modification was a rayon lining for cleanliness and easier donning.

The most important aspect of the alpaca-lined suits was that they were developed in conjunction with new electric heated suits. Used in combination, or separately, they provided adequate protection from the cold, increased freedom of movement, and were comparatively light in weight."

- Jeff

post-1090-1202183880.jpg

post-1090-1202183925.jpg

post-1090-1202183945.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hi! My grandfather was in Ole Irish, Chester Moore, and I'd be very interested in contacting you by email or phone if I may. He's in the picture you have on here. He was the top turret gunner. Thanks!

jg

This A-2 is named to a waist gunner on the B-24 Ole' Irish. I have an original crew photo along with history, etc. I thought the single bomb on its side was great. Obviously indicating the Ploesti Raid.

post-133-1171500827.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if the Ole Irish pic person that posted that I replied to before would allow me to contact regarding the jacket and info?

Thanks!