Incountry made Vietnam war era 254th Helicopter Ambulance patch

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Good Sunday afternoon all,

I've been meaning to get this posted for awhile,so here goes!For those fellow patch peeps that like their stuff nice and salty,I present this 254th Dustoff piece from my collection for your inspection.This definitely has the "been there' look to it!

The 254th arrived in Vietnam early to help fetch our wounded troops from the battlefield.To say that these heroes are brave is an understatement.

I was shocked at the number of KIA's I found at the "Together We Served" website.I will include a link to the site here:

http://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=PublicUnitProfile&type=Unit&ID=67885

Here is a little history about the unit that I found online:

In November 1965, the 254th Medical Detachment (Helicopter Ambulance) also arrived at Tan Son Nhut Airport, Saigon. The two ships that had sailed from Tacoma, Washington, with all the 254th's equipment, reached the South Vietnamese coast on 29 October but could not be unloaded until mid-January because of the congestion in the ports. Until then some of the 254th's pilots worked with the 283d and 57th. The 254th declared itself operational on 1 February at Long Binh with the primary mission of direct support for the 173d Airborne Brigade on its sweep operations in III Corps Zone. The 57th and 283d supported the other allied units in the sector.

My hats off to all the brave men who flew into the hot LZ's so that our troops could get medical treatment,displaying unselfish courage and commitment to the mission.

This patch is part of a named group that I will be posting in the "Groupings" section soon.

post-13386-0-91396200-1370201045.jpg

Bill Scott

That is one beautiful ultra high quality hand made 254th Dust Off.Thanks for showing it.Scotty

Patchcollector

That is one beautiful ultra high quality hand made 254th Dust Off.Thanks for showing it.Scotty

Thank you Bill;that means alot coming from you :):blush:

Patchcollector

Great looking patch.Those Dust Off ones are beautiful.

Thanks man!You know I have noticed that the Medical related unit patches that were incountry made do seem to be of very high quality,usually displaying beautiful designs.

Patchcollector

Hi all,

I was looking online and found this info about a 54th unit member,who is the most decorated living soldier:

General Patrick H. Brady

Major General Brady spent over 34 years in the Army serving in stations all over the world. He was in Berlin during the building of the wall and returned in 1989 when it was torn down. He served in the Dominican Republic during that conflict, in Korea as commander of the troops at the Joint Security area of the DMZ and for 2 years in Vietnam as a helicopter ambulance pilot. He has eight years’ service with America’s citizen soldiers, our Reserve Components, and is a former Chief of Army Public Affairs.

While in Vietnam he was awarded the Medal of Honor for a series of rescues during which he used 3 helicopters to rescue over 60 wounded. At the end of the day his aircraft had over 400 holes in them from enemy fire and mines. In two tours in Vietnam he flew over 2500 combat missions and rescued over 5000 wounded. He developed foul weather and tactical techniques for air ambulance rescue never before executed in combat for which he is identified in the Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War and other books as the top helicopter pilot in that war. Some pundits recognize him as the most decorated living veteran.

Gen. Brady is the only living Army veteran of Vietnam to hold both the Medal of Honor and the Distinguished Service Cross, our nation's second highest award. His other awards include two Distinguished Service Medals; the Defense Superior Service Medal; the Legion of Merit; six Distinguished Flying Crosses; two Bronze Stars, one for valor; the Purple Heart and 53 Air Medals, one for valor. He is a member of both the Army Aviation and Dust Off Halls of Fame

He recently published with his daughter Meghan a book, Dead Men Flying, which covers his experiences with the origin and execution of Aero Medical evacuation in Viet Nam, called Dust Off, the greatest battlefield life saver in history.

General Brady has a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Seattle University and an MBA from Notre Dame University.

General Brady and his wife Nancy had 6 children, Shaun, Casey, Kelly, Shannon, Terry, and Meghan, a veteran of the war in Iraq.

Here is his MOH info:

Organization: U.S. Army

Company: 54th Medical Detachment

Division: 67th Medical Group, 44th Medical Brigade

Born: 1 October 1936, Philip, S. Dak.

Departed: No

Entered Service At: Seattle, Wash.

G.O. Number:

Date of Issue: 10/09/1969

Accredited To: Seattle, WA

Place / Date: Near Chu Lai, Republic of Vietnam, 6 January 1968

Citation

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty, Maj. Brady distinguished himself while serving in the Republic of Vietnam commanding a UH-1H ambulance helicopter, volunteered to rescue wounded men from a site in enemy held territory which was reported to be heavily defended and to be blanketed by fog. To reach the site he descended through heavy fog and smoke and hovered slowly along a valley trail, turning his ship sideward to blow away the fog with the backwash from his rotor blades. Despite the unchallenged, close-range enemy fire, he found the dangerously small site, where he successfully landed and evacuated 2 badly wounded South Vietnamese soldiers. He was then called to another area completely covered by dense fog where American casualties lay only 50 meters from the enemy. Two aircraft had previously been shot down and others had made unsuccessful attempts to reach this site earlier in the day. With unmatched skill and extraordinary courage, Maj. Brady made 4 flights to this embattled landing zone and successfully rescued all the wounded. On his third mission of the day Maj. Brady once again landed at a site surrounded by the enemy. The friendly ground force, pinned down by enemy fire, had been unable to reach and secure the landing zone. Although his aircraft had been badly damaged and his controls partially shot away during his initial entry into this area, he returned minutes later and rescued the remaining injured. Shortly thereafter, obtaining a replacement aircraft, Maj. Brady was requested to land in an enemy minefield where a platoon of American soldiers was trapped. A mine detonated near his helicopter, wounding 2 crewmembers and damaging his ship. In spite of this, he managed to fly 6 severely injured patients to medical aid. Throughout that day Maj. Brady utilized 3 helicopters to evacuate a total of 51 seriously wounded men, many of whom would have perished without prompt medical treatment. Maj. Brady's bravery was in the highest traditions of the military service and reflects great credit upon himself and the U.S. Army.

Gen. Brady has an EXCELLENT website,and has co-authored a book with his daughter entitled "Dead Men Flying"

which tells about Dustoff ops in Vietnam.Here is a link to his website:

http://generalbrady.com/Home_Page.php

His book can be ordered from his website,an amazing bargain at 13.00 for an autographed Hardcover edition!!

It looks to be a great read,I just ordered one for my library.

His website also contains some great wartime photos,just go to the "Golden Winged 54th" link at the left on his website.

I'm including some photos of Gen. Brady here:

post-13386-0-59011100-1370293339.jpg

post-13386-0-57698000-1370293345.jpg

Patchcollector

Here is an interesting flier that our forces in Vietnam would drop telling the

NVA/VC not to shoot at our Dustoff birds.I doubt that they heeded the message.

According to a website I found,all the Dustoff Helos in Nam were unarmed except for the 1st Cav's.

post-13386-0-45905000-1370622553.jpg

Patchcollector

I just received my hardcover,personalized and signed copy of MOH winner General Bradys' book about his Vietnam Dustoff expereiences,"Dead Men Flying" for 13 bucks plus 5 for shipping!I can't wait to dig into it.I'll post a review in the Book section to let you all know how it is.

firefighter

According to a website I found,all the Dustoff Helos in Nam were unarmed except for the 1st Cav's.

Cool leaflet.I've never seen that one before.Look's like it's dated 7-71?

Patchcollector

Cool leaflet.I've never seen that one before.Look's like it's dated 7-71?

Yes it is cool,and yes,it is new to me too.All the leaflets that I had seen prior to this one were our "Propaganda" ones.

Like you,I'm guessing that the date is from 1971 from the numbers on the lower right hand part of the leaflet.

• 1 year later...

Yes it is cool,and yes,it is new to me too.All the leaflets that I had seen prior to this one were our "Propaganda" ones.

Like you,I'm guessing that the date is from 1971 from the numbers on the lower right hand part of the leaflet.

The leaflet was prepared in 1971 by the 7th PSYOP Battalion. That same image was used a few times, including by Australian troops in Vietnam.

• 1 year later...
Patchcollector

I was going through the photo archive I keep on my hard drive and FINALLY found an eBay pic of a part of the group that my originally posted patch belonged too.Someone else won this part but I kept the photo so that I would have the name to go with my patch.

So,now I know that the patch that I posted here in posts 1 & 2 originally belonged to a Soldier named Halstead. :)

post-13386-0-53421100-1459721106.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have the flight helmet and bag from this guy. CPT Herbert L. Halstead served with the 254 Med Det during 1966-67. He died after Vietnam on July 21, 2000.

Apart from his flying duties he served as the "awards and decorations" officer for the unit. His signature can be seen on many 254th documents and citations available through Fold3. I had them all printed and bound to keep with the helmet. It was an extraordinary unit filled with some real heroes. I'm still bummed I didn't win any of the auctions for his uniforms or loose patches. They all went for big money and I got the helmet for what I considered to be a great price given its excellent provenance and combat usage. A French guy who happens to be a member here did win one of the auctions for a flight suit and sateen shirt and offered them to me for a price I felt was too steep being that they were not unit patched. I keep looking to see if one of the patched jackets pop up on ebay again.

Patchcollector

Yes the bidding was fierce for his patches.I felt blessed just to get the incountry made one.I also tried for the stuff in post # 18 but was outbid.Not sure who ended up with that,hopefully a Forum member.Keep scanning eBay you never know one of his jackets may just pop up their again sometime.If you can post his helmet and bag I would be interested to see it.