Korean War vintage US Marine Corps VMF 115 squadron patch

Siamundo

I wasn't for sure whether to post this as a new topic or add it to an earlier thread on rare Korean War patches, but I recently picked this nice bullion squadron patch from VMF 115 and was quite happy to find it. It was a little shop I only visit maybe once or twice a year because it is about a five hour drive for me.

post-2744-0-00939900-1370193938.jpg

Patches made by that "New Itami Studio" are some of the best made every. Their bullion work was amazing. I recall some other threads discussing this maker.

Bill Scott

I might be mistaken but I had one of these a year ago and I think its not VMF-115.When I first got it I thought it was as you did that it was VMF-115.I was told that it was in fact not a fighter squadron insignia but the insignia for the USS Bairoko a famous Korean War Carrier CVE-115.VMF-115 in Korea was nicknamed Able Eagles not black panthers or black cats.The central theme of the insignia is a USS Carrier with a missle flying around it not an airplane.Its still as rare as they come I think mine went for almost 500.00.

Definitely VMF-115. The patch dates from at least 1951 and was used before the "Able Eagles" nickname adapted in April, 1952. Prior to that, the squadron was based at Itami and I think the panther represents the F9F Panther which VMF-115 became the first all Panther squadron in the USMC. This info is from the official VMFA-115 history published by the USMC:

"On 14March1951 the squadrons commanding officer submitted for approval a new design, indicating the 1944 insignia was"obsolete."For the first time, an eagle (continued in various forms to the present day) was included. This new emblem was "intended to represent the amphibious capabilities of this fighter squadron. Capable of operating either from carrier or land bases as represented by beach, its striking power,which is symbolized by the rocket, has no geographic limitation."

There is a picture of the insignia included in the book. The insignia is pictured in Appendix E. here's the link to the PDF of the book:

https://www.mcu.usmc.mil/historydivision/Pages/Staff/Publication%20PDFs/A%20History%20Of%20Marine%20Fighter%20Attack%20Squadron%20115.pdf

Awesome patch by the way. i have never seen one with white stitching around the EGA design. all the ones that I have seen are usually blue. Jeffro

Bill Scott

Jeffro thats why this forum is so important whe all learn every day.I will tell the Navy expert that misinformed me he was mistaken.Thanks from an old fart.Scotty

Thank you so much for all of your kind words and for the great information. I was really tickled when I found this to say the least. As for your comment Jeffro about the center thread, it is actually a very very pale blue color although it does appear to be white. In the areas around the bullion work the color is a little more blue than the outer open areas of the circle. The patch appears to have been worn so I don't know if it is from sun fading or laundering.

• 7 years later...