U.S. Army Air Forces Field Tester. How old and what exactly did it test?

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I purchased this at an estate auction a few years ago and it has been sitting in the bottom of my closet. So, I figured I would put it on the forum to see if I can get any information about it. I am not very good with the camera so I will write what the the label says, AUTOSYN INSTRUMENT FIELD TESTER U.S. ARMY AIR FORCES A.A.F. PT. NO. 43G18624 MFGRS. PT. NO. I.T. 2016 HAMMETT ELECTRIC MFG. CO. The tester is made of wood and is 10" tall by 6" wide. The black face might be bakelite, but i am not sure. On the inside it says, Instrument is as delicate as an expensive watch treat with care. Any ideas on what this was used for and what era it is from. I appreciate any information. Thanks

post-1412-1206839809.jpgpost-1412-1206839839.jpg

Steindaddie

It is an autosynchronous tester and can be used for testing a variety of aircraft intruments. Does the gauge on this tester read from zero to 360? If so, it was most likely used for checking a gyrocompass or other heading system. "Autosyn" is a trade name for the autosynchronous principle which is used by this type of device for measuring.

Will

Manchu Warrior
It is an autosynchronous tester and can be used for testing a variety of aircraft intruments. Does the gauge on this tester read from zero to 360? If so, it was most likely used for checking a gyrocompass or other heading system. "Autosyn" is a trade name for the autosynchronous principle which is used by this type of device for measuring.

Will

The gauge does read from 0 to 360 and thanks for the information.