American Ex-Prisoners of War (est. 1942)

KevinBeyer

KevinBeyer

axpowlogo.jpg

AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR (AXPW)

Established on April 14, 1942, the American Ex-Prisoners of War is a not-for-profit, Congressionally-chartered veterans’ service organization advocating for former prisoners of war and their families.

Having its origins as the Bataan Relief Organization (BRO), this organization changed its name in 1945, according to their history, so that "veterans from the European Theater would realize that they were eligible for membership." It has remained the AEPW ever since.

For an in depth history of this Veterans Organization, please visit their website's History page.

Kevin

KevinBeyer

I have recently added a reunion pin for the AXPW to my collection. It consists of a pin which bears the logo of the organization and has two holes at its bottom where date bars are hung below. The date bars represent different years of attendance for the organization's National Convention.

The pin that I have had 13 bars representing dates ranging from 1984 through 1998.

AmericaExPrisonersOfWar.jpg

Wow! I've never seen one of those before! One of my favorite references (prior to the internet days!) was my copy of the association's membership roster. I had no idea there were than may POWs out there...

• 9 months later...

I did a little digging into the original owner of this pin. According to the EX-POW Bulletin announcing his passing: "He was a member of a B-17 crew from the 8th Air Force famous 303rd Group, 346th Sq. Shot down on 11/26/1944. And survived Stalag Luft IV." He enlisted when he was 27 and died at the age of 94.