Different m1, no seam/rim

thetrenchman1918

thetrenchman1918

I found this helmet this morning. It does not have a rim, it is just folded over and the bails are than just attached to the folded over metal

The bails on this helmet are fixed but appear to stick out more than a regular fixed bail, any input is appreciated thank you

I assume this is an early war helmet but I do not know.

PS I am on vacation and can only take crappy photos so I apologize post-105825-0-42359500-1370099198.jpg

sgtdorango

How about an overall shot of the outside of the helmet? Is there corking material? What does the chinstrap hardware look like?......mike

thetrenchman1918

I can't take another photo right now, but the helmet has one ww2 sewn on chinstrap, the other is missing. finish is repainted

hawkdriver

Interesting that the bails are tack welded directly to the edging. Doesn't seem very secure place to tack weld.

Somebody's poor attempt at a rebuild and not knowing how and where to do it right?

GeneralCheese

I saw one of these on eBay before, so there is more than one in existence. Does it have the same type of chinstrap as an M1917A1 has? If it does, it's likely this is a prototype M1 that was made before the war.

thetrenchman1918

Two questions, could some one post a photo of m1917a1 chin straps so I could compare them also could some one provide info on Spanish versions, however I do not think a copy would incorporate a more fragile bail than the origanal

PS shape is defiantly m1 not a French m51

thetrenchman1918

post-105825-0-56193700-1370137088.jpg

See how fragile bails are?

If this was a prototype is it possible it was just used as another M1 (reason for repaint)

There was a country that cloned the M-1 with the rolled rim. As BOLO stated, it may have been Spain. HOWEVER, The U.S. did try a rolled edge in some production prototypes so....

thetrenchman1918

From what I can find Spain dissent use an m1 clone till the eighths, and it looks different (rolled edge is different as is chin strap)

If you want to acquaint yourself with the various M1 clones which were made, look here. The list of countries is alphabetical so scroll down to pick out the likes of Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Austria, W. Germany, Israel and Argentina etc.

http://brendonshelmets.weebly.com/

thetrenchman1918

Thank you for the link, but I believe we can rule out the Spanish copy due to chin strap

To me the chin strap looks identical to US helmets, when I get home tonight I will try to get a clearer picture, I do not think a copy helmet would use the exact same brass hardware and stitching, can anyone provide info on prototype m1's?

thetrenchman1918

I am wondering how the attachment of he bails compares to regular fixed bails?

Could any one provide a link or photo to a prototype M1, I do not want to get to excited until I have some comparison

thetrenchman1918

There is not one I can see but is possible that there is a lot of paint covering it

However if if does not have one, wouldn't that support the prototype theory?

There is not one I can see but is possible that there is a lot of paint covering it

However if if does not have one, wouldn't that support the prototype theory?

Not necessarily.

I can't say for sure, never having handled any prototypes! However, the lot # was for the steel plate production batch, not the individual helmet.