Uniform era

jason4473

Hello, I am not really a uniform guy I am into helmets mostly, Today I picked up an army Dress jacket cheap but what is puzzling me is there is no DSA or DSL letters all I see on one tag inside is "COAT,MENS ARMY GREEN" then it is followed by dry cleaning instructions, on the collar small tag "39 Regular 8405-01-330-7412" I have a feeling this is not a WWII era dress jacket am I correct? I would take pictures but the wife has the camera for the weekend at her nieces birthday :rolleyes: Any help would be appreciated thank you, Jason

Sounds like a early AG44 uniform from the late 50s.Is it more of a worsted wool than synthetic wool?? Hard to say with out a pic.

Yes the resembles it the liner is partly like a satin material to the left and right and on the center top on the inside.

Yes the resembles it the liner is partly like a satin material to the left and right and on the center top on the inside.

Yes that's your standard AG 44 Class A uniform, there were some that the PX sold one, I remember them way back in 1980-81 at the Main PX at Fort Hood, didn't like that poly look, the Wool winter and Wool/Poly issue types were far better looking in my estimation.

As I,m looking now at my old wool winter weight coat in hand right now, the numbers on the collar tag with the 01 would not be a date. My coat is a 1977 dated one, this is found on a tag in the inside pocket, this will be your DSA number, does your have this tag? on the tag on the inside top I see the same basic numbering, only mine say 37L 8405-00-86-5148, so the 00 will not be a date obviously as we know from it's DSA number that it is a 77 dated one, not sure what these numbers are on the collar tag, anyone else know?

It looks like it is from the early 1990's.

COAT,MAN'S
(NSN 8405013307412)

FSG (Federal Supply Group): 84 (Clothing, Individual Equipment, and Insignia)
FSC (Federal Supply Code): 8405 (Outerwear Mens)
Date NSN Established: 1990341 (December 07, 1990)

Techincal Specification:

CLOTH NAME SERGE MAIN BODY COLOR GREEN, US ARMY, 489 MAIN BODY GARMENT STYLE SINGLE BREASTED GARMENT CLOSING METHOD BUTTON FRONT GARMENT COLLAR TYPE NOTCHED LAPEL GARMENT SIZE 39 REGULAR ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION MOTH PROOF FEATURES PROVIDED SHOULDER LOOPS FIBER MATERIAL POLYESTER MAIN BODY AND WOOL MAIN BODY NONDEFINITIVE SPEC/STD DATA I TYPE AND 3 CLASS LINING DEGREE HALF LINED POCKET TYPE CARGO LEFT BREAST POCKET TYPE CARGO RIGHT BREAST POCKET TYPE SLASH INSIDE RIGHT BREAST POCKET TYPE SLASH LOWER LEFT FRONT POCKET TYPE SLASH LOWER RIGHT FRONT SPECIAL FEATURES POCKETS W/FLAP AND BUTTON CLOSURE USER DESIGNATOR ENLISTED MAN

Patches mine does not have a pocket tag that I can find I do not know why I bought it once again I find out stick to what I know I was taken by the 99th ID patch on the shoulder which I hope is good but where it was put on a jacket to deceive probably not. I will post that when the camera is back Monday now what to do with this jacket I do not need lol.

Patches mine does not have a pocket tag that I can find I do not know why I bought it once again I find out stick to what I know I was taken by the 99th ID patch on the shoulder which I hope is good but where it was put on a jacket to deceive probably not. I will post that when the camera is back Monday now what to do with this jacket I do not need lol.

The Shoulder Sleeve Insignia originally authorized for the 99th Division has been used by a number of other organizations since WWII, including the 99th ARCOM, 99th RCS, 99th RRC, etc. The AG Coat you have was likely worn by a member of one of these, depending on what time period it's from.

See here for the history of the 99th SSI: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Heraldry/ArmyDUISSICOA/ArmyHeraldryUnit.aspx?u=4202