Kabar USMC Antique Store Find

Yankee John

Yankee John

It's been a while since my last post!

I picked up this Kabar USMC knife at an antique store today. It's my 1st knife of this type. From what I have researched, It appears to be a legit WWII-issued knife with a round tang, no cross pin.

Includes the leather sheath. I have seen references to 9-staple sheaths- This one has 10 staples in it. Is this unusual?

Lots of parkerizing on the blade, except for the lower half where it was sharpened. And it is VERY sharp!

I paid $85 for it, which I thought was fair.

Any additional information or comments are welcomed!

John

kabar1_zps4f5db3b2.jpg

kabar2_zpsf9a84f9a.jpg

kabar3_zps2e09baf0.jpg

kabar4_zps70f751ad.jpg

kabar5_zps9b327fcd.jpg

kabar6_zpsc79fda9d.jpg

kabar9_zps2e5e4ba5.jpg

kabar10_zps25022dbc.jpg

kabar11_zps0243778d.jpg

kabar12_zps54810ea4.jpg

I agree a nice knife at a decent price. I am trying to remember off top of my head here, and can open a book when I get a chance later. If memory serves me, the early Kabar's had a red spacer in the handle, then after that, the blade was marked only Kabar and then the name with the Olean New York I believe was the third variation, toward the end of the war. Nice knife, congrats-Kevin

Still-A-Marine

I agree a nice knife at a decent price. I am trying to remember off top of my head here, and can open a book when I get a chance later. If memory serves me, the early Kabar's had a red spacer in the handle, then after that, the blade was marked only Kabar and then the name with the Olean New York I believe was the third variation, toward the end of the war. Nice knife, congrats-Kevin

Red Spacer 1st Generation: red spacer at guard, with red - black - red spacers at butt.

Red Spacer 2nd Generation: red spacer at guard, with three black spacers at butt.

Early war Ka-Bar: marked KA-BAR / OLEAN,N.Y. with USMC

Mid-War Ka-Bar: marked KA-BAR with large USMC

Late War Ka-Bar: marked KA-BAR with small USMC

The one posted is the early war version.

Bill

John

Very nice find for your first! Congratulations and keep in mind as Bill said "addiction" :). As we all know well, just ask my wife.

Tony

• 1 month later...

Red Spacer 1st Generation: red spacer at guard, with red - black - red spacers at butt.

Red Spacer 2nd Generation: red spacer at guard, with three black spacers at butt.

Early war Ka-Bar: marked KA-BAR / OLEAN,N.Y. with USMC

Mid-War Ka-Bar: marked KA-BAR with large USMC

Late War Ka-Bar: marked KA-BAR with small USMC

The one posted is the early war version.

Bill

Never knew this, great information.